How to add flagpole holders for awning? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #1

Name: Chantal
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
How to add flagpole holders for awning?

Hello handy people,

We own a 1974 boler, and would like to add flagpole holders under the side lights to hold our awning in place using the track. We would use a piece of 1/2 inch plywood to bolt each flagpole holder in place on the inside. Has anyone done this with a fiberglass RV? I've seen many photos of pup ups with this, but am not sure fiberglass would be strong enough, even with a large piece of wood on the inside.

Any other recommendations? Should we use silicone?

Sorry, my photos are all upside down.

Many thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0378.JPG   IMG_0376.JPG  

IMG_0374.JPG  
boler girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #2

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Bimini Fittings

My Casita has custom clip support points for awning support riveted directly onto the fiberglass and I don’t think that there is any extra inside support. Unfortunately, the prior owner removed the awning after it was damaged beyond repair by a windstorm leaving the support points on the bottom/side and the roof mounted mounting brackets.

In lieu of the flagpole holders, I would think that bimini fittings normally used on boats might be better and less obtrusive. For example: support and frame. I suspect that there are different sizes which hopefully would fit your awning supports. They are also available in stainless steel.

And, yes, I would use silicone sealant when riviting/screwing the supports to your Bioler.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:45 AM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks LarryB. I really like the Bimini fittings that you suggested, but we did the work a couple of days ago using the flagpole holders. I agree that they are more obtrusive than the Bimini, but they are white like our trailer, so not too much of an eyesore. We did use silicone and a piece a plywood inside. The mounts are hidden inside the back and front seats. We tested the awning yesterday in strong wind, and were very pleased with the results. We're going camping for 5 days next week, and will test it some more.
Again, thank you for taking the time to reply.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
The one thing that concerned me about you design is awning sag in the middle that could cause your brackets to twist. You could put a piece of PVC along the outer edge of the awning or place your stakes at an angle to keep the center of the awning tight.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #5

British Columbia
Thanks Dave Fish. We ended up adding a PVC pipe between the two poles using two "T" joints, and this lessened to the stress on the brackets greatly. Good thought.

Tags
awning