Honda 2000i Running an Air Conditioner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Running watts of a Honda 2000i is 1600. Surge watts is 2000.
Micro Air's easy start, thread linked below, reduces the starting current of a typical AC 50% or more making it possible for a Honda or other 2000 watt inverted start a 13,000 AC.
One person in a motor home can run his 13k btu AC on his BATTERY BANK FOR TWO HOURS USING AN INVERTER with his micro Air easy start.

As far as hard start capacitors like a Supco most newer AC's come with a hard start cap installed already taylored for that unit. A Supco cap on my dometic AC actually made starting it worse.

Nobody that has installed a Micro Air easy start has been disapointed, they're actually thrilled, with the results. Here's the thread. I suggest you read it and the generator shootout that's mentioned too.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tor-76833.html

Further the hotter the temperature the harder an AC is to start. 90 degrees seems to be the breaking point. With Micro Air's easy start makes it easy to start.
And the BTU rating does make a difference, it takes a larger compressor that draws more current for more BTU's.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #22

Name: Dale
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
It takes a second to start on auto throttle with the one on my stick trailer, but it does run it without issues, It will also run my microwave (not at the same time) but running the microwave makes it rev to the moon!

One of those try it and find out, the internet answers will always vary
dbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #23

Name: Garland
Trailer: Escape 19
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
One Honda 2000 won't run the 13,500 BTU air conditioner.
I can run our Mach 8 13,500btu with our eu2000i, even with a propane conversion kit. I am at sea level, though, and have the soft start kit from Micro Air.
FlaGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:47 PM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Scary....you should see her hair!!

I guess blew up was a strong word maybe I should have said burnt out. All I know is it cost hi, $600 to get it fixed at a Honda dealer.
Gerry,
Any idea what was damaged and why it cost $600. That's 60% of the cost of a new one. Ouch!
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Gerry,
Any idea what was damaged and why it cost $600. That's 60% of the cost of a new one. Ouch!

That's about the cost of the inverter

Joe
Old 03-15-2017, 06:56 PM   #26

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
That's about the cost of the inverter

Joe
That's true! But an inverter will not run the A/C for long and if you live and boondock in the southern states, the EU2000 is a nice to have item.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:22 AM   #27

CPW

I was referring to the inverter inside the Honda generator being about $600 installed.

Honda eu20001 generators generate high freequency AC that is changed to DC current that is then ran through an inverter to produce 120 volts AC. The inverter is the most expensive part in the generator.

Joe

Joe
Old 03-16-2017, 06:30 AM   #28

Florida
Quote:
CPW

I was referring to the inverter inside the Honda generator being about $600 installed.
Joe
Joe, gotcha!
I Read your post with the impression that you were referring to an onboard inverter in the trailer, eliminating the need for a generator to provide 120vac power (a less expensive though shorter use alternative).

But even so, I am wondering why the Honda in question would "lose" its inverter rather than going into overload mode given the circumstances described. Have you heard of many cases of inverter damage in the Honda 2000?
Old 03-16-2017, 07:01 AM   #29

CPW

You asked what was "blown up" when the hair dryer was plugged in that cost $600 to replace and that was my answer to your question

Besides most trailers don't have an "onboard INVERTER".
What they have is a converter.

Joe
Old 03-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #30

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
There Trailer is an older 5th wheel and your right it has a converter. I guess you got to know the guy to understand that if there was something freaky going to happen it would happen to him. And the response would be "Oh Well"
I explain to him that over the past 9 years I have known him, every time he says "Oh well" it costs him money.
I personally do not know much about generators so if you say it should have done this or that it all may be true, but my point was if say a generator is rated for 2000watt and your trying to draw say 4000 watts, it just wont work.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #31

The Honda manual says frequent overloading will lead to failure.

Oh Well
Old 03-16-2017, 10:15 AM   #32

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Joe, gotcha!
I Read your post with the impression that you were referring to an onboard inverter in the trailer, eliminating the need for a generator to provide 120vac power (a less expensive though shorter use alternative).

But even so, I am wondering why the Honda in question would "lose" its inverter rather than going into overload mode given the circumstances described. Have you heard of many cases of inverter damage in the Honda 2000?
I've cooked a couple of inverters on bigger Honda generators. Both were likely overloaded one too many times. Mostly using welders or coring machines. Sometimes both at once.
ChrisDunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #33

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
As my buddy said....."Oh Well" and had a new one the next time we went camping and his wife still blows her hair in the mornings....I've tried to tell him, but now I just say You got it..."Oh Well"
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #34

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I might want to blow up cheaper clones instead of Hondas myself
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #35

Florida
Quote:
CPW

You asked what was "blown up" when the hair dryer was plugged in that cost $600 to replace and that was my answer to your question

Joe
Joe,
Please do not respond to me as if I am stupid, I am not. I simply misread your response.
I am well aware of the difference between an inverter and a converter. I own an Escape. For your information, one of the options Escape offers is an inverter in addition to the converter which is standard in almost every camping trailer. Escape also offers a solar panel as well as dual 6-volt batteries. And they offer a whole bunch of other options that are not offered by Scamp or Casita. While I did not opt for an inverter in mine, I know of several Escape owners who did. Apparently you are unaware that some manufacturers offer technology that perhaps Casita does not.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #36

In my response I said

I didn't say NONE have inverters, just most.