Hot water Bypass not working? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2021, 10:17 AM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Hot water Bypass not working?

Am I missing something? On my Casita 2019 when I drain my water heater & leave the plug out water still runs into the water heater. No matter which way I turn the valve. I have removed it & reinstalled it. I have reversed it. Today I replaced it & water still runs into the heater.
I hooked up my water hose to the freshwater fill with an on & off valve. I turn on the hose & water flows out the water heater. Cut off the hose & switch the position of the valve & water still tuns out. Even the same results with the water pump. The last couple of years I poured 5 gallons of RV antifreeze into the water tank & pump it through the lines. I was hoping to avoid this year?
Is my plumbing not done correctly? Any ideas?
( I did reinstall the valve back the way it came from the factory.)
Attached Thumbnails
Valve.jpg   Valve reversed.jpg  

jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I do not see a valve on the upper connection. If that is true, Water is back flushing through the top connection.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:29 PM   #3

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
I do not see a valve on the upper connection. If that is true, Water is back flushing through the top connection.
Thanks I will check it out.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:06 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
Am I missing something? On my Casita 2019 when I drain my water heater & leave the plug out water still runs into the water heater. ..
Looks to me that if you put the plug back in and keep the pressure relief valve closed, then the water heater will be sealed and water will not enter it because of the air pressure. But as soon as you release the air in the water heater, then water can flow back up to the hot outlet of the water heater. With the water heater sealed up (plug in) then water or antifreeze will flow out the rest of the hot water plumbing.

If for some reason you wanted to winterize with the plug out then a second valve would be needed.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:13 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Ditto.
And this is an illustration of the bypass valves on my Escape, for example. There are two of them ( bottom one is harder to see ).
Attached Thumbnails
bypass.JPG  
Old 09-29-2021, 08:46 PM   #6

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Looks to me that if you put the plug back in and keep the pressure relief valve closed, then the water heater will be sealed and water will not enter it because of the air pressure. But as soon as you release the air in the water heater, then water can flow back up to the hot outlet of the water heater. With the water heater sealed up (plug in) then water or antifreeze will flow out the rest of the hot water plumbing.

If for some reason you wanted to winterize with the plug out then a second valve would be needed.
Ok thanks for the information. I will give it a try.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:49 PM   #7

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Ditto.
And this is an illustration of the bypass valves on my Escape, for example. There are two of them ( bottom one is harder to see ).
Thanks. The Casita only has the one. Looking at other Capita plumbing pictures mine seems to be correct.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #8

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
On my current 2011 and previous 2012 Casita SD the valve is flipped around 180 degrees. Such that you cannot see the actual lever but have to put your hand around the back side of the valve between the valve body and the WH to figure out whether or not it is in bypass mode.

Not sure if your valve is set up like this or not. Try disconnecting the valve and flipping it around left to right to see if that corrects the problem.

Let us know what you did when you finally get it corrected.

jon
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:08 PM   #9

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon carpenter View Post
On my current 2011 and previous 2012 Casita SD the valve is flipped around 180 degrees. Such that you cannot see the actual lever but have to put your hand around the back side of the valve between the valve body and the WH to figure out whether or not it is in bypass mode.

Not sure if your valve is set up like this or not. Try disconnecting the valve and flipping it around left to right to see if that corrects the problem.

Let us know what you did when you finally get it corrected.

jon
Thanks. It was switched back. Same problem. I gotta rest my brain. I will winterize it in November. Maybe by then, I can figure it out. If I can't, I will continue pouring RV Antifreeze in the water tank & pump it through the system.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:47 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Just curious… Did you try putting the plug back in and closing the relief valve as suggested?
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:42 PM   #11

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Just curious… Did you try putting the plug back in and closing the relief valve as suggested?
Not yet. We are still using the camper. I will try it when I close up for the winter.
Old 10-01-2021, 04:50 AM   #12

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Diverters location

Quote:
Ours also has two bypass valves both at the hot water tank.

We changed the copper plumbing about 12 years ago and added a larger 4 gallon hot water tank but the layout is the same. The two diverter valves are at the in and out hot water tank locations.
Hope this helps. The T's go to the sink and back to the toilet and shower taps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3786.jpg  
Old 10-06-2021, 10:28 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
Am I missing something? On my Casita 2019 when I drain my water heater & leave the plug out water still runs into the water heater. No matter which way I turn the valve. I have removed it & reinstalled it. I have reversed it. Today I replaced it & water still runs into the heater.
I hooked up my water hose to the freshwater fill with an on & off valve. I turn on the hose & water flows out the water heater. Cut off the hose & switch the position of the valve & water still tuns out. Even the same results with the water pump. The last couple of years I poured 5 gallons of RV antifreeze into the water tank & pump it through the lines. I was hoping to avoid this year?
Is my plumbing not done correctly? Any ideas?
( I did reinstall the valve back the way it came from the factory.)
On my 2014 the valve is hidden and not like I see yours facing front. Some time ago i recall someone saying these will not work if facing front. Mine failed last year . After getting a new one from Casita I wanted to change mine so I could spot it right away. Was told not to.
oldsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:43 AM   #14

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
On my 2014 the valve is hidden and not like I see yours facing front. Some time ago i recall someone saying these will not work if facing front. Mine failed last year . After getting a new one from Casita I wanted to change mine so I could spot it right away. Was told not to.
Yea I did the same thing last year. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2021, 03:36 PM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2019 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Maryland
I had the same problem with my 2019 SD and called Casita Service. They said the valve is most likely defective. They suggested either replacing the valve or tap on it with a wrench or hard object to get it to close.
Tim from MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:16 PM   #16

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim from MD View Post
I had the same problem with my 2019 SD and called Casita Service. They said the valve is most likely defective. They suggested either replacing the valve or tap on it with a wrench or hard object to get it to close.
THNKS! A new one will be coming in tomorrow. I am hoping this one works.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:22 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Casita uses one selector valve on the cold side and a check valve on the hot line. Sounds like your check valve is bad. Some times you can you can free it up with a light tap with a wrench but the best bet is to replace the check valve.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:10 AM   #18

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Casita uses one selector valve on the cold side and a check valve on the hot line. Sounds like your check valve is bad. Some times you can you can free it up with a light tap with a wrench but the best bet is to replace the check valve.
Eddie
Thanks! You are the first to mention this valve. I got out my Casita A-Z guide & it shows the hot water check valve. They even say it gets stuck & to tap with a hammer.
I will try this & I ordered one from the Casita store already.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:21 AM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
SO there is a check (one way) valve somewhere in the top portion of the photo or at the hot outlet on the tank? Check valves fail a lot. A little corrosion or debris can be a problem. Since you have to reach in and turn one valve anyway, why not just put in a decent ball valve on the outlet pipe? It will last for decades.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:01 AM   #20

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Gordon2 has the answer. Why mess with a check valve to begin with.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote