How much weight can a Scamp hold on its rooftop? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 07:11 PM   #1

Name: RoseMarie
Trailer: 1983 Scamp and 1981 Scotty
Virginia
How much weight can a Scamp hold on its rooftop?

My little 1983 Scamp is the 13' (with 3 of those feet being the tongue). Anybody know how much weight can be on the top of the Scamp? Mine doesn't have an AC unit and I've found a used rooftop a/c for sale that I'd like to buy but the seller thinks it weighs about 100 pounds and I'm not sure it's a good idea to set anything that heavy on top of a Scamp.

Currently, the Scamp only has a crank opening with a screen and a flat-ish cover for the opening so it's had no weight to speak of up there. Also, it has no electrical up there (yet) so I'm going to have to figure out how to remedy that issue, too.

Any comments, thoughts, suggestions?

THANKS.

--RoseMarie
RoseMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseMarie Dorer View Post
My little 1983 Scamp is the 13' (with 3 of those feet being the tongue). Anybody know how much weight can be on the top of the Scamp? Mine doesn't have an AC unit and I've found a used rooftop a/c for sale that I'd like to buy but the seller thinks it weighs about 100 pounds and I'm not sure it's a good idea to set anything that heavy on top of a Scamp.

Currently, the Scamp only has a crank opening with a screen and a flat-ish cover for the opening so it's had no weight to speak of up there. Also, it has no electrical up there (yet) so I'm going to have to figure out how to remedy that issue, too.

Any comments, thoughts, suggestions?

THANKS.

--RoseMarie
in order to install a roof air on a 13Scamp of that vintage, the roof must be reinforced.
The good news is that at that time it was done with two wood rafters cut to conform to the shape of the ceiling and arched out on the bottom.
This method is something which can be done with simple DIY skills.

Scamp now does it by fiberglass reinforcing the ceiling which is nice but more expensive and very high on the DIY scale
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #3

Name: AyoLane
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Roof top AC

I have a 1981 model and would also like to put in a roof top AC. is there any pictures of the reinforcement support or drawling out there for pattern comparison? Does the reinforcements continue down to the floor?
AyoLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyoLane View Post
I have a 1981 model and would also like to put in a roof top AC. is there any pictures of the reinforcement support or drawling out there for pattern comparison? Does the reinforcements continue down to the floor?
I'll see if I can find pictures or a pattern. The reinforcements do not extend downward along the walls.
I think you could start with a couple of 2X6s or 2X8s of clear oak or southern yellow pine and a saber saw. Of course material will be removed from both sides of the board so that the head clearance should not be affected any or much more than the intrusion of the A/C itself.
The headers are attached to the roof with through the shell screws and snap caps.
I would simply make a pattern from cardboard. If you make it symmetrical
the roof will easily conform to the minor differences and give a nice appearance.
I have not done this particular mod, but I have fabbed cabinets which returned shape to an empty shell.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #5

Name: Heather
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Registry
My 77...lacks roof supports! I can tell you I would NOT even think of allowing a canoe ect to sit on top!

When I was sealing the original roof vent a few years back...my resting body weight made the shell give a little bit... Lesson on roof capability learned...

Heather
noyes1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
It is not just the 100 lb static load, consider the dynamic load every time you hit a bump. I would recommend using supports down the wall to support the beams across the roof to the carry the load right down to the floor. The walls are just 1/8" thick fiberglass and not designed to carry vertical load, they will start to bow out from the weight.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
It is not just the 100 lb static load, consider the dynamic load every time you hit a bump. I would recommend using supports down the wall to support the beams across the roof to the carry the load right down to the floor. The walls are just 1/8" thick fiberglass and not designed to carry vertical load, they will start to bow out from the weight.
Those trailers were not normally fitted with roof A/C at the time...
The walls are already supported by the furniture, and what I described was the standard endorsed solution at the time the OPs trailer was built for those who wanted a roof mount.

You are correct that the Scamp 13 was lighter and thinner thirty years ago, even the frames were lighter gauge and the axles were 1200# instead of 2200#.
Still many trailers were successfully fitted in this way and have endured over time.
I would prefer the fiberglass application on the ceiling mentioned earlier.
Ed Smith had Scamp install roof air recently and using this method and it is excellent with a factory look and finish. No additional wall support was used or needed.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Personally would not put ANYTHING on the roof of a Scamp that has not had the roof totally reinforced as Floyd has suggested.

Also be aware of what the axle rating is/was on the older Scamps at the time of manufacturing - if its the original 1200lb one - its a good bet loaded up that you are already over the axles limit based on the Trailer Weights in the Real World thread where there are only 3 out of 29 13' trailers that weight under 1200lbs loaded- most were in the 1500lb to 1800lbs range and going all the way up to 2600lbs!

Correct: above was total weights. Looking at axle weights only still only 5 out of 29 13's with axle only weights under 1200lbs and the average axle only weight appears to be between 1400lbs to 1600lbs with the heaviest weighing in at 2380lbs on the axle.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, weight