How long is too long? (propane hose, that is) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
How long is too long? (propane hose, that is)

I am putting a 'T' on my trailer's propane tank with a quick disconnect for a 2nd hose. That way, I can run my little grill or firepit at a distance from the tank. I'm thinking of getting a 15ft hose but don't know if there is a maximum length I can use?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I'm hoping that 15 feet is acceptable - cause that's what I'm planning, too. I'd consider 10 to be the MINIMUM for me as I plan on putting a (portable) BBQ on the picnic table, and I have a "quick connect" on the side of my trailer and I want a bit of leeway as to where things can go......
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
.......with the co$t of the custom made hose (special length) and appropriate fittings, wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to do what we do???

Buy an extra tank, & use the hose that comes with the designated appliance? Then you can put/use that appliance WHERE EVER you choose without having to concern yourself about (possible) pressure drop OR the potential of TRIPPING hazard??
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
There are all kinds of 10 foot, 12 foot and 15 foot "profane" hoses on Flea Bay in the 20-25 dollar range. Since I already have a propane supply in the form of a pair of 30# tanks on the tongue of my Bigfoot (And a low-pressure quick-connect outlet on the side of the trailer), the thought of carrying yet another additional tank of ANY size is not appealing......
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
There is no legal limit on hose length. You could daisy-chain a couple or more together if you wanted to. One problem with a very long hose may be safety. Driving over it etc. The problem that may become apparent is a loss of gas flow at the end due to high pressure drop in a very long hose. That is why most industrial installations are a combination of hose and hard pipe. Hose to simplify switching cylinders, and hard pipe to provide abit more protection and the inside of the pipe is smoother than hose, giving less pressure drop at the use end.

Having said all that, I have used them up to 30 feet off of 20 pound or more propane cylinders. Cylinders of 5 pound size or less don't seem to be able to generate enough vapour for even short hose lengths.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think the limiting factor would be flow rate. If you tried to pull a huge amount of gas thorough say, 50 feet, you may have an issue.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We have a buried tank and it is over 50 ft to the house.

Look at the orifice in the stove and you will see that it is a pinhole measured in microns. You're not going to have a flow problem.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #8

Registry
I'm thinking that 15 feet will do me. I don't want to grill far away from the trailer, I actually like to sit my small propane fire pit next to my awnning, or else my grill is near the back of the trailer. If I want to grill on a table 30ft away, I have a small disposable. My concern was about pressure drop. But it sounds like if I am at 15-20ft from the tank, I'm fine. Thanks so much for the advice!
Old 03-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I have a 20 foot hose on mine, and two five footers from the tee it feeds to the appliances
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #10

Registry
WOOHOO!! On a whim, I pulled over for a tool sale at the neighbors and he was selling a 20ft propane hose for 5 bucks!! SCORE!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
I carry two tanks on the trailer. A 20 pound tank for inside use and a 10 pound one which I use for the BBQ outside. I can move the small one to any locaton on the campsite and with an 8 ft hose place the BQ or stove anywhere. Usually I keep the small tank chained and padlocked to the rear bumper or the tongue so that it doesn't walk away.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #12

Name: Lyndaleen
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Benz View Post
There is no legal limit on hose length. You could daisy-chain a couple or more together if you wanted to. One problem with a very long hose may be safety. Driving over it etc. The problem that may become apparent is a loss of gas flow at the end due to high pressure drop in a very long hose. That is why most industrial installations are a combination of hose and hard pipe. Hose to simplify switching cylinders, and hard pipe to provide abit more protection and the inside of the pipe is smoother than hose, giving less pressure drop at the use end.

Having said all that, I have used them up to 30 feet off of 20 pound or more propane cylinders. Cylinders of 5 pound size or less don't seem to be able to generate enough vapour for even short hose lengths.

Vic
I think you're solving my problem, too. I bought a dual fuel generator and am mounting it on the tongue of my 1972 Hunter Compact Jr. It came with a 4' propane hose, so I bought another 10' hose so it would reach the tank which will be mounted on the back bumper. I began wo worry if I could actually daisy chain it. I'm very encouraged now. My generator is will flow 3500W - 4850W, I bought a portable AC that pulls 1056W. I'm hoping by buying things bigger than I need will help not strain them. My AC can cool 100 sq ft., my Hunter is 60. Thanks for your answer!!!
Lyndaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I use 25 or more feet of hose (2 pieces) to run my gear off my low pressure connection.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndaleen View Post
I think you're solving my problem, too. I bought a dual fuel generator and am mounting it on the tongue of my 1972 Hunter Compact Jr. It came with a 4' propane hose, so I bought another 10' hose so it would reach the tank which will be mounted on the back bumper. I began to worry if I could actually daisy chain it. I'm very encouraged now. My generator is will flow 3500W - 4850W, I bought a portable AC that pulls 1056W. I'm hoping by buying things bigger than I need will help not strain them. My AC can cool 100 sq ft., my Hunter is 60. Thanks for your answer!!!
A bad idea here...
NFPA 1192, Standard for Recreational Vehicles, prohibits mounting propane tanks on the rear of a trailer or other RV.

1.3 Location of LP-Gas Containers. LP-Gas containers shall be installed in accordance with 5.1.3.1 through 5.1.3.4.
5.1.3.1 LP-Gas containers shall not be installed nor shall provisions be made for installing or storing any LP-Gas containers,
even temporarily, inside any recreational vehicle.
5.1.3.2 Containers shall not be mounted on the exterior of the rear wall or the rear bumper of the vehicle.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #15

Name: Lyndaleen
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
A bad idea here...
NFPA 1192, Standard for Recreational Vehicles, prohibits mounting propane tanks on the rear of a trailer or other RV.

1.3 Location of LP-Gas Containers. LP-Gas containers shall be installed in accordance with 5.1.3.1 through 5.1.3.4.
5.1.3.1 LP-Gas containers shall not be installed nor shall provisions be made for installing or storing any LP-Gas containers,
even temporarily, inside any recreational vehicle.
5.1.3.2 Containers shall not be mounted on the exterior of the rear wall or the rear bumper of the vehicle.
uh-oh. I'm screwed. Well, I go back to the drawing board...and RV codes.
Lyndaleen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane