How long does a 5 gallon propane tank last? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #1

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
How long does a 5 gallon propane tank last?

I just completed a little experiment.
On Friday Sept. 3rd I lit the propane on the refer in my 16 ' Scamp.
I left on a trip a trip the following Monday.
On Tuesday morning, the 7th, I lit the hot water heater set the temp at warm and left it on for the entire trip.
I spent time in Zion, Teton and Yellowstone NPs so I used the furnace almost every night. The furnace was set on the lowest setting but it kept me warm every night.
I have dual tanks but the second tank has been turned off the entire trip.
I got home yesterday afternoon. This morning I turned off the propane and still had hot water and a cold refer.
My standard size tank has lasted at least 2 weeks with above normal usage.
I hope this helps others that have been wondering how long their tank will last.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I don't want to sound like a schoolmarm here, but your post could be read to show that you were towing with the refrigerator lit, which is not a good plan.

I realize you probably had it shut off, but I just want to clarify for the benefit of others (and me, if we are near each other on the road )

Propane does give amazing value for money and space, doesn't it?
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Depends on how long you run your propane stove , frig and heater.
In the 3 years I have had my trailer. I have yet to use up a 20lb tank of propane.
I cook on a coleman stove outside all the time. I have only cooked 1 time inside the scamp. I use the propane frig every time we camp which is about 14 days a year. The heater has been used a total of about 1 hr total in 3 years.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
I don't want to sound like a schoolmarm here, but your post could be read to show that you were towing with the refrigerator lit, which is not a good plan.

I realize you probably had it shut off, but I just want to clarify for the benefit of others (and me, if we are near each other on the road )

Propane does give amazing value for money and space, doesn't it?
Hi Raya,
I bought my first TT in 1968. Since then I have had Class A and B Mohos, tent trailers, stick built TTs and now that I am retired and single a 16' Scamp. I even had a 4 horse trailer for a while that had a tack room with a bed, propane, furnace, stove and refer.
The only time I have ever turned my refer off while traveling is when refueling or on a ferry that requires it. I realize this is a controversial subject.
Kevin,
I cooked breakfast every day in my trailer and dinner twice when it was raining.
For 7 days of my trip the night time temps were in the mid to low 30s. I like to be comfortable in my old age and Scamps are not the best cold weather trailers so the thermostat was set at 55 degrees for the night and then 70 while I fixed breakfast and got ready for the day.
I intentionally over utilized the propane on this trip in an effort to give newbies an idea of what to expect as this has been a question in the past.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #5

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
A 5 gal propane tank lasts until ... well, until you're out of propane!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #6

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I have owned to RVs, a class C and a class A. The refer in the class C never worked right... but we always run the refer in the class A on propane while traveling. They do say not to, which is more of a CYA than anything. Safety systems are redundant. If the flame goes out, the propane will stop flowing. Most RVs only have 2-way refers, and there aren't many people who travel with the generator running all the time just to keep the fridge cold. My generator runs on propane, anyway... so what's the difference, right?

The dealership where we bought our class A (an Airstream dealership, but our class A is not an Airstream) even recommended running the fridge on propane while traveling.

I don't know if I will use the Scamp fridge while driving... Most of our camping will be done within a few hours drive, so stuff will probably stay reasonably cold without running it on the road.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
I get about 5 days during hunting season on a 5 gal tank. This is with cooking, coffee, etc (with a burner on low most of the day). Evening runss my propane light (one out of a CJ) and.... the Lil Buddy -Mr heater going ALL the time. So, yeah, propane can last a long time--- Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane