Horizon Awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2002, 11:20 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Horizon Awning

Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to keep the Horizon awning from filling up with water during winter storage? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe Manzi

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 12:10 PM   #2

Hi Joe!

Hi Joe! I think the awning box is supposed to be water tight ... and I seem to recall someone had some work done by Dometic A&E on the case.

Having said that, both of mine got a little damp, particularly during a heavy rain.

I just make a practice of opening the awning occasionally, and even occasionally clean the awning with a mild soap and a pushbroom.

Are you taking the Casita to Florida this winter? Sounds like you're considering leaving it at home. What's up with that?

Old 10-24-2002, 07:21 AM   #3

Horizon Awning-Manzi

Hi Charles, thanks for your reply. My Horizon awning is anything but water tight. The lip faces up & rain just runs right in. The water gets into the folds of the fabric & hardware gets wet too.
Not to bad in the summer when you use the awning & it gets a chance to dry out. But in winter it will never get a chance to dry up & just hasten the deteriation of the awning. The fabric is very light weight & should be kept dry & treated with care.
About Florida, I have a big ole box trailer stored there at Mary's fish camp. So will leave the Casita here & drive down in my convertable & have a chance to use that car. Florida is convertable car country. But previously always took the pickup as I was always towing one trailer or another someplace. So this year a little change of plans. Ah, I can already feel the sun on my shoulders & a warm wind in my face. Can't wait to put that rag top down.
I use to tow my 13 Casita with the rag top but the new 17 is a bit much to tow with a Chrysler LeBaron. Anyhow, thats the plan for now.
But check out the lip on your awning & you'll see how the opening is up Charles. MANZI