How do you fix a door? Windows? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2002, 07:17 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How do you fix a door? Windows?

Hi,
I've been looking at a fixer-upper, (see post under trailers wanted).
The main problem is that the door isn't as curved as the body, and there are gaps at the top and bottom. Can this be fixed? How?
Also the front and back windows have been home-fixed. A wooden? frame has been screwed/bolted on with the screws going through the body to the interior. Can these be repaired? To originil? How?
Any input is appreciated, I have had some ideas, but you all know more about these trailers than me... If I can get a good price it might be worth it.
I went to look at a Scamp at a dealer today, and it sold before I got there, less than 2 days on the lot! So back to considering the fixer... California seems to be a hard place to find these!
Thanks,
Blossom

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 08:11 PM   #2

those windows

You say they have wood? Mine has wood on the inside. The windows are screwed through the fiberglass into the wood.. This is factory. now if the window is wood, I know nothing about one like that.

Sorry I'm must be the only one talking unusual trailers today.

Old 12-04-2002, 09:52 PM   #3

Picture worth a thousand words

Blossom,
If you could post some photos of the problem areas, I'm sure you would get some very good answers for your problems.

Old 12-05-2002, 06:45 AM   #4

Hi Blossom

The curved door not meeting the curved body is no big deal ... any body shop that specializes in fiberglass work can "true" up the fit by building the trailer door frame up to meet the door. If you are handy, you could probably even do it. Fiberglass is easy to work with, spreads like frosting, and you reinforce it with mesh ... and when harden, you can sand smooth.

Concerning the windows ... Hehr is the largest manufacturer and supplier of RV windows ... and could probably supply a window to fit.
You might have to cut the window opening larger.

The moldy cushions means the windows have probably been leaking for quite a while. The non-fitting door means that's probably been leaking there, also.

Thing you should be most concerned about is the trailer's floor and substructure. If it's wood ... and if the trailers been leaking, the floor is probably soft. Check the floor around the windows and door with a small screwdriver (really tiny one) or awl ... see if it's easy to poke into the floor. It won't be easy to push in the screwdriver into a sound floor ... easy to push into a rotten floor.

Tags
windows