hitching question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #1

Name: Garry
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Manitoba
hitching question

Hi,
I have a 1972 Boler that is pretty much updated including axle, wheels and tires. I pull it with a Ford Ranger truck.
When pulling the trailer, I have the truck doing a little bounce from the teeter totter effect of the camper. On nice pavement it pulls like a dream but on pavement that has been there for some time or has small ridges, the ride is less than desired.
I have moved things a bit to try slightly changing the tongue weight. Not much result.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce the bounce?

Thanks,
Lionel
Lionel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
To some extent, I think what you're experiencing is typical for a light, short, tall trailer. Increasing tongue weight helps. Increasing overall weight also helps. Ours is smoother when packed for a trip than empty. Of course, I wouldn't pack unnecessary items just to make it heavier!

Sometimes changing speed helps when regularly-spaced road imperfections (expansion joints, for example) cause a resonant bounce.

Make sure you have eliminated all slop in the draw bar connection to the receiver.

I'm assuming the updated axle is appropriately rated for the actual weight of your loaded trailer. That should mean it is tuned for around 2000 pounds.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #3

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
lightweight...

given the lightweight and the fact you have a pick-up...if it's bouncing up and down after bumps/irrigularities in the road the truck needs new shocks and/or springs....again cause it's a TRUCK (it should just "laugh" at that amount of tounge weight)

on the other hand a WDH will fix your problem too...but then you'll have the extra work hitching/unhitching the trailer.....I'd "fix" the truck

JMO...everybody's got one......happy motoring
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Towing

Are you set up so the trailer is either dead level or slightly nose down? That and a tight coupler and stinger without slop might help you. Are tire pressures optimal? After that it's stuff that costs a little money but not a lot if it's only shocks on the truck. My $.02.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:02 AM   #5

Manitoba
hitching

The shocks are fine. No problem with just the truck.
I have another trailer to pull my ATV. It rides fine. The tongue weight is much heavier.
I think the camper is fairly level.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #6

Manitoba
picture

Trying to upload a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
V 2016 2.jpg