Hinge removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: 2005 Escape 17
Washington
Hinge removal

I have decided to remove the back for the front seat (upper bunk) on my CT13 in order to make the seating more comfortable. The screws holding the hinge to the front window sill are frozen, every single one of them. Am I missing something as I have tried a screw driver and a vice-grips, nothing will even budge even one screw. Any help would be appreciated as this is my first post.
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Impact Screwdriver Set with Case
You can pick this up at harbor frieght or use a battery operated impact driver with a #3 bit. Good luck
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Another Uhaul owner had the same problem. He may have had to drill off the screw heads. I suggested an impact driver, the type that you hit with a hammer, but be careful. I also have one that fits into an air chisel gun. Another Uhaul owner may want that hinge, or the whole bunk assembly if you decide to sell it. Our Uhaul is missing that big "bubble" piece that the bunk sets on. Much more room without it. I installed a Casita captains chair in the front. Do you know that there is a Uhaul facebook group where you will find a lot of info.

Edit; like Mike shows is the tool I'm referring to
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #4

Washington
I had one of those manual impact wrenches but I gave it and several other misc. tools away to a friends son a few weeks ago. Every time I get rid of something that I haven’t used for years I end up needing it in a few weeks.
I now have a job for my new Bosch compressor after I buy a screw driver bit for my impact wrench.

Not to sure how extensive my modification will be as I have to look at it with the back removed first. Was thinking of making a removable cantilevered cooking counter top extension over the front seat.

I have tried to enter the uhaul portal on facebook but cant figure it out yet. Facebook is kind of frustrating to me.

I’m sure I will hang onto the seat back just in case a new owner would want to restore everything to original some day.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #5

New York
Keep in mind that the hinge is screwed into wood that is fiberglassed into the outer shell. I wouldn't get too aggressive with any impact tool in that area. Drilling the screw heads off may be the safest. You have to be approved by an administrator to get on the Facebook site. When you do get on look in the files section at the top, lot of info there and an interesting thread about common problems. Also good info here in the document center. You have to go down and click on "Uhaul" in the list of trailers to get to it.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:38 PM   #6

Washington
I bought a Phillips bit for my impact wrench today and tried to remove the hinge screws, I proceeded to twist the heads off of two of the screws then quit after that. They will not budge, I just do not understand what could be holding them in. Could they be reverse threads? I just cant see a rusted T-nut not breaking loose from the screw. Been searching the posts and cant find any posts addressing this problem. Remember if I break the heads off I may not be able to restore the bunk back to original later.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #7

New York
I don't know if there are T nuts under there. What I do know is that with the bunk gone and that big fiberglass "bubble" piece gone there is much better seating space. As for restoring the bunk later if all the screws break, maybe new holes could be drilled in the hinge to relocate the screws.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0081.jpg  
Old 10-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #8

Washington
I guess I will just jump in with both feet and start tearing it apart, I’m sure it will all work out.
Your bucket seat sure does look inviting. Thanks for your tips I know I will have more questions as this project moves on.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #9

New York
That is a chair from a Casita camper. I may install another next to it.