How do I change bulbs on Running lights? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #1

Name: Duane
Trailer: Boler
Yukon
How do I change bulbs on Running lights?

Hi All,

I'm a new owner of a '75 Boler that's in pretty good shape but needs some TLC. The first issue is that I have two running lights (one on each side) that are out. I've been reading the wiring and grounding threads with interest (thanks) but I thought I'd start simple and check the bulb. Except that I don't know how to change the bulb. Or if I even can. It's a Bargman sae-p2-a-81 replace bulb. I'll attach a picture. Help please?!
Attached Thumbnails
image-2433716287.jpg  
backporchinjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #2

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Use a screwdriver to remove. Each light has a slot to put a screwdriver in to pry lens off. Yes the bulb could be out. You can buy bulbs or the complete light at Canadian Tire or Princess Auto and more places.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #3

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
While you have the lens off, if the fixture is ok, I would clean up the contacts with some emory cloth (sand paper) and maybe wipe a bit of dielectric grease on them before you put in the new bulb. One of our Trillium lights was out and I discovered a broken bulb and bulb rusted to the fixture.Took a pair of pliers to remove the rusted bulb. A little cleaning, a little silicone grease, and a new bulb and good as new. YMMV
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
As long as we are on the subject (of running lights)! When I purchased our trailer several years ago the man I bought it from switched the wiring from 7 pin to 4 pin and everything works EXCEPT the side marker lights. We were in a hurry at the time, darkness was upon us; I still haven't looked into it much.

Any ideas on what might be the problem?
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
It's possible that it is a combination of bad bulbs or bad connections, marker lights are notorious for being a problem. The other possibility is that the marker lights are on a separate wire from the tail lights at the plug and didn't get connected. A voltmeter or simple test light can help in locating the problem. Or bring it to me and I'll fix it for you. [note that I don't know your location, probably on the other side of the country from me]
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Mark
My guess is the PO got confused with the wiring color codes and ran the four pin wires directly to the tail lights and cut the wire to the trailer running light wires. In the case with the running llights it matters where and how you connect to the Scamp wiring. All the side marker lights tie into the running light circuit. The four pin running light wire is brown on the scamp it is green. I suggest installing a wire junction box under the goucho bench from e-trailer and clean ip the rats nest of wiring.
Eddie
See page 13>
http://www.scamptrailers.com/Portals...nersManual.pdf
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
My suggestion: As long as you're going to the trouble to take the fixture apart, why not just throw the old ones away and replace them with some newer LED types? Incandescent running bulbs seem to have a tendency to burn out pretty regular. Measure the distance between the mounting holes and I'll bet there's some perfect replacements available online. The LED types usually are completely sealed and should last another 30 years or until the next rebuild. And trying to diagnose electrical problems without a multimeter can be an exercise in frustration. They're only $5 at Harbor Freight.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
My suggestion: As long as you're going to the trouble to take the fixture apart, why not just throw the old ones away and replace them with some newer LED types?
Since you're north of the border, check out Princess Auto: here's some yellow running lights: 2-7/8 x 1-1/2 in. LED Mini Clearance/Marker Light | Princess Auto

and some red ones: 2-7/8 x 1-1/2 in. LED Mini Clearance/Marker Light | Princess Auto

If these aren't the right size, there are lots to choose from. I agree, you'll probably pay as much for the bulbs as the entire assembly. Something to consider!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #9

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I'm another big LED fan. I gave up on regular bulbs, especially with the car trailer. A camper might not be so bad, but I'm not even trying. With the empty car trailer and rough roads, it was killing bulbs regularly, usually at least one a trip.

It's less load on your vehicle circuit, and usually brighter, I know mine sure are.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #10

Name: Duane
Trailer: Boler
Yukon
Thanks for all the advice. The lenses popped right off. The bulbs were ridiculously corroded (clearly the PO had been driving around without working running lights for awhile). I cleaned up the contacts best I could and put some dielectric grease on them and . . . It didn't work. Fortunately a little wiggling and I could seat the bulbs where they made better contact and worked!
I appreciate the advice about LEDs. I think I'll go that route eventually - just not at the top of the list yet.
Thanks again for all the advice. I love this forum. This is what the Internet should be all about! I'll try not to ask too many dumb questions!
backporchinjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by backporchinjuly View Post
I'll try not to ask too many dumb questions!
No dumb questions are ever asked, truly. It's the ones that aren't asked that cause dumb mistakes/problems.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote