How big of an issue is this? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-24-2017, 06:56 AM   #1

Name: Jenny
Trailer: Boler
Kentucky
How big of an issue is this?

Still in process of redecorating 1969 boler camper and came across this. There are two pop rivets no longer holding the cabinet in place but are still in the camper wall. I dread drilling those out, which I am guessing is the only way to reposition cabinet and fix properly. How big of a problem is this? Is there any other way? The cabinet has to be pushed up about 3/4 of an inch maybe less to see where the rivet goes.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1565.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	104255

JrossB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:16 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrossB View Post
Still in process of redecorating 1969 boler camper and came across this. There are two pop rivets no longer holding the cabinet in place but are still in the camper wall. I dread drilling those out, which I am guessing is the only way to reposition cabinet and fix properly. How big of a problem is this? Is there any other way? The cabinet has to be pushed up about 3/4 of an inch maybe less to see where the rivet goes.Attachment 104255
Well it has to be fixed I am sure.. How hard it will be to get the old rivets out - who can say. It might be easy or it might be hard. But in a rig that age, its a skill you want to have. I had to replace one in a new Scamp and it was put in at an angle so when it failed it took a bit of work to dislodge and remove.

Another member just went through this.. see post #16: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ets-78359.html

BTW, is this a cabinet that had or has support under it? Is the support in place?

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:32 AM   #3

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Well it has to be fixed I am sure.. How hard it will be to get the old rivets out - who can say. It might be easy or it might be hard. But in a rig that age, its a skill you want to have. I had to replace one in a new Scamp and it was put in at an angle so when it failed it took a bit of work to dislodge and remove.

Another member just went through this.. see post #16: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ets-78359.html

BTW, is this a cabinet that had or has support under it? Is the support in place?

Yes, it has two supports underneath.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:35 AM   #4

Kentucky
Quote:
Yes, it has two supports underneath.

But they are on each end of the countertop. Not in the middle like some I've seen.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #5

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
Don't wait

I found 1 sheared-off rivet in my sink one day. There were 3 others holding up my upper cabinet and I wasn't too worried. Planned to fix it over the winter.

My next trip I got where I was going and my upper cabinet was hanging, range hood and all, from the ceiling and no longer attached to the outer wall at all. Contents were everywhere.

The missing rivet meant too much weight put on the other 3, which then sheared off. Lesson I learned: Don't let anything go. Every single thing in these fiberglass campers is there for a reason.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:26 PM   #6

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Still in process of redecorating 1969 boler camper and came across this. There are two pop rivets no longer holding the cabinet in place but are still in the camper wall. I dread drilling those out, which I am guessing is the only way to reposition cabinet and fix properly. How big of a problem is this? Is there any other way? The cabinet has to be pushed up about 3/4 of an inch maybe less to see where the rivet goes.Attachment 104255
Personal growth...do something each day that you have been afraid to try.

Saying that you dread doing it is creating the dread. Instead of that just you are say that you are looking forward to mastering drilling out rivets because you know that gaining new skills brings joy and personal satisfaction to your life.

Drilling out rivets on a scale of 1 to 10 for a skill that is difficult to learn rates about .005. You can do this, just read a couple of the how to do it articles then put the right size drill bit in your drill motor and have at it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:17 AM   #7

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
I agree with K C. on a trip, don't worry about what turn you need not miss, in a city 300 miles away, when your driving down your neighborhood street.
It's a simple skill, but as some do run into problems when drilling it out, some here will get you out of it.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:42 AM   #8

Kentucky
I have the skill I just didn't want to do it. Lol. It's done. I had already removed about 50 rivets from the interior and I didn't want to mess with rivets in the shell. I got two of them out and replaced them with screws,washers, and a beauty cap on outside and acorn inside and they look lovely. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:51 AM   #9

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
On my "79" Boler13 that is what I had on the upper cabinet a cap bolt on the out side and an acorn nut inside. I did take them out and pu neopreme washers under the cap bolt and hasn't leaked in 10+ years.
Pat on the back to you.
Always good to hear a happy ending
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:54 AM   #10

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
On my "79" Boler13 that is what I had on the upper cabinet a cap bolt on the out side and an acorn nut inside. I did take them out and pu neopreme washers under the cap bolt and hasn't leaked in 10+ years.
Pat on the back to you.
Always good to hear a happy ending

Thank you happy endings are the best thing! Now wish me luck for putting this bad boy all back together!!
Old 04-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #11

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Lynn View Post
I found 1 sheared-off rivet in my sink one day. There were 3 others holding up my upper cabinet and I wasn't too worried. Planned to fix it over the winter.

My next trip I got where I was going and my upper cabinet was hanging, range hood and all, from the ceiling and no longer attached to the outer wall at all. Contents were everywhere.

The missing rivet meant too much weight put on the other 3, which then sheared off. Lesson I learned: Don't let anything go. Every single thing in these fiberglass campers is there for a reason.

Wow! Agreed! I fixed it