How much flex should a torsion axle flex, if a torsion axle could flex flex? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #1

Name: Clay and Keri
Trailer: Eggert the Scamp
Tennessee
How much flex should a torsion axle flex, if a torsion axle could flex flex?

Hi all! Hoping someone can help me. I am doing the torsion axle flex test by having the Scamp hooked to the tug and having my wife bounce up and down inside. I have...maybe a 1/4 inch of movement in the axle way much more in the tires. How does this stand for the test? New axle or is this adequate?

Thanks in advance!!!!!
JeepScamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I am not at all sure if one can tell much from bouncing up and down inside the trailer while it is stationary. Maybe others will know more. But I can say from past reading here that people tend to replace their Scamp axles when the arm angle has changed so much that one can no longer insert a fist vertically between the tire top and the wheel well above it. As the axle rubber ages, the whole thing droops. When you run the risk of having the tire bounce up into the wheel well and wear the fiberglass there, something must be done.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #3

Tennessee
Thanks Mike! The problem is manifolded by the fact that the PO put 12" wheels on it. I don't really know the correct size. Scamp says the new ones come with a 13" wheel. No info that I've found about tire size. With the 12" 4.8-12's I can run my fist completely around the wheel well. I also don't want to buy new tires if the axle is shot.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #4

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I don't know. How much wood could a woodchuck chuck? Sorry. Couldn't resist.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
  1. Download the Torflex information http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...nformation.pdf
  2. Take your tire off
  3. Determine if you have a Torflex
  4. determine your start angle
  5. Using jacks, blocks and people to bounce get the values for your axle on each side
  6. make your own decision or post results with pictures on how you tested and where you took measurements from
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #6

Tennessee
Glad you liked it Bob! Life's too short to not have a sense of humor.

Thanks Roy! I downloaded the PDF and am looking at it.

Tags
axle