How Does a Battery Cut-Out Switch Work? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
How Does a Battery Cut-Out Switch Work?

My trailer has a cut-out switch that prevents the trailer battery from draining while not in use. The switch has a red indicator light in it. When I travel I turn the switch off. When I plug the trailer into the TV the indicator light goes on and all lights etc work in the trailer. Unplug the TV and I have to throw the switch to connect the trailer battery. My question is, if I turn off the switch while traveling, does the TV charge the trailer battery? I ask because mine doesn't seem to charge it. Do I have to leave the switch turned on to charge the trailer battery?
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
yes (switch turned on)while towing or plugged into shore power to charge the battery......... that cutoff switch is for when it's stored you turn it off so there is no phantom drain on the battery and off when plugged in for days and days so you don't boil the battery over with an overcharge from the converter. You can drive for days and days with the switch turned on and never hurt the battery...... the converter will overcharge it after a while with the switch left on
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
...unless the converter has a decent maintenance mode and it will revert to a trickle charge after sensing the battery is fully charged

Regards,

Matt
Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Thanks guys for clearing that up. I really ought to have known the answer.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery