How Long for Heater to Come On? - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2021, 10:20 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
How Long for Heater to Come On?

I'm at home and we have an ice storm knocking power out. I came out to the trailer and when I turn the Suburban propane heater thermostat on, the heater doesn't come on. I haven't used the heat in a couple of years, but I seem to remember it taking a while to come on.

I've waited about 30 seconds and it didn't come on. Does anyone know how long it takes before it should start up? The stove is working fine.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:49 AM   #2

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Do you have the instruction book for it?
Maybe find one on-line.

As I recall, the furnace goes through a purge cycle first, to clear out any unburned gasses, before opening the valve to ignite the LP gas.
Did you open the valves on the LP tanks? Are they full? At very cold temps, the LP may not vaporize. If all functions are not right, the furnace will not light.
Did it ruin the blower? make any noise at all? your battery may be discharged.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:59 AM   #3

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Heater coming on

Do you have DC power, is you battery connected and is it charged up?

Is your propane turned on, if it was not turned on it will take some time for the gas to flow to the heater. If it is cold enough outside and you have propane it may not be vaporizing. Which would then mean you need butane.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:01 AM   #4

Virginia
I've got propane to the stove. I have a 100 watt solar panel on the roof, so the batteries stay charged. I turned a light on, but didn't check voltage.

I don't know the model, just that it is a suburban. Can't find the manual.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:08 AM   #5

Name: Ben
Trailer: Casita SD
South Carolina
Furnace

Mine operates this way: Set the thermostat to "Heat". The blower motor should start running. The blower should move air over a small flag called a sail, which operates a switch, called the sail switch. The sail switch starts a timer running in the ignition circuit. I'm not sure what that time is but it is meant to insure that there is no residual gas in the fire chamber when ignition is initiated. When that time expires, you should hear a definite click. That will be the gas solenoid opening up. I assume that if your blower is running you have enough voltage to open the gas solenoid. With the gas valve open, you should also get an ignition spark and you should see a blue flame in the small window on the front of the furnace. I can see it through the grill on my furnace. This whole process may take about a minute. If mine does not light on the first try, I believe it will try again two more times. Then it will go into "Lockout" and you will need to turn the thermostat off and back on to try it again.
When the furnace does light and the temperature is satisfied, the flame will go out but the blower will continue to run for some time, maybe 30 seconds to a minute. Again, this is to insure that no gas remains in the combustion chamber which could create an explosion hazard on the next ignition cycle.
Make sure you have good gas pressure. Make sure the fresh air inlet and the outlet on the outside of the camper are fully open, not clogged with spider webs are leaves or grass. Good luck.
BenBark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:20 AM   #6

Name: Ben
Trailer: Casita SD
South Carolina
Time stamps

This is just an observation on my part, will not help with the problem.

The OP lists his location at VA. I am in SC which is also Eastern Time Zone. I just replied to his post and the time on my message says I did it at 5:08PM today. It is currently 12:18PM, still today. I'm wondering if maybe we have gone back to the future?
BenBark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:35 AM   #7

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
heater

RV thermostats, unlike the house thermostats have an on/off switch hidden under the bottom of the thermostat, have you moved that switch to the on position?
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:40 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I'm at home and we have an ice storm knocking power out. I came out to the trailer and when I turn the Suburban propane heater thermostat on, the heater doesn't come on. I haven't used the heat in a couple of years, but I seem to remember it taking a while to come on.

I've waited about 30 seconds and it didn't come on. Does anyone know how long it takes before it should start up? The stove is working fine.
When there is a call for heat from the thermostat, the blower should come on immediately. About 5 seconds later, the burner should start. With the blower running, you will hear a slight rumble as the burner starts. Is any of this happening?

Please give more information than simply "doesn't come on". Is the thermostat switched on and set high enough to call for heat? Is the blower running? Do you have propane and is the tank turned on?

Do a bit of troubleshooting and give more details if you can.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #9

Virginia
Thanks everyone. The weather is too nasty to troubleshoot right now. Hopefully the power will come back on soon, although the trees are more iced up now than they were a few hours ago.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:02 PM   #10

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
On mine you turn the thermostat full up then after it goes through its start cycle set the temp.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:10 PM   #11

Virginia
Power is back on, but trees are still covered with ice. I wouldn't be surprised if we have another outage tonight. The green trees (Magnolias, pines, Cedar) are the ones that have big limbs breaking off because they have more surface areas for ice to attach.
Attached Thumbnails
ice1.jpg