hinges have are falling off door how to rehang? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #1

Name: Carol
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
hinges have are falling off door how to rehang?

we have put new hinges on door of our 4500 trillium but they are not holding any ideas how to secure them?
burger cabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Post a couple of pictures.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Are the hinges not holding on the door or the body?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:18 AM   #4

Name: Carol
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
On the door
burger cabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:48 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I had to reset the hinges on my Trillium. I used a product call PC 11, an epoxy paste. There is also a PC 7 which is a putty. I chose the paste as it can be injected using a glue syringe found at most hardware stores. You can fill the holes and redrill. I had to do both door and trailer. Details are here.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...air-47624.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:50 AM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
For filling the holes instead of using the PC product use an epoxy putty stick. They are somewhat like a Tootsie Roll candy in that there is an inside core and wrapped around it is the second half of the epoxy mix. You cut off a slice then knead the slice to mix it. Rather than being a thin mix that is difficult to get into the hole you just push in the piece of putty with your finger until the hole is filled. It hardens very quickly so within an hour or so you can reinstall the hinge. The remainder of the stick keeps well if you wrap it back up and put a piece of tape over the exposed end. For hole filling you only need to take a small slice off the stick.

I usually by the epoxy putty sticks made for wood repair, it works great on fiberglass too. The advantage to it is the color is beige and the texture is smoother than some of the epoxy putty sticks made for metal repair. It is also great for repairing dings in the fiberglass shells. But you do want to trim any overfill off before it hardens as it get very hard to sand once it has cured.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
For filling the holes instead of using the PC product use an epoxy putty stick. They are somewhat like a Tootsie Roll candy in that there is an inside core and wrapped around it is the second half of the epoxy mix. You cut off a slice then knead the slice to mix it. Rather than being a thin mix that is difficult to get into the hole you just push in the piece of putty with your finger until the hole is filled. It hardens very quickly so within an hour or so you can reinstall the hinge. The remainder of the stick keeps well if you wrap it back up and put a piece of tape over the exposed end. For hole filling you only need to take a small slice off the stick.

I usually by the epoxy putty sticks made for wood repair, it works great on fiberglass too. The advantage to it is the color is beige and the texture is smoother than some of the epoxy putty sticks made for metal repair. It is also great for repairing dings in the fiberglass shells. But you do want to trim any overfill off before it hardens as it get very hard to sand once it has cured.
What you describe is similar to the PC 7. The reason I chose the paste over the putty is that it is very sticky.My thinking was that if it won't stick to your fingers, it won't stick in the hole very well either. A syringe makes application easy.

Good point on shaving it before it hardens.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
What you describe is similar to the PC 7. The reason I chose the paste over the putty is that it is very sticky.My thinking was that if it won't stick to your fingers, it won't stick in the hole very well either. A syringe makes application easy.

Good point on shaving it before it hardens.
It sticks just fine in the holes I used it to repair a lot of holes in my FG Sunrader from the tail light mounts to filling in the holes where the original roof rack used to be to fixing door hinges too as well as filling in screw holes that I created to attach a temporary backer plate for fiberglassing in the two large vent openings from the old fridge and the smaller one from the old propane furnace and some cracks that were in the bathroom shower pan as well as some cracks that were on the exterior along the lower edge. Great stuff!!!!
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by burger cabin View Post
On the door
If the door is basically intact and just the holes too loose to hold screws, try through bolts with fender (large OD flat) washers on the inside, use acorn nuts.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fall