Hitch wiring plug options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2007, 06:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
As some of you know, I towed my dearly departed Boler with a Rav4 (also departed, but not missed so much). Now I am looking to move into a 17’ trailer, towing with my Nissan truck and I want to get a hitch ready in the next couple of days but need some advice please.

My main issue is the mounting of the wiring plug. On the Nissan factory hitch the hitch end of the plug is built right into the hitch bar. If I go to one of the local hitch shops they will have to fabricate a bracket or mounting plate of some sort to put the plug receiver end onto. I know on the Rav4 the hitch shop made a mounting bracket that bolted onto the hitch, but it always seemed like an add-on, wiggly and not too sturdy.

Are there other pros or cons to either situation that I should be considering? (Besides the obvious, dealer being more pricey)

Thanks for any input
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Here is my electrical socket, clamped onto the hitch receiver next to the stinger socket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0601.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	8977

It is a standard accessory I got at my local trailer supply retailer and installed myself.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
My main issue is the mounting of the wiring plug.
Are there other pros or cons to either situation that I should be considering? (Besides the obvious, dealer being more pricey)

Thanks for any input
I have a boat so like mine as high as possible. If you do not mind drilling a hole in your bumper here is the way I do it. Very sturdy!
John
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium.jpg  
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The story that they have to devise a way to mount it is a cryptic message that when decrypted means that they want to get a little deeper into your pocket.

I really like the example where it is mounted to the bumper.

Go to WalMart and look at the 7 pin receptacles and you will find that they either come with or that you can purchase a metal bracket that allows you to mount it to your tug and they also have the plastic box where you can store the cable.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Thanks for the replies. I like the bumper mounted example also, very clean!

I wonder why the hitch shop did such a scabby job on the Rav4 plug mounting if there are parts so readily available. Probably to increase their shop time...

There are 2 major hitch outfits in the city here, plus the option of going through the dealer. One thing's for sure, I won't be going back to the shop that did the Rav's hitch (which is sad because the owners are from my town and it's always nice to support the local guy).

Still debating with myself what to do, I think I will go pay the other hitch outfit a looky lou visit and check out how they would be mounting the plug.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I wonder why the hitch shop did such a scabby job on the Rav4 plug mounting if there are parts so readily available. Probably to increase their shop time...

There are 2 major hitch outfits in the city here, plus the option of going through the dealer. One thing's for sure, I won't be going back to the shop that did the Rav's hitch (which is sad because the owners are from my town and it's always nice to support the local guy).
One thing I've noticed about folks in a business like this is that they often get habitual, both in how they do it and where they get the parts from. They may not even be aware that there are better equipment choices available, so it might be worth stopping by and telling them about it, both for your benefit and theirs. It isn't always about increasing the 'billable hours', as the lawyers would say!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote