How level is level? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
I bought a Toyota Tacoma (Off road package) and I'm having a heck of a time finding a ball mount with enough drop to get the trailer tongue perfectly level. With the 5 3/4" drop I've got at the moment the tongue has a slightly noticable rise, but only 1/4 - 1/8 of a bubble on the level -- depending on where I put the level.

Do I need to continue the search for the ultimate level or am I within reasonable tolerance?

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
In my experience, nose down is better than nose up. Biggest impact of nose up is increased tendency to sway as weight is shifted to the rear. If unable to find an off the shelf ball mount check with a local welder, they should be able to fix you up.
ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I suspect your problem will cost around 10k $$$ or more.

Bigger truck = excuse to get a bigger bigfoot

"But Honey, it has to be PERFECTLY level.. or we will die!"
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Dave, try the Trailer Parts Superstore, they've got mounts with drops as much as 10 1/4" for less than $45. I think you'll find what you want for less than $30
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Quote:
Bigger truck = excuse to get a bigger bigfoot
Shh! You're giving away my Master Plan!

Thanks all. I heard what I needed to hear. The search goes on, but now I have more clues.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:49 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'd say you are close enuf right now IF it's a little nose down, not up. If up, then try to get a different "drop" on the ball mount bar. What I would do is go to WalMart, get a couple of likely bars and return the ones that don't fit -- If none fit, at least you will have a better idea of what to order on-line. Remember to pack the tow vehicle as you would for a typical trip, including passengers, because that may affect the ball height.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 17 ft 1991 Bigfoot
I would not what Pete said. You want the nose a little high so that when you load the truck you will probably be much closer to level.

Remember you have a big tow compared to yoru little Bigfoot. Even with my 17' Bigfoot, my Avalanche really is very tolerant and even with 4 people and lots of gear I can really go smoothly down the freeway at 70+ mph.

- Joe
Joe Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
My ball mount is chosen to have the trailer approximately level - erring on the side of nose down if anything - with minimal cargo load. With changes in load, I just inflate the Coil-Rite air bags inside my rear springs to maintain that attitude - the air adjustment really does make accounting for load changes easier.

Ball mounts are only available in reasonable increments, and I doubt sitting an inch low will matter enough to worry about it. One option for the perfectionist is to get a screw-adjustable ball mount (such as the one from Master Lock), if you are not using a weight-distributing hitch (which has it's own special mount requirements), but to me this is more bulk, weight, and complication than needed for the job.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I would not what Pete said. You want the nose a little high so that when you load the truck you will probably be much closer to level.

Remember you have a big tow compared to yoru little Bigfoot. Even with my 17' Bigfoot, my Avalanche really is very tolerant and even with 4 people and lots of gear I can really go smoothly down the freeway at 70+ mph.

- Joe
Joe, I wasn't clear -- I meant to check the level with the tow vehicle packed and set it nose low under the actual conditions for towing, not to set it nose low with the TV empty.

BTW, everything all packed up and ready to roll as if for a trip is an excellent time to get the whole rig weighed at all axles and determine the tongue weight. It's a bit of an iterative process because proper tongue weight and TV load will affect the hookup level, so it may take some jockeying around to get it right.

As Brian points out, an adjustable suspension (air springs, air shocks, etc.) can also be used to fine-tune the towing level.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote