How and Where are You Attaching Rear View Camera? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2021, 12:28 PM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
How/Where to Attach Rear View Camera?

Just bought one. Now I need to install.

I have run through the test with them wired and everything works. Video just plugs into cigarette lighter, so no problem there.

I'm not sure the best way to wire and best place to put camera and how to attach it to trailer. Suggestions?

I have a red and white wire on the camera. Does the white go to negative, ground, or either? The instructions shows connecting the red but ignores the white.
Attached Thumbnails
tlight.jpg  
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:31 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Post make/model and source. Plugging video into the lighter socket does not make sense at the lighter is 12V DC and video isn't.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:53 PM   #3

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Backup trailer camera

We have ours going through a small hole at licence plate mounted on its bracket. Antenna wire runs up trailer side inside cabinets of trailer as far as possible. The car has a reception antenna in trunk with wire to screen when used. Have not finished installing it yet. Was going to power it with the brown backup light/auxiliary wire it is already in place.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:36 AM   #4

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Mine is different, but I strapped the camera to a suction cup and attached it to the rear window. I don’t use it because I have a spotter who helps me when backing up. The video wasn’t helping out with the process. If I didn’t have a spotter it probably would be good to use.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:36 AM   #5

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Exclamation

Attach it high, above the window, other wise it will be always dirty and water or snow covered.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:26 AM   #6

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Btw, I put the camera inside the trailer affixed to the rear window using a suction cup and plug it into a 12V reciprocal. The video feed is wireless to the display in the TV.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:11 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita
New Mexico
Inside looking out

I mounted my rear-view camera inside, on the rear window frame. I did this to avoid having to drill a hole in the fiberglass and thereby void the warranty on our brand new Casita 17' SD.
DaveLevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:15 PM   #8

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I added a 12 v receptacle today so I can plug in the camera. For now, I attached the camera to the window frame (inside) with Velcro. I will see if it holds up in my upcoming trip.

I got it for backing up more so that monitoring traffic behind me. The system I got supports 2 cameras. so I may get another one and mount on the left side of trailer.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:41 AM   #9

Name: Nancy
Michigan
Hi David. Can you explain in more detail so I can do the same? I have one with license plate mount that I can remove, so am trying to figure out best way to mount inside on my SD.
NSKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:19 AM   #10

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSKR View Post
Hi David. Can you explain in more detail so I can do the same? I have one with license plate mount that I can remove, so am trying to figure out best way to mount inside on my SD.
I attempted to add a photo to my post about mounting the camera on the window frame, but for reasons best known to others, the photo was not included in my post.

I removed two of the existing sheet metal screws from the window frame, at the bottom, a little to the right (as seen from behind) of the center divider. I placed two corner braces under these screws when I reinstalled them. These two braces support a short length of sheet metal which forms a shelf, about 1.5" front-to-back, about 6" side-to-side. I drilled mounting holes in this shelf, and bolted the camera's mounting bracket so that the camera sits on top of the shelf. It's far enough back from the window that the moveable part of the window can slide behind the camera. The camera is far enough from the center divider that it is not looking through the safety glass labeling in the lower left corner of the fixed part of the window. I'll share the photo with you if you'd PM me an email address.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:40 AM   #11

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Mine is wireless. I just mounted it on the back and made a hole and sealed it to bring the wires in. Then the power comes from the power for one of my reading lights.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #12

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
I also mounted my camera just inside the trailer rear window. The window is tinted, But that does not have an ill-effect. I have great vision of what is behind me, and what's in those hard to see spots to either side.
Electrical: My camera operates on 5V DC from the receiver on the dash. It's hard-wired to the tow vehicle receiver, using XLR exterior shielded audio cable. (A long microphone cable gave its all for the purpose!)

Wiring (for mine: yours might be different)
-Black=5V+; White=Ground; Red=signal.
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
We do the same with our Escape....suction cup camera to rear window and connect to a 12v...video feed in back window of P/U to view via the rear view mirror.
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:30 AM   #14

Name: Kim
Trailer: 2008 Casita Freedom
Arkansas
I'm thinking about purchasing a camera so I can see what's behind the camper while I'm driving down the road. Does anyone have experience installing the Tadi Brothers Digital Wireless Slip-On License Plate Backup Camera with Clip On Mirror SKU39435? The monitor slips over the rearview mirror and plugs into the car/truck cigarette lighter. The camera somehow attaches to your camper license plate so no need to drill any holes. But not sure how it gets power. Must have wires attached that have to be installed in the license plate light. I don't like having exposed wires so that's my only hang up with this one. I see someone mounted their camera inside their camper back window. Does that seem to work better? Do you wire the camera to a cigarette lighter adapter and plug it into the cigarette lighter to power it?
kcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:37 AM   #15

Name: Steve
NC
I bought the Haloview MC10 and bought the 12v cigarette adapter for the camera. I plugged this into the nearby socket and just suction cupped it above the rear window so i could easily raise and lower it when needed.
Attached Thumbnails
803F70F9-C6B0-4AAA-87A7-31611AC5F911.jpg   7F352CC6-4B5C-497A-954D-F3D6DC36C5AE.jpg  

32CE7998-5439-46A9-AAE9-A0A540010870.jpg  
Shocksll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #16

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Rear View Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Just bought one. Now I need to install.
... ...
I'm not sure the best way to wire and best place to put camera and how to attach it to trailer. Suggestions?

I have a red and white wire on the camera. Does the white go to negative, ground, or either? The instructions shows connecting the red but ignores the white.
For 12v DC, red is always positive, white is always negative (ground). If the wiring is red/black, black is negative (ground); if the wiring is black/white black is positive.

Rather than repeating myself on this forum, a couple of months back, I posted my installation on a similar forum here on FiberglassRV.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:55 PM   #17

New Mexico
I'm using the Tadi Brothers camera and rear-view-mirror-mounted monitor. I mounted the camera inside, looking out through the rear window, to avoid having to drill holes through the fiberglass. The monitor is a bit dim during daylight driving, and doesn't appear to have a brightness adjustment. But it does give me a rear view while driving, and it's helpful. It's especially helpful when backing into a campsite.