hood for 2 burner stove - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
I'm looking to add a hood above the 2 burner stove- but I only have 4 inches from the bottom of the fiberglass shelves to the window.
Anyone know of anything that would fit? It can be 20" long across.
78' trillium

Cyndi
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Tripple E Surfside
I just went to The Metal Supermarket,
and got a colored piece (I wanted Red)of Aluminum, and bent it myself to the shape I needed.
Then I airbrushed the Coca Cola name on the surface.
I put 2 hinges on it,
so it would flip upwards to the right(keeps it out of the way when your cooking).

Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Gee, it's awfully hard to visualize.... (hint, hint )

(And I want to see a red aluminum Coca-Cola vent hood )

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
ooooh, check out all the red diamond plate stuff!
On eBay Red Diamond Plate
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Ooh, me likey!

(I wonder what makes it red (i.e. coating, or..?); I don't see where they say.)
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #6

Hummm, don't know. I've purchased stuff from CutsMetal before. I see the diamond plate is not only in silver, but red (two tints), black, and blue (two tints). Totally cool.

Check out the garbage cans! Diamond Plate Trash Can
Old 03-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Ooooooooo, Donna, thank you for that link to CutsMetal! We've been wanting to add a "backsplash" behind the cooktop & sink counter to protect the rodent fuzz on the wall. Thinking, thinking ... L 'n D
Old 03-20-2009, 07:14 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer 13 ft / 2005 Honda Element
Cyndi,
You might try a rectangular aluminum cake pan screwed upside down to your cabinet. One member here did that to their trailer (Casita I believe) and it looked great. It was painted to match the cabinets and blended in well.

Eric
ERIC B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Ooooooooo, Donna, thank you for that link to CutsMetal! We've been wanting to add a "backsplash" behind the cooktop & sink counter to protect the rodent fuzz on the wall. Thinking, thinking ... L 'n D
For backsplash material available from Home Depot or Lowes types places, check this topic:
Kitchen & Backsplash, 2 Kitch

For the cake pan idea Eric posted, I'll look for the topic and post the results later... gotta go to work!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Hi Eric,
I think it may have been my range hood "mod" you're recalling. I didn't like the factory installed one. It just looked too big and clunky for this small of a galley area. I used a Wearever aluminum baking sheet (approx. 13" X 17"). I cut the back lip off so that it fit flush with the front face of the overhead cabinet, spray painted (primer and gloss white), drilled and riveted it in place, and sealed all the edges with white silicone sealant. I replaced the original vent fan (integral with the original range hood) with two 12 volt dc pancake computer fans. To wire the fans, I utilized the existing 12 volt wiring from the original light fixture of the original hood. The switch (right side of overhead cabinet) is just a simple on/off toggle switch. The fans work good and you can barely hear them when running. It really opened up the galley area considerably.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3_20_2009_007.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	18610
Attached Thumbnails
3_20_2009_008.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #11

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Greg Finke
That's the best one I've seen.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #12

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
[quote]
Attachment 18610

Now that is cool. I love simple solutions that use readily available materials in innovative ways, and you're right, you don't actually need a "hood" to pull stove top smoke out, just an airflow pattern that pulls the smoke toward the exhaust, and your hood looks like it would do the trick. [on edit: Egads! That is the worst run-on sentence I've posted in a long, long time!]

Your design also gives me an idea on a solution that will work both for our kitchen and Cindi's, both of which have windows over the stove that reduce the wall space for a hood. I'll draw it up and post it later today.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #13

Registry
Thanks all for the kudos. I hope it works out well for you. It really was a pretty simple and straight-forward installation. By the way, I found that a composite cut-off wheel on my 3" air grinder worked really good for cutting the lip off the aluminum baking sheet. As to mounting the pancake fans, I used a chunk of that marine plastic sheet material (1/2" thick) that they sell under the name Starboard <sup>™</sup>. It's probably available at several places, but I bought it at West Marine. I drilled out two holes with a hole saw and mounted the fans inside the holes, (flush mounted,) as opposed to surface mounting them. I suppose either would work, but it just looked a little "cleaner" this way.

Greg
Old 03-20-2009, 06:36 PM   #14

thanks Greg! Great mod that many may find useful, I'm glad you were able to repost it
Old 03-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #15

Trailer: Surfside 14
I hope Cyndi likes Greg's plan--I certainly do!

Could you describe the design of the outside exhaust/vent exit? I'd like to work out a low profile but weatherproof vent for two computer fans to a Surf Side that never had a stove vent.

Thank you

FM
Francis McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:20 AM   #16

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
[quote]Hi Eric,
I think it may have been my range hood "mod" you're recalling. I didn't like the factory installed one. It just looked too big and clunky for this small of a galley area. I used a Wearever aluminum baking sheet (approx. 13" X 17"). I cut the back lip off so that it fit flush with the front face of the overhead cabinet, spray painted (primer and gloss white), drilled and riveted it in place, and sealed all the edges with white silicone sealant. I replaced the original vent fan (integral with the original range hood) with two 12 volt dc pancake computer fans. To wire the fans, I utilized the existing 12 volt wiring from the original light fixture of the original hood. The switch (right side of overhead cabinet) is just a simple on/off toggle switch. The fans work good and you can barely hear them when running. It really opened up the galley area considerably.

Attachment 18610

Yes! That's perfect! I probably have some leftover computer cases (with fans intact) I can use! AND the fans can't be more than 3 inches wide- works perfect! Very inventive!
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #17

Registry
Here's a link to find the exterior vent for the exhaust setup.<a href="http://www.ventline.com/Prod.asp?ID=5&ProdID=51" target="_blank">
</a>
http://www.ventline.com/Prod.asp?ID=5&ProdID=51
Attached Thumbnails
005.JPG   004.JPG  

Old 03-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #18

Trailer: Surfside 14
Quote:
Here's a link to find the exterior vent for the exhaust setup.

Thanks heaps, Greg. That's not too hard to approximate. Incidentally, did you engineer your fan mounting centres or go by instinct?
Francis McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Thanx, Donna, for the link. Jogged my memory about the earlier 'backsplash' thread. And thanx to Greg for reposting his kitchen mod - great job. L 'n D
Old 03-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #20

Registry
Francis,
The pancake fan mounting material (Starboard <sup>tm</sup>) piece was cut large enough to completely cover the rough opening created for the exterior vent hole. I sized the holes for the fans based on the size of the particular fans I used (I think that they may well be a pretty standard size, but I don't know that to be absolutely true). To mount the new fan board against the bulkhead, I used a couple of small 90 degree angle brackets, one on each side. I used screws to mount the angles to the Starboard material, and then drilled and pop-riveted the whole thing to the bulkhead surface. Please remember to not drill through too far so that you don't punch a hole all the way through the exterior fiberglass trailer wall. I only drilled through the interior backsplash fiberglass liner only. There is enough space between the two surfaces, due to the ubiquitous carpet bulkhead liner, to accommodate the rivet head between the two walls (inner and outer). Then, just caulk your seams with white silicone sealant to dress the edges for appearance and to prevent oily smoke and such from working its way under the board. Just makes it easier to wipe down and keep clean. Hope this helps.
Greg