How Hot... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2020, 07:23 AM   #21

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
"When it’s 20 below or 80 above it’s not the time to go camping IMHO !!"
If that were the case there would be no camping in the South East in the "Summer" which is three seasons long down here.
Actually I don't see all of the fuss over A/C. Install it and enjoy the country and if you don't want to use it then there is the "ON - OFF" option.
We have a heat pump so wither way we are covered, but need power either from the hookup or the generator.
I have never regretted having the A/C available.
I spent some money for it years ago and have long since amortized the investment.
However if there is someone who is adamant about not having A/C then that is OK with me as well.
We are not into boondocking, but have occasionally stayed in National Parks where there are no hookups and generators not allowed, but we survived somehow, like everyone else.
I guess we use our much modified 16' Scamp as a moving motel room so we want everything that would entail, A/C and all.
Enjoy your campers and live and let live.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:57 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I will admit that I don’t like hot weather which I describe as anything above 75 deg . I much prefer winter , I like cold weather and snow .
I’ve camped in tents at 20 below and at 80 above and I prefer the 20 below
When we first retired we went South in the Winter and soon learned it wasn’t for us .
I was asked a question and I answered it honestly . You may not like the answer or the way it was stated but diplomacy is not my strong suits and I offer no apology . This forum is not a mutual admiration society

I’ve been at campgrounds, where people pull into their campsites on Friday night , start their generator , go inside and turn on their A/C and don’t reappear until Sunday afternoon when they leave . I would rather stay home and not make my neighbors smell and listen to my generator & A/C
There is a season for everything !!

PS ; I have never been or will I ever be a “DUDE “
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:56 AM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I’d say as a general rule if nighttime temperatures are below 65 degrees you’ll probably be comfortable without mechanical cooling. Between 65-75 degrees, you might manage with help from a power roof vent. Above 75 degrees at night, you’ll be sweating. That’s based on recent experience in a relatively dry climate. Humidity and wind can shift the comfort points either way.
This has been my experience as well. I live in a humid environment and it does skew the comfort. I do take a Honda 2000i generator and use it to run the A/C. Where I camp it does not bother anybody, including me as I cannot hear it over the A/C and my CPAP.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:03 PM   #24

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Is that "Dude" as in Dude Ranch dude or Dude as in "The Dude" as in the big Lebowski?
Is the hemp in the rope or in the dope?
Just asking for a friend as "The Dude Abides".

(Please note - an attempt at humor)
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:00 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Is that "Dude" as in Dude Ranch dude or Dude as in "The Dude" as in the big Lebowski?
Is the hemp in the rope or in the dope?
Just asking for a friend as "The Dude Abides".

(Please note - an attempt at humor)
In my case the hemps in the rope but I do appreciate your humor so THANK YOU
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I have found Steve Dunham’s opinions to be honestly expressed and easy to understand. Like Steve, I have camped in varying weather and enjoy the shoulder seasons best. Small campers, without power ventilation, air conditioning or at a bare minimum, shade are not
very comfortable in the heat of summer. Neither is a fold down at Folly Beach South Carolina at 88 degrees F with 100% humidity and not a leaf on a tree shaking. Been There, Done That, not one of my better decisions. And in conclusion I will say I have camped with Steve Dunham on several occasions. He is a good man and like all others his opinions are to be respected and evaluated by the reader. Don’t bother to take a shot at this old man, I’ve got a skin like the armor plating on a Panzer and my Bohemie head is about that hard too. Have a nice day.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:59 PM   #27

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If you pick carefully, and depending on your definition of the SE USA, you can camp in the summer. You just have to either have AC, or seek out higher elevation. I do the latter, camping in the mountains of NC. The coast in the summer? No thanks!

And my favorite campgrounds have no hookups. Running a generator all night long is not permitted either. So it’s all about where you camp.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #28

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Harking back to my tent camping days in hot Florida campgrounds, I remeber that the "ultimate" sleeping comfort came when we brought a big fan to blow air on us directly.

So for a FG trailer, the Fantastic roof fans are great, but they do not give you that cooling that a constant stream of air directed at you gives. Therefore, I suggest that you look into a cheap 12V fan that will blow directly on you. With that, as long as you do not go into the trailer to go to bed before the evening cools off, you will be fine.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Or, you open a window near your face and put your Maxxfan on OUT so that it draws air in the window and across your face.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #30

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
If in doubt, carry a Clam?

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #31

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Echoing Glenn, and myself from post #2, Ceiling fan out, even low is usually good, with one window open above your face. However, that won't help in parts of the trailer without windows.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:21 PM   #32

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
How Hot...

Andy,

In addition to the MaxxFan (or Fantastic Fan), you should probably get a 12v table fan and/or clip-on fan and make sure to configure 12v outlet(s) near your sleeping area(s).

Truck stops (Loves, Pilot Flying J, etc.) are great sources for lots of 12v stuff! [emoji846]

We live in the Midwest (KC Metro) and usually try to go north in the summer and South in the late fall and winter.

The one place we typically boondock is at the Oshkosh Airventure air show in late July. Although the days can get hot (mid to upper 80s) the Wisconsin night air is usually fairly comfortable.

As a general rule, we do set the to fan to exhaust and pull cooler air in through the window over our heads (If you leave your curtains closed, the bottoms of the curtains swing inward and direct the cooler air over your face.) Since the top fan is over our main bed, sometimes we do set the fan to pull cooler air down from above and let it blow all over the sleeping area ... especially if the ground has become "heat soaked from the sun".

Even with heavier fan usage (both top-mounted and table), a small 35W solar panel (portable) usually has recharged our Group 27 battery by early afternoon.

With 1,000+ campsites (not a typo!) in Camp Scholler, hours of operation for generators are limited (no overnight use in most places). During the day, if AC is really really needed, a small Honda generator (2200i) is whisper quiet and can't be heard by neighbors until they get within 10-15 feet.

If it is not humid, a small "swamp cooler" may help a little?

Hope this helps some ....

Good luck!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #33

Name: Rose
Trailer: Casita
Hutto
We live just outside of Austin in Central Texas. Although not as humid as Houston or Louisiana, it’s unbearable w/o A/C. I have nightmares when I’m too hot. One of the draws of an RV for us is the ability to escape the heat. We plan for summer in the mountains where the nights are cool and all dreams are G-rated.
TexasRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #34

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
BTW -
We don't have a top-mounted AC.

When we need AC, we mount a 5,000 BTU Frigidaire window unit in the back window. It cools the trailer just fine, it's much quieter than a top-mounted unit, and it was much cheaper to buy.

On many trips, we don't need A.C. and it either doesn't go along or else it stays in its tub in the back of the truck. However, as others have said .... When you need AC, you REALLY need it.

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:26 PM   #35

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
I think we Westerners are spoiled. Most places we go in the summer cool off at night, and maybe more importantly, the humidity is low. Fiberglass trailers are pretty small, and they are WHITE, usually, so they reflect daytime heat rather than absorbing it. I would not think it would be any different than sleeping in your backyard, provided you have a bit of airflow. And Casitas, at least, have quite large windows, though the fan (thermostatic, mind you) would help.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote