Hot Water Tank Sanitizing? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2020, 02:23 PM   #1

Name: Maria
Trailer: Parkliner 2018
Maryland
Hot Water Tank Sanitizing?

Hi all. I put my Parkliner in the storage facility July 31 with water in the hot water tank thinking that I was going out again w/in 2 weeks. Well, 4-5 weeks later we haven't had 2 consecutive rain free days. I'm going camping Tuesday 9/2 and wonder how do I sanitize the hot water tank? By now I'm sure that the water in it is stagnant, maybe even growing ugly things and not safe.

1) how do I sanitize it.
2) Also, when hooked up to shore water (I have water pressure gauge & water filter), does the hot water tank automatically fill? (I've only camped once since buying it July 18 and when I got to the campground, the very nice gentleman host did it all for me, he even undid everything when it was time to leave. This time I'll be on my own, unless some nice camper or campground host is around to answer my questions ).

So, how to sanitize the hot water tank after water has been in it for 5 weeks?

Many thanks.
Maria in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria in MD View Post
So, how to sanitize the hot water tank after water has been in it for 5 weeks?

You don't. Once a year, I remove the anode to drain the tank for winter. That's it.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #3

Name: CHET
Trailer: 2019 ParkLiner
NV
If you're having an issue with odor, grab some "Water Freshener" from Walmart or anywhere they sell RV supplies. It's a diluted bleach treatment that kills bacteria/algae in the water.

With the water pump turned off, start by opening the hot water side of your faucet. This will take pressure off the hot water tank. Leave the faucet turned on for this next part.

Open the outside cover on your hot water tank and you'll see a plastic drain plug at the bottom. Using the proper socket (don't use pliers or you'll easily gouge it up), remove the plug and allow the water tank to drain. Having the hot water faucet open in the trailer helps facilitate this. Once the water tank has drained, leave the drain plug out but close the faucet. Hook up to "city water" (this gives you pressure through the hose so you don't have to run your water pump continuously) and allow the inflow of fresh water to further flush the hot water tank for a few minutes. Turn off the water pressure and reinstall the hot water tank plug.

Unhook the city water hose on the supply side but leave it hooked to the trailer. Drain some water from the hose and then dump a little (it doesn't take much!) Water Freshener into the hose. Hook the hose back up to the supply, turn on the water and allow it to fill the hot water tank. With the city water on, you'll also want to open the faucets a little to bleed out the air and recharge the hot water lines with water. Once that's done, refill your fresh water tank (I'm assuming you've drained this too) using the recommended amount of Water Freshener.

That should do it. I've used Water Freshener for years with no ill effects. Having said that, I carry bottled water for drinking and cooking and only use the camper water for bathroom/shower, brushing my teeth and washing the dishes.
ChetC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:18 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You don't. Once a year, I remove the anode to drain the tank for winter. That's it.
Pretty much the same as Glenn - Pull the anode and drain the tank every Fall
Every Spring I flush the WH with fresh water and put the anode back in place
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:44 PM   #5

Maryland
Hot water tank thread

Glenn, Steve from what I understand, this unit does not have the anode. ChetC, since you have a 2018 Parkliner as well, does the water heater have an anode?

ChetC, thank you for your instructions on the Water Heater tank. I checked the manual and it is lacking in all things, including the fresh water tank drain, and no mention of an 'anode'. I am printing out your instructions as soon as I hit the 'submit' button.

I truly don't know where the fresh water tank drain is (I'm sure the seller told me, but there was so much information I don't recall this specifically). If you have the time and can, would you post a picture of where it is, and how do I drain it?
Old 09-02-2020, 09:50 PM   #6

Maryland
Hot water tank thread

ChetC, I've been thinking and I seem to remember the fresh water tank was never filled. I asked the campground host that helped me if the fresh water could come straight from the source and not have to come from the filled tank, and I believe that that was what we did, not fill the fresh tank because I don't remember finding a drain and draining.

Is that possible? Am I remembering correctly?
At any rate, if you have time and can, the how to's and picture of where the drain is would be very much appreciated.
And does it have an 'anode'?
Old 09-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If yours is like our 2016 Parkliner, the fresh water tank is located under the rear dinette seat, on the left side (facing forward's). The drain valve is all the way back and down low, under other plumbing. It has a yellow handle. You turn it 90° so it is is parallel to the pipe. the water drains out under the left rear corner.

Our water heater does have an anode rod. You need a 1-1/16 inch socket to remove and replace it.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #8

Maryland
Wayne, this is what I understand you to mean: The drain valve is INSIDE the camper and UNDER the driver side bench. I surely hope so because it would be difficult for me to reach way back and under the camper to do that yellow handle if it was outside and under .

Since the large dining table was down in the bed mode, and it was difficult to raise, I don't think I was instructed in that particular bit of necessary information. I hope to remove the entire table and pedestal mount to have access to those spaces.

Thank you very much.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:03 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Wayne, this is what I understand you to mean: The drain valve is INSIDE the camper and UNDER the driver side bench. I surely hope so because it would be difficult for me to reach way back and under the camper to do that yellow handle if it was outside and under .

Since the large dining table was down in the bed mode, and it was difficult to raise, I don't think I was instructed in that particular bit of necessary information. I hope to remove the entire table and pedestal mount to have access to those spaces.

Thank you very much.
You can just move the seat cushion off that compartment, open the lid (make a prop to hold it open) and lay on the center bed cushions to reach the drain valve. Turn on the light above that area.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:55 PM   #10

Name: CHET
Trailer: 2019 ParkLiner
NV
Sounds like Wayne has you covered. The fresh water tank drain is the same place on mine, back driver side corner and accessible from inside the camper, under the dinette bench. Easy to see once you know where it is.

My water heater tank is aluminum so it does not have the anode rod. That's usually found in steel tanks, like the Suburban brand. Mine simply has a plastic drain plug at the bottom. I couldn't remember the socket size but it's large.
ChetC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:39 AM   #11

Maryland
Hot water tank thread

ChetC thanks. If I remember correctly there is a large white plastic plug which I was told is the drain. The manual lists the manufacturers of the appliances, and Dometic is the brand listed for the Water Heater. Will definitely find out Tuesday 9/8. Many thanks.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:53 AM   #12

Maryland
Wayne thanks for the tip about the prop to hold the seat open for that fresh water tank valve access.
I don't want to sell the seller short, but things are slowly coming back to memory, and I seem to recall cushions being lifted <LOL>. There was definitely information overload ::sigh::.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #13

Name: Ethan
Trailer: 2019 Parkliner
New York
Quote:
ChetC thanks. If I remember correctly there is a large white plastic plug which I was told is the drain. The manual lists the manufacturers of the appliances, and Dometic is the brand listed for the Water Heater. Will definitely find out Tuesday 9/8. Many thanks.
You can drain your water heater another way on your 2018 Parkliner. As you face your side dinning table,down to the right is a small door. Open door, and to right side is a valve for draining. Open valve,and water will drain out of a small tube outside just right of black water drain cap. If water is slow to drain try opening hot water at sink. When done close valve at water heater. Good luck
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:15 PM   #14

Maryland
Hot water tank thread

Ethan, thank you! I know that little door, in fact I'm using a little bit of that space for small stored things! I'm going to check it out on Tuesday!

What color is the valve handle? Or is there only one?
Old 09-06-2020, 01:55 PM   #15

New York
There will be two valves in compartment. Both have red handles. The valve on the right side is for draining water heater. To drain pull handle counter clock wise. You may hear water moving when 1st opening valve. The other valve to the left is to supply water to water heater. You do not need to open or close this valve.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:29 PM   #16

Maryland
Hot water tank thread

Ethan, thank you. In my memory I 'see' a red handle. Seems easy enough and no need for that 1 1/16" socket (which I don't have) to remove the plug from the outside.
You folks have certainly eased my fear of doing this alone, and on only my 2nd time out in my baby .
Old 09-07-2020, 07:08 AM   #17

New York
I want to add to post 13 about opening sink hot water side. This did not work, but turning the handle on right side of shower [hot waterside] did work. Hope tis helps.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:34 AM   #18

Maryland
Hot water tank thread

Thanks for the update Ethan. I love this place! Everyone here is so very helpful.

Tags
parkliner