How do you sleep in a little 13 footer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #1

Trailer: Burro 1982 13 ft
Hmm, I just thought I would try out this 1982 13 foot Burro for sleeping. So I tried the small area next to the stove on the side where the hitch is. Oh my, how small. More for a child. Then I tried the bed that is made from the dinette area. This is a little larger then a single bed. So how does a couple sleep in these little trailers...how do you get a good nights sleep? Then I thought well I could sleep on the floor. .

So what do you all do when you go camping in a 13 foot travel trailer?
I wanted a 16 footer, but this will have to do. Any ideas out there?

Thanks.
Dorie
Dorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Now, see this is where you have to summon up all those repressed memories. The way I understand it is that the 13 foot trailers are only made for those who are able to remember being in a FETAL POSITION.

Gina, how do you weigh in on this topic? Is it possible that missing a lung is actually an advantage in this matter?

As far as couples are concerned I'm guessing the answer to this is found deep in the interpersonal relationship or the B.O. coefficient, or......(blah, blah, blah.....).

Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We have a 13 Scamp. We are short. One of us sleeps on the front bunk with the back/top removed. I made a wider cushion as the Scamp cushion is 2 pieces (banana shape). With the back removed we have almost 30 inches at hip area.

I like it better when my husband sleeps on the front bunk, maybe we will switch off. I made memory foam topper for both the front and the back, but that was a bother to remove from the back dinette. So, he gets the big area without the memory foam, we left it home last trip.

Fred sleeps in berths on sailboats and he doesn't move around much when he sleeps. i really like more width. When he moved to the back dinette he was overwhelmed with how much space he has. I wouldn't want to be tall in a 13.

Nancy in MN
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
We are short.
Vertically Challenged sounds better .
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Cue Randy Newman's "Short People"...

Sometimes having a rather large tent pitched nearby the trailer significantly improves the sleeping situation in a 13' trailer.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Gina, how do you weigh in on this topic? Is it possible that missing a lung is actually an advantage in this matter?
I put the one they took out in the overhead, so it doesn't use any room.. leaving more room for one dog to snuggle in on that side of me.

I am short, so I have no problems in either spot. I sleep on the gaucho when the pups are left home, otherwise, I am allowed a few inches on the "Big" bed. Either way, my feet do not conflict with a wall.

There are some interesting bed mods on here, some for just this reason. Snoop around.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
As I understand it, the [b]Standard versions of the 13' and 16' models have the same size (dinette) bed in back. You and your "significant other" just got to get all snuggley.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #8

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
I have a 14-foot trailer. It has a full-size bed with a 6-inch mattress. If I wanted to make it into a queen-sized bed, I could pull out the extension.

My 19-foot trailer has a 3/4 sized bed, like most FG trailer. Go figure.

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Quote:
Hmm, I just thought I would try out this 1982 13 foot Burro for sleeping. So I tried the small area next to the stove on the side where the hitch is. Oh my, how small. More for a child. Then I tried the bed that is made from the dinette area. This is a little larger then a single bed. So how does a couple sleep in these little trailers...how do you get a good nights sleep? Then I thought well I could sleep on the floor. .

So what do you all do when you go camping in a 13 foot travel trailer?

Thanks.
Dorie
Well, we just got our 13 foot trailer, so we haven't tested it out yet, but my husband and I slept on a twin bed when we were in a German hostel one time, so I think the dinette bed in the 13 will give us plenty of room. Hubby is 6'3, and I'm 5'8, but I typically sleep curled up on my side (fetal position), and that gives hubby the opportunitey to lie diagonally on the bed, giving him more room. If it's too cramped, I think we'll probably add a piece of plywood or something to the side of the dinette table, so that hubby can have more legroom. I'll have to check out the modifications people have made for this purpose.

I think my problem in the future will be the bunk sizes. Our Scamp has the bunk option, and our two year-old son is projected to be approximately 6'4, and our 7 month-old daughter, probably about 5'10 or taller. I am not sure how that's going to work.
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 73 Boler
Im 6', the g/f is about 5'3 or so. We tried both sleeping in the so called bed. Pretty cramped but i thought it was ok.She didnt like it. Now she sleeps on the bunk. Then in the morning when shes frozen solid she comes back in bed to warm up. But i figure its better than sleeping in a tent by a long shot.
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:48 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler Honey
Tirah,
When the kids are too big for the bunks, they learn to pitch a tent! My boys are 6'2 and 6'4. They both encouraged me to get a trailer, but said they'd bring tents to sleep in. We all like the idea of something solid to get in out of the rain, if necessary, where you can at least sit a bit more comfortably. Then, by the time they are old enough to complain about sleeping on the ground (like I have) its time to get their own rigs.
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:32 PM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
It doesn't make any difference how big the bed is.. I will never fit in it.

I wonder why?

Click image for larger version

Name:	landing_strip.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	3364

The "Other" just hasn't gotten there yet. (Yes, they have thier own bags that match Moms)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
I am a tad over 6'1" and weigh 240lbs., my wife is 5'3 and weighs exactly what she should. We have no problem sleeping in the dinette/double bed of our UHaul. In fact, we find it much more comfortable and pleasant than any motel bed we've experienced. But then, we are v-e-r-y good friends...
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:07 PM   #14

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My wife is 5'5" and I am 5'9". We sleep great in our 13' Compact Jr. We sometimes nap on the dinette cushions without making up the bed. They are 25" X 70". Works okay but a little tight. With the table top down and all cushions in place the bed is 70" X 70". Tom Trostel
Old 06-04-2006, 07:10 PM   #15

Trailer: 1970 Boler
ya, short people. I am 5'6" my wife is 5' and Hannah is about 30"

- Kurt
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #16

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
hahahah good subject!!!

We just went on our Maiden Voyage and I was worried my hubby couldn't sleep well on the little side. He LOVES to sleep on our sofa, however- so he thought he'd be okay on it. And he says he DID sleep well. I do not sleep well many nights, just lay there with insomnia and I can testify that he did seem to sleep well! hahaha

I thought we'd have to switch off nights but he says he was fine on the little sofa part!!

I felt very good on the dinette bed part indeed.

Oh- my husband is 6'1 and I'd say 180 lbs and I'm only 5'4" so I fit most anywhere!
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:17 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
For Anne and I the bed (dinette) is quite comfortable for the two of us. We're not overly large people, but we're not small either. The bed is acutally bigger than the floor of our backpacking tent. We learned long ago that we can get a good nights sleep in sperate mummy style sleeping bags. We also learned that the backpacking tent was a little crowded when sleeping sholder to sholder. We saw no reason to change when we went from the tent to the Scamp. Works for us.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
My better half gets the sofa with the back removed and she is very content there and won`t switch with me for the dinette, which is always set up for sleeping.....On our 17' she uses the gaucho part way open and I use the dinette......what the heck, they`re both there so why not use them......best of both worlds.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:38 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
We extended the "dinette" side bed to a full 48" (it is permanently made up as a bed.) My dh is 5'9" and I am 5'3".. He sleeps nearer the window cause I get up many times during the night. We find the bed very comfy (but yes, you do have to like each other!!)

But, after being away a week in the trailer---getting home last night to our queen sized bed was very nice!!
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
My hubby is 6' but is willing to sleep against the back wall. Thank goodness, since I am claustrophobic and have to sleep on the "open" side! It works best when we both sleep on our right sides at the same time or left sides at the same time. So if he rolls over, so do I.

Our German Shepherd sleeps on the floor. Our medium-size terrier can sleep on the sofa but prefers to sneak up onto our bed, which drives me crazy because that's just a little too crowded for me! We usually board the dogs.

Happy dreams!

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote