Hot water tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #1

Hot water tank

I have a 1978 boler 1700. I took it out for the first time this last weekend, so everything is new to me. The faucet has hot and cold taps. The cold works fine but nothing comes out of the hot tap. I can light the hot water tank. There appears the be a hose attachment on the bottom of the hot water tank. Does it have to be primed to start? I can't find any information on how the hot side works. Any ideas?
Thanks Dennis
Dennis Hannaburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Someone else that has a Boler will pop in soon. Sounds like a valve that is turned off either to the hot water tank inlet or maybe to the hot tap. Do you know when you hooked up the water if you heard water going into the water heater tank? Or you could remove the drain plug to make sure water is in the tank. Probably a valve under the sink needs to be opened.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
If it were a Casita I'd suspect the heater was bypassed during winterizing. And there is always a stuck oneway valve at either the input or output at the back side of the water heater. Which is where the bypass valve is if installed although in the piping at the rear. not on the heater itself (usually).
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
As has been suggested you most likely need to look for a by pass valve between where the city water comes into the trailer and the hot water tank.

Before you do that though if the trailer has been sitting and was winterized you should open it up and drain it and clean it out... whats in it may not be nice.

Also if there is to much air trapped in the hot water tank it may not be filling. Once you open up the by pass valve & hook up the city water connection also go outside and open up the pressure relief valve while the tank is filling until water runs out of it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Here is a picture of the pressure relief valve open.
Attached Thumbnails
anode relief valve open.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Yup thats it Glenn!

There should be a sign over every hot water tap in my trailer that reads "Failure to release the pressure valve while filling hot water tank will result in an unplanned bath when turning on hot water tap"
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:27 AM   #7

Thanks guys for the info
Dennis Hannaburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:48 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Here's a picture of the bottom area of my water heater showing the bypass switch in bypassed position. The other position (water heater in the loop) would be rotated 90 degrees down. The water comes from the left in this picture (note arrow on fitting).

Note: weasel-words added:
I should note, however, that my setup allows cold water to come out of the hot faucet even if the heater is bypassed. In other words, in my setup, regardless of the bypass switch setting...something will come out of the hot faucet. So, the bypass switch may not be your problem after all. Depends on how your trailer is plumbed. Check valve problems are a possibility as mentioned by others earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
BypassValve.JPG  
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote