How is this possible? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Well I was thinking more like when you are going 70 MPH downhill (bad idea, I know) and the trailer becomes unhitched and crosses the centerline, heading straight toward a church bus full of children and nuns headed the opposite direction, also at 70 MPH.

The inspection, I think, we could survive.
So... never...right?

This does bring up something related,which IS important...
If you have a single safety chain (with two hooks) attached in the middle to the coupler with a single 1/4" or 5/16" bolt then FIX IT!

Use two separate chains (or cables) of adequate size, each attached with its own bolt to the frame and not the coupler. Change each hook to a fastener with a closure.
Check your draw bar to be sure that the ball is of the right size and has a shank of adequate size (I would not use a 5/8" shank to pull a travel trailer.)
Get a good locking pin for the drawbar.

Then if it is required or if you feel the need, add a breakaway switch with a cable routed in such a way as to avoid accidental activation by road debris.

Figure the odds of a breakaway, add the odds of a loose trailer staying upright or stopping straight. add once again the odds of the breakaway happening down a hill on a curve careening the trailer into the path of an oncoming church bus.
Probably a safer option to forgo the breakaway switch in favor of more sensible driving habits! Of course you could use both!

And don't forget one of these...
SURPRISE! That 90 decibel alarm suddenly going off right next to your ear should help you maintain control, right?

NOD-Stopper:
The NOD-Stopper is a sleep warning device that you wear over your ear. NOD-Stopper helps prevent automobile accidents caused by falling asleep behind the wheel. This device is lightweight, it's comfortable and you can wear it even while wearing glasses
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I couldn't hear my wife screaming about what was happening because there was this loud noise going off in my ear.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #23

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
when in BC....

I got waved over for a vehicle safety inspection in BC and the ONLY thing they checked was the breakaway switch operation...YMMV

(was asked to remove the breakaway tab from the switch, get in my truck and slowly drive away...breaks locked up after a few feet...that was it....and I don't have a brake controller!)
Attached Thumbnails
atluckhc.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #24
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
What I'm unclear about is why there are two batteries, obviously in parallel. A battery for the brakes is only necessary if there is no trailer battery. I doubt that's something Scamp would do. Some creative electrics from a previous owner perhaps.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
What I'm unclear about is why there are two batteries, obviously in parallel. A battery for the brakes is only necessary if there is no trailer battery. I doubt that's something Scamp would do. Some creative electrics from a previous owner perhaps.
I was thinking the same thing. It looks to me it one of those salesman selling more than needed.

Now what to do about? Nothing.
You'll probably want to remove the small extra battery in about 10 years. The one etrailer is selling has a 5 amphour battery. So enjoy the extra 2.5 amp hours of usable energy. After about 10 years or when your house battery will NOT charge to full capacity take out the brakeaway battery and discard.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:26 PM   #26

When installed correctly it will charge off the camper battery, converter or tow vehicle power wire and will not apply power only to the brakes when the emergency switch is activated. It should have indicator lights on it.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:30 PM   #27

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
When installed correctly it will charge off the camper battery, converter or tow vehicle power wire and will not apply power only to the brakes when the emergency switch is activated. It should have indicator lights on it.

Well now I am confused as heck.. unless the word in bold was unintended.

I would guess that a separate break-away switch battery would be to insure the brakes still work if the house battery is not connected, run down too far, etc. But if the break-away battery is in parallel with the house battery and can be discharged though the trailers 12 volt system them that benefit does not exist.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #28

Check out the schematic
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-trailer...tallation.aspx
Old 07-25-2016, 07:49 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:

Looking at that schematic I'm wondering where the "house battery" is?
Old 07-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #30

Registry
FACT 1. The breakaway switch is supposed to hold the brakes for 15 minutes.
FACT 2. The 5 amp hour battery will do that.
FACT 3. The smaller "house batteries" are about 74 amp hours. They'll hold the brakes a lot longer.
FACT 4. When there is a house battery then the breakaway system battery is connected in parallel with the breakaway battery. This is necessary so the breakaway battery is charged with tow vehicle.
FACT 5. The current rating of batteries in parallel in the sum of the two.

I have a breakaway switch on my trailer. It's connected between the battery plus terminal, yes at the battery (house battery) and the break magnets. That's all that needed. The rest is sales hype.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #31

North Carolina
Quote:
OK so it talks about a breakaway "box" housing a battery with optional internal charger. It does not give a schematic of the box itself, or mention if the battery will be hot to the trailer's charge line or house battery. No help there.

I still think you meant to say "will apply power only to the brakes when the emergency switch is activated." Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:23 PM   #32

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Looking at that schematic I'm wondering where the "house battery" is?
Yes, its a horse trailer.. this psudo-schematic is not much help.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #33

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
FACT 4. When there is a house battery then the breakaway system battery is connected in parallel with the breakaway battery. This is necessary so the breakaway battery is charged with tow vehicle.....
Is the break-away battery wired directly to the house battery or charge line. Or is the charge line / house battery wired to a charger in the "battery box" that charges the break away battery but does not allow current in the reverse direction?
Old 07-25-2016, 09:19 PM   #34

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have a house battery. If I were to add a breakaway switch it would be without a separate battery, the house battery being way more than adequate.
I see the breakaway battery to be for a trailer which would otherwise have no onboard battery.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:33 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Yes, its a horse trailer.. this psudo-schematic is not much help.
I'm sorry gordon2 the schematic is very clear and I understand it. I'm not sure what's in the box. It's designed for trailers that don't have a battery.
Yes it's a horse trailer, without battery.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have a house battery. If I were to add a breakaway switch it would be without a separate battery, the house battery being way more than adequate.
I see the breakaway battery to be for a trailer which would otherwise have no onboard battery.

Like I said earlier, the need for a separate breakaway battery is a sales gimmick or a sales rip off. It's for those that take a salesman's word for things.