Hot water heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #1

Name: Ann
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Hot water heater

When I try to light my hot water heater on propane (2003) With inside switch the light goes on and off and then on and off but water isn’t staying hot. Any suggestions?
asmckinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:35 AM   #2

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
Question

Let me see if I'm understanding the problem: Turn switch on; burner comes on and heats water to acceptable temp; come back x hours later and the water is not hot even though you have not turned HWH off. Correct? Is the pilot light still on?

It is normal for the switch light to go off once the pilot light is lit.

If the pilot light is still on the problem is probably with the temperature sensor (thermostat).

If the pilot light is off it is a problem with the pilot light.

What make and model?

I assume there is gas to the unit and there is water in it.
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #3

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmckinl View Post
When I try to light my hot water heater on propane (2003) With inside switch the light goes on and off and then on and off but water isn’t staying hot. Any suggestions?
If it is like ours the light on the switch goes out after the water is heated and only comes on when the pilot lights and heats again. If your water is not getting hot enough then it could be the temperature sensor. Have you cleaned the pilot? Maybe it is not letting the gas through enough. If you have a winter bypass is it turned correctly to let hot water come through correctly. Need more info to help you.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:54 AM   #4

Georgia
Thank you for your help. I find it is intermittent so cleaning will hopefully solve the problem.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #5

Georgia
Thank you for your suggestions!
Old 09-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #6

Georgia
Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmckinl View Post

Why would you want to heat HOT water? That thing is a WATER HEATER
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Why would you want to heat HOT water? That thing is a WATER HEATER
And why would anyone post such a response unless the intent is to attempt to put someone down or make them look stupid? In reality, once the water heater is started, every time the temperature drops slightly and the thermostat kicks in, it is further heating water that is already hot. Such a post serves no helpful purpose.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:54 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
And why would anyone post such a response ...Such a post serves no helpful purpose.
Seems to apply to the post, and also the reply.

Well at least he didnt say something about his trailer breaks! Another of my pet peeves.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
In my experience, Carl does not appreciate humour ( humor ).
Old 09-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #11

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
In my experience, Carl does not appreciate humour ( humor ).
Carl appreciates humor as much as anyone else. What Carl doesn’t appreciate is sarcastic or unhelpful posts. Nor does Carl appreciate snarky posts, which is what the post I responded to was, not humor. You want humor, how about this?

The second N is silent. Perhaps the first N and every letter before it should also be. Now that is humorous.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:09 AM   #12

Georgia
Water heater

I can appreciate humor. Even if I’m the brunt of the joke. All is good here 😁
p.s.: I just sold it.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:13 AM   #13

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
.... What Carl doesn’t appreciate is sarcastic or unhelpful posts. Nor does Carl appreciate snarky posts, which is what the post I responded to was, not humor. ...
One mans humor is another man's snarky...snarky posts should be reported to admin who will make a judgement on their appropriateness. No need to reply to them.

I find pleonasms and semantics in the English language amusing at times (including the one in question). I think the same thing every time I hear it called a hot water heater (especially when it is in the title). The use of that term has been discussed civilly on this forum before. Maybe we can we all agree to call it a cold water heater? But where is the humor in that? And what if I tell you how much I enjoyed my "burning campfire?" Is there any other kind of fire? And let me repeat that again.. oh wait.. there I go again.. repeating means again so "repeat that again" is saying the same thing twice in three words .
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:43 AM   #14

Florida
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
One mans humor is another man's snarky...snarky posts should be reported to admin who will make a judgement on their appropriateness. No need to reply to them.

I find pleonasms and semantics in the English language amusing at times (including the one in question). I think the same thing every time I hear it called a hot water heater (especially when it is in the title). The use of that term has been discussed civilly on this forum before. Maybe we can we all agree to call it a cold water heater? But where is the humor in that? And what if I tell you how much I enjoyed my "burning campfire?" Is there any other kind of fire? And let me repeat that again.. oh wait.. there I go again.. repeating means again so "repeat that again" is saying the same thing twice in three words .
You are right, Gordon. It has and can be discussed with civility, which from a small handful of people on this forum seems to be an impossibility. And there are a few who make every attempt to force their concept of what constitutes “proper” camping and what accessories are “acceptable,” such as generators and rear view cameras for example.
I can understand how you feel about trailer “breaks,” or “axels” for that matter. And all the people who write “If I was you.....” But my point is, if you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all. I mean, what does it hurt if someone calls a water heater a hot water heater. Maybe it is incorrect but there isn’t a person alive who is perfect (makes no mistakes). People who criticize others are throwing stones yet they too live in glass houses, and would likely be offended if someone criticized their use of a term. Humor is one thing, but what I responded to was not humor; it was mean spirited and should not be considered acceptable here. But it seems that this lack of civility is becoming the norm in today’s society.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I've seen this before. Usually the temperature sensor. When it fails the drop in water temp isn't detected so the unit doesn't relight to keep the water temp up.
Could also be the thermocouple. When it fails the gas valve closes and the pilot light goes out.
I suggest checking to see if the pilot light stays lit after the tank heats and the burner shuts off.
With all the vibration from roading and the dust and moisture that may collect on them, sometimes the electrical connections get dirty or corrode. Although my unit doesn't use pilot lights I just dealt with this issue regarding my fridge. I powered it up and nothing happened. I pulled of the connections, blew out the dust and plugged them back in. Success until they get dirty again.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote