Hints for the thermostat power switch? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
The on/off switch on my thermo is almost impossible to actuate. It's a chunk of plastic that meerly breaks a thin bit of tin to shut the thing off.

It is rather stiff, and I fear if I keep forcing it sideways, it will break.

Before I actually hard wire a toggle at the furnace breaker on just leave the thermo switch in the on position, is there an easier way?

I thought the thing was off and appearantly.. my battery was dead this morning.

In my old Burro, the fan wouldn't even come on if the propane was shut off. Might be different for a cat heater.. fail safe?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Gina, go to Wally World and for under $20.00 get the Hunter 42995B thermostat and install it. Takes about 20 minutes to install and is the berries
Old 03-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #3

Registry
The berries? I'd rather have chocolate!!!
Old 03-04-2007, 07:19 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Gina D,

Take Bill's word. Get rid of the mechanical thermostat and install the digital.

I had the same experience; I went out to the Casita when the temperature was around freezing and the furnace was cycling (trying to light). Fortunately, I had it plugged in to ground power. You may have killed your battery.

I just hope my propane valves were shut off and that the igniter didn't wear out. I hadn't been in the trailer since before Christmas.

This occured with the thermostat switch in the OFF position.

Note: The Hunter 42995B and 42999B are identical thermostats. The 42995B is packaged for sale exclusively at Mal-Wart.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #5

Registry
I would consider the digi thermo, except that...

even tho this trailer is bigger, with more "Stuff", I have just about rebuilt all the systems for energy efficiency. A digi would draw current when boondocking.

I discovered by accident, that the fan does not take up too much energywise, so I will try it for awhile and see if it suits my needs with the solar set up.

If not, I will add another panel, or an Olympian wave 6 cat heater at some point (When I win the lottery!)

At least the bathroom helps! I can lean the arry up against the door, flat and have room! In the 13, to get into the trailer for even a quick task, I had to pull the array out as it leaned against the front table, positioned so the weight was mostly over the axle.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
Aren't the Hunter t-stats powered by one or two AA batteries?

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Gina,
Aren't the Hunter t-stats powered by one or two AA batteries?

Kurt & Ann K.
Two AAs.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #8

Registry
Tossing batteries away is not my idea of a good time either.

I have just been popping the thermo cover off and switching it by hand at the top of the actualor. It's relatively easy.

I have box of switches, and it's low current, I can rig something later. Today I am having my fill of LED installation and sorting out the convertor, which drags down the PS for my TV and causes much distortion in my power amp.

Silly things!
Old 03-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 94 Casita Spirit Deluxe
If your mind is made up, sorry to make this point again.

I switched over to the Hunter digital and it was a very simple two-wire hookup. It runs on 2 AA batteries, and I use rechargables in my Casita. Hunter says they'll last for a year, so I'm putting them to the test. (To be clear, they are not wired to the trailer power at all. Only battery-powered.)

The precicion of the digital thermostat is it's best feature. The temp gets to and stays where I want it. When I'm not traveling, I turn it off. It still reads the tenperature, but it doesn't try to turn the furnace on or off.

The correct model has different numbers, but Hunter calls them all Just Right. I got mine on eBay for about $15.00 and had it in two days.
AZCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #10

Registry
I like one temperature...

Tropical!!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
Sorry about your dead battery. Your idea of an additional switch might work to your advantage. As I was trying to explain on the previous post. Without replacing the existing t-stat. Set the t-stat at the desired temp. Install the additional switch next to the head of your bed where you can operate it while lying there. That way you can turn it off just before going to sleep and turn it back on when the alarm goes off, roll over until the snooze alarm wakes you again, and McMansion will be nice and warm inside.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:19 PM   #12

Registry
I was at Lowes today getting stuff for a work project. I saw these things, so I picked one up. We'll see. I still don't like having batteries in stuff, but.. my CO2 detector in the 13 had the same battery in it as the day I bought it when I sold it last week. Works fine!

and Kurt, that is an excellent idea!
Old 03-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #13

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Gina:
Just disassembled the Hunter thermostat and found that the two momentary switches for Up or Down are pretty easy to tap into, so I'm going to put a single-pole double-throw momentary switch in a convenient place accessible from where my head is under the covers to control it. May be even better for you, since your bed is far from the thermostat.
Just a thought.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:34 AM   #14

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Gina:
Just disassembled the Hunter thermostat and found that the two momentary switches for Up or Down are pretty easy to tap into, so I'm going to put a single-pole double-throw momentary switch in a convenient place accessible from where my head is under the covers to control it. May be even better for you, since your bed is far from the thermostat.
Just a thought.
Why not spend about $35.00 and get a digital programable thermostat?
2 double A batteries to change a about once a year and you are set.
I have one in my Scamp and one in my home that controlls my pellet stove.
They hook up exactly like the one you are replacing.

John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:36 AM   #15

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
John:
Since I normally don't live in the trailer I rejected the idea. The system in the house never needs to be touched, but our schedule in the trailer is much too variable for a programmed schedule to make sense to me.

They sell a 42996 model which has a remote and that would probably do it, as if I needed a 5th remote for the trailer. My proposed extended up-and-down buttons do exactly what I need them to do: turn up the temperature before I get up, without having to crawl over the wife and wake her up to reach the thermostat and throw the (noisy on the old one) switch.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote