Holes and Harvest Gold - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
That's 2 separate questions actually. Just finished the first real job, other than scrubbing for days. Sandblasted the stovetop, to find Harvest Gold underneath, with the original Coleman nameplate. I'd love to keep the Harvest Gold color paint, but I have read here that the stovetop has to be painted with the Hi-temperature paints. They only come in silver and black at Canadian Tire. Would it work if I could find the harvest gold, to use it on the base of the stovetop, and just used the hi-temp for the grill things? Has anyone tried this?
This new 74 Boler is just peppered with holes, old screw holes mostly, eg. in the door from old padlocks,on closet walls, old hinges, the patio light (wouldn't that be just a bug magnet beside the door?), etc. How are we fixing those holes. I've seen lots of pics of oodles of repairs, inside and out. I'll soon be at the painting stage, but thought I should at least consider fixing holes we likely will never use again. Can we use the same product on the interior and exterior? Thanks for the help!
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
The patio light will not be a bug magnet if you use an amber lens.

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:37 AM   #3

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
... This new 74 Boler is just peppered with holes, old screw holes mostly, eg. in the door from old padlocks,on closet walls, old hinges, the patio light (wouldn't that be just a bug magnet beside the door?), etc. How are we fixing those holes. I've seen lots of pics of oodles of repairs, inside and out. I'll soon be at the painting stage, but thought I should at least consider fixing holes we likely will never use again. Can we use the same product on the interior and exterior? Thanks for the help!
On my sister's Compact Jr. I used a two-part fiberglass repair putty made by Elmer's and bought at Lowe's. It comes in two little plastic tubs, and when mixed is about the consistency of cake frosting. I used a putty knife to moosh it into the holes, let it harden overnight, sand a bit, then paint. Seems to have worked okay.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 74 Honey Boler
Quote:
That's 2 separate questions actually. Just finished the first real job, other than scrubbing for days. Sandblasted the stovetop, to find Harvest Gold underneath, with the original Coleman nameplate. I'd love to keep the Harvest Gold color paint, but I have read here that the stovetop has to be painted with the Hi-temperature paints. They only come in silver and black at Canadian Tire. Would it work if I could find the harvest gold, to use it on the base of the stovetop, and just used the hi-temp for the grill things? Has anyone tried this?
This new 74 Boler is just peppered with holes, old screw holes mostly, eg. in the door from old padlocks,on closet walls, old hinges, the patio light (wouldn't that be just a bug magnet beside the door?), etc. How are we fixing those holes. I've seen lots of pics of oodles of repairs, inside and out. I'll soon be at the painting stage, but thought I should at least consider fixing holes we likely will never use again. Can we use the same product on the interior and exterior? Thanks for the help!

Try the high heat brake caliper paint from Canuck tire. It's more resistant to chemicals and is a glossy finish like the original enamel. You spray it on, then bake it at 200 degrees to season it. It comes in a few different colours. I used the blue for my stovetop and furnace cover. It looks really nice.
J Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 1991 Bigfoot 17 ft
Quote:
Try the high heat brake caliper paint from Canuck tire. It's more resistant to chemicals and is a glossy finish like the original enamel. You spray it on, then bake it at 200 degrees to season it. It comes in a few different colours. I used the blue for my stovetop and furnace cover. It looks really nice.
Got any pictures for us ??? Would love to see it ! thanks Mitch
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I tried a non-high-heat paint on the corresponding top panel of a home electric range, and found that it discoloured with the heat.

The brake caliper paint sounds like a reasonable suggestion to me... but I've never seen a Harvest Gold brake caliper (they're usually red, black, primary stuff...). I did paint a Datsun engine block gold once, with engine paint which can handle a lot of heat, but it wasn't the subdued Harvest Gold shade.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Thanks for all the help. Found a Tremclad paint that is pretty close to harvest gold, for Farm Implements. CAT yellow. Might try that, and if it discolors, try again. Re the holes in the rigid fibreglass inside, can't find the one product suggested in our town. Anything else? How big does a hole have to be before it needs fibreglass cloth..Thanks again!
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:28 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
Thanks for all the help. Found a Tremclad paint that is pretty close to harvest gold, for Farm Implements. CAT yellow. Might try that, and if it discolors, try again. Re the holes in the rigid fibreglass inside, can't find the one product suggested in our town. Anything else? How big does a hole have to be before it needs fibreglass cloth..Thanks again!
I think you'll probably be disappointed by the performance of Tremclad...

As far as hole size, I don't know authoritatively, but I think if it's smaller than a dime, you may be able to get away with filling it with putty (bondo, etc). Otherwise, I would put some cloth in. Certainly if the 'hole' has a longitudinal component (crack) then I would strengthen with cloth.
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote