How difficult/costly to add propane heat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How difficult/costly to add propane heat

I just traded my motorcycle for a 1987 16ft Scamp that I am going to sell. It does not have a heater or a hot water heater. How hard would it be to add these items or would I be better of selling without them? Thanks!
Mikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
It's hard to second guess the needs of a buyer. Most wouldn't expect hot water so I would say that's not financially wise.

You might end up spending $300 and time on a propane furnace and the buyer prefers closet space or never parks where they can't use an AC space heater.

Regards

Matt
Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good way to look at it, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
It's hard to second guess the needs of a buyer. Most wouldn't expect hot water so I would say that's not financially wise.

You might end up spending $300 and time on a propane furnace and the buyer prefers closet space or never parks where they can't use an AC space heater.

Regards

Matt
Mikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've owned my Scamp for 10 years. I've never used the furnace. I have used the stove top... 3-4 times. But the microwave and toaster oven get a work out!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Hot water with a shower:
We got our hot water tank on sale but expect one new to range 350 to 650 depending on features. Ours hot water tank has electronic spark to start it which means you do not have to go outside to light a pilot light and is only propane. Some water heaters are on demand electric and cost less or manual pilot light propane while others are dual electric and propane. They do not sell hot water tank with all the hookups or outside cover, they are extra. Add taps shower head and pipes, drain install gas hookup to the list of costs though. For us as we go to wilderness parks hot water for a shower is a great idea and worth the cost. (adds to value)
A Thermostat controlled forced air Furnace can go 1000. you may be able to find a used one "Wayne Hill might have one". We have winter camped and a furnace is great at sub zero. Would not have purchased a trailer with out one.

In short do not know Scamp resale values with and with out as we have a boler. Still would not have purchased ours if no furnace. Hot water we could live without but then again doing retro fit now. In the end we all go by or own needs.

How cold are the nights in Oregon

Have shower pop-up drain installed, purchased hot water tank, outside cover, bypass kit, copper gas line, shower tap and spray unit; still needs some water pipes.
Just waiting for a break in the weather to do part 2 cut the hole in the side under the sink in the location of the original factory install.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Since you're not planning to use the camper, you might want to get a written quote from an rv center on cost to install a furnace and water heater. Then, your buyers would have the info at hand if they want the items.
I live in Florida, but dry camp in the mountains a lot, and would not buy a trailer without a heater, or a plan to add one. For us, hot water can easily be managed with a tea kettle for dishes and washing up, and a $150 outdoor water heater for outdoor showers. Everyone has different needs, and many people never camp without electricity, so a $20 cube heater is a good furnace for them. Quiet, and no extra cost in most campsites.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's also another option. Set the price you want for the trailer as it is now... and see if it sells for that. If not, then perhaps you'll know better what you may need/want to do to get your price. There are lots of people who are looking for a pretty barebones trailer and not all want the options. Adding $1,000 worth of appliances and effort may not get you $1,000 more for the trailer.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
I installed a furnace in our Casita back in November. We have already used it twice and will use it again next week. It was $450 including freight. I connected it to the propane line to the stove with a tee fitting. The wiring was already there from the factory. The kit included a thermostat.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 1976 Surfside TM14
the surfside tm-14 had no furnace in it when we bought it. i installed a hydroflame brc-10,which are found in truck campers and a lot of fiberglass egg trailers. paid 35 dollars for it , took about 1 weeks worth of labour to install it,looks just like a factory install.shure makes a differance on those cool nights, my wife is happy about a cozy trailer ever scince
KLAUS TIEKENHEINRICH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane