How do I remove then replace this ceiling carpet? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #1

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
How do I remove then replace this ceiling carpet?

Back from a great trip to Agua Caliente, so it is time to strip Mouse and start new projects. The last big holdover from the PO is the carpet on the ceiling. I want to change it out for something that is pretty and easy to clean.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-254092171.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	45243

Any ideas on how to remove the carpet without making a mess?

Ideas on how to clean the glue that will be left over?

Ideas on how and what to put in its place?
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You might stop by at J&J Auto Fabrics in Rialto, CA and talk to Joe Sr. or Joe Jr. They have all kinds of headliner materials in stock and are excellent people that will help out. They also stock "Dan Tack" the worlds best headliner contact cement. I have done a number of new fabric headliners in Sunrader motorhomes and they have been great for advice and materials.
BTW: They also have lots of "Knock-On" weather stripping and commercial grade auto upholstery dye sprays in stock.
If you can't get to Rialto, they have a website and will send samples.
J & J Auto Fabrics Inc.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I pulled the carpet down from the ceiling of my UHaul to reseal the solar panel mount. I just pulled slowly and steadily and it came off in one piece. The glue can be removed with mineral spirits as a solvent. I also used a plastic putty knife to scrape it. My intention is to reinstall the carpet with spray adhesive.

Let us know what you decide to do with your ceiling. By the way, I did copy your sink faucet with a chrome goose neck single handle faucet. I installed a two way valve under the sink to switch from on board water to city water.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #4

California
Bob, thank you for the headliner ideas.

Thomas, thank you for the carpet removal technique. On my faucet one handle turns on the outside water and the other the onboard water. I haven't needed a separate switch to select the water switch. I am changing my faucet for one that has a longer reach into the sink.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
......... On my faucet one handle turns on the outside water and the other the onboard water. I haven't needed a separate switch to select the water switch. I am changing my faucet for one that has a longer reach into the sink.
Good idea. I already had this faucet and I liked the look of the single handle, thus the additional water valve. I plan to mostly dry camp, so it should be a minor inconvenience.

Good luck with your headliner.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I really like the bamboo Mike put in his Burro. It has the same area in the ceiling that needed an update. Check this out: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ior-46625.html
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #7

Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Bob, thank you for the headliner ideas.

Thomas, thank you for the carpet removal technique. On my faucet one handle turns on the outside water and the other the onboard water. I haven't needed a separate switch to select the water switch. I am changing my faucet for one that has a longer reach into the sink.

OH WHAT A GOOD IDEA!!! one handle for outside and one for onboard water!!! I LOVE IT!!!
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #8

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
What did you use for a replacement for the removed carpet? Pictures? I'm getting geared up to replace the stuff screwed into my ceiling.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #9

California
Thomas had a good point about redoing the carpet when putting in a solar panel.

So I am waiting on the ceiling carpet project until I figure out about my solar panel needs.

Good luck and post pictures for me!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #10

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
In my VT the headliner Carpet was held up with Velcro Assume it was to get access to teh electrical, AC, fluorescent lights and Solar panel. I replaced it with Headliner material we found at Jo Anns Fabric it was about $10/yd. I measured the width between the Double wall where the two halves come together ( it varied from the windows to the AC which is in the center). I laid these measurements out on an unrolled section of Refletrex insulation. I cut the headliner so that I had a good 2-3inches of overlap on each side. sprayed 1 side of the refletrex with 3M 77, the foam side with 3M 77 and carefully rolled the headliner on the refletrex being careful to center it,. then sprayed the overlap areas on the back of the refletrex with 3M 77 and rolled theedges over. Since min had velcro originally I replaced it with new Velcro that I ordered form Perfect Fit where I had previously ordered the window channel, the rubber seal for the kick out window and the door seal. Cleaned off all the old glue with Toluene Sprayed the edges of the sunken area with3M 77 and glued up the hook part of the velcro. Took some measurements to determine where to glue the loop to the back side of the headliner sprayed the area with 3M 77 glued the loop down let it set for an hour and velcroed it up. Only took about 4 hours total.picts attached
Michael J
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0163.jpg   IMG_0166.jpg  

IMG_0167.jpg  
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote