how to circulate a/c - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #1

Name: Gretchen
Trailer: Coachman Freedom Express
Tennessee
how to circulate a/c

Hello fellow Fiberglass owners,

We had our first hot weekend and were trying so hard to cool off our ParkLiner. It does have a a/c unit, but its near the floor and aimed almost out the door instead of into the unit. We love so many things about the quality and design of this trailer, but a/c placement is not one of them. We plan on trying an ocilating floor fan next trip. It got so hot everywhere except down low, I'm sure the dog was very cozy.

Anyone have an awning that covers the whole top as seems keeping the sun off it would help alot as we were stuck in a spot with almost no shade. Thanks
Old 06-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Put a
Small fan on the floor aimed up at the ceiling helps to blow the cold air up and around.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I have a portable fan that uses D cell batteries. There is a 120 volt adapter that I'm thinking of getting. Got the fan at Walmart and not expensive.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I had the same issue in my Scamp 16 last week. Brand new 6000 BTU A/C unit and mid 90s temps in very little shade. The A/C was doing its' thing but the air was not moving around the trailer. I am going to get a small 12v fan to use in the trailer and plan on adding a 12v weather-proof outlet on the outside of the trailer for it (and other 12v uses). The trailer has one 12v outlet on the interior from the factory that should suffice.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #5

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
We had the same problem as you with our AC near the floor. A fan on the floor pointed up made a significant difference. It went from cold on the floor and kind of warm elsewhere to nice and chilly everywhere. We used a 120V fan since we only use AC when we have 120V. We then use the fan on the lowest setting. Good luck.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Heat rises (furnace) and cold falls (A/C), add baffles for each or you'll end up with a hot head (furnace) and cold feet (A/C). Baffles don't need to be fans, they can be diverters (like plexi or wood) that AIM the vents elsewhere.

Best of luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #7

Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Ohio
We picked up a fan-tastic endless breeze 12v fan. Put it on the floor under the table and it's like convection air conditioning inside.
summer scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:30 AM   #8

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I have a small ac powered turbo fan that I sit on the floor right below the air conditioner and have it blowing upwards to move the air around...often times at night I would aim it a bit towards my bed to get the air moving towards me.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #9

Name: Joel
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Love Tennessee!

Hi Gretchen,
Tammie here- Joel and I took our ParkLiner to Tennessee May 24-28, and camped in the woods behind his sister's cabin, near Summertown. We had a lot of shade, so it never got too hot. Our Honeywell HT-904 tabletop fan from WalMart doesn't oscillate, but tilts up and down, and the air it drew in from the open dinette window felt like AC! Actually too cool to leave on all night. It's a pretty powerful little fan, and we'll put it on the floor in front of the AC when needed.
Great trip- did a little canoeing on the Buffalo River, and snapped up some batiks at Stitcher's Garden in Franklin, but I digress.
Where are your favorite spots in Tennessee?
Joel B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #10

Tennessee
Hi Tammie, I'll digress too, are you a quilter as well? Or another happy fabric hoarder!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Batiks! They are like diamonds in fabric, and emeralds and rubys. . .Never been to the store in Franklin. THat is the Hollywood of TN for me, probably a bit pricey. But batiks are worth more. We live about an hour east of Nashville, and I really try to avoid the traffic. I did find what has to be the BEST batik collection this side of heaven in southern Virginia in Wyethville. Shop is called Sew What (I think) I stayed in the clearance room, yes, room not section. Got some wonderful greens at about 9.75 a yard I think. Most of the others were $11.75 about. Its an old house, each room is FULL, 4 racks tall of batiks, had to be thousands of them. I was like a junkie at Woodstock in there. Overload of happy. Really cute town as well, very worth going back too. Batiks Etcetera & Sew What Fabrics

okay, there is a SUPER quilt store in Crossville near us. I try not to go too often or I will take out a mortgage on the house buying more there! Lovely fabrics, I think mostly $9 something a yard, very good quality, not the thin stuff. Its called Little Blessings Quilt Shop.

I think I am talking about fans here, check.

Do you hand quilt? I do, love it. Takes me almost 2 years to finish most of my work. Am thinking about doing some wall hangings as the beds are all covered! Tell me what you do? Always nice to find a fellow fabric lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel B View Post
Hi Gretchen,
Tammie here- Joel and I took our ParkLiner to Tennessee May 24-28, and camped in the woods behind his sister's cabin, near Summertown. We had a lot of shade, so it never got too hot. Our Honeywell HT-904 tabletop fan from WalMart doesn't oscillate, but tilts up and down, and the air it drew in from the open dinette window felt like AC! Actually too cool to leave on all night. It's a pretty powerful little fan, and we'll put it on the floor in front of the AC when needed.
Great trip- did a little canoeing on the Buffalo River, and snapped up some batiks at Stitcher's Garden in Franklin, but I digress.
Where are your favorite spots in Tennessee?
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1563.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 11:34 PM   #11

Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
Alabama
Hi Gretchen,
Yes, I'm a "quoarder" and especially love batiks, but admit to a little Kaffe Fassett crush, as well. It's all about color, and the more, the better!
I love your quilt and the colors- is it for Fern? I haven't finished one for Esio yet. Even though I'm a machine quilter, it's mostly free-motion and I'm pretty slow. My machine has been known to go on camping trips with us, but some hand quilting would be nice.

If you venture west, Stitcher's Garden is just off I-65, and you could easily spend all day and not see all the fabric. Even more than Mary Jo's in Gastonia, NC, maybe not too far from you? Thanks for telling me about Crossville and Wytheville- looks like it'll be an Egg Roll Shop Hop!

Here's a picture of the king-sized quilt that took about 8 years to finish... Now it's wallhangings for me.
Attached Thumbnails
2014-06-02 10.54.05.jpg   001.jpg  

Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:07 AM   #12

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Alto R1723
North Carolina
Beautiful quilts Gretchen and Tammy!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Kudzu Asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #13

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Hello fellow Fiberglass owners,

We had our first hot weekend and were trying so hard to cool off our ParkLiner. It does have a a/c unit, but its near the floor and aimed almost out the door instead of into the unit. We love so many things about the quality and design of this trailer, but a/c placement is not one of them. We plan on trying an ocilating floor fan next trip. It got so hot everywhere except down low, I'm sure the dog was very cozy.

Anyone have an awning that covers the whole top as seems keeping the sun off it would help alot as we were stuck in a spot with almost no shade. Thanks
In my own experience Gretchen, I would suggest that it will be very difficult to find an awning that would cover your trailer (or ours!). ParkLiners are just too tall. You might be able to have one custom made, but that would get pricey

Quilters in ParkLiners eh? Gail has been quilting for decades, gets together with her sisters and a couple female cousins often to work on family quilts (mostly theme oriented for nieces and nephews). We don't have a bed in our house without a Gail quilt, and most of our kids (I think all?) have quilts Gail made. She's always working on one. We have a great quilt store not far from where we live too. Seems to me one of her sewing machine is a quilt-specific one.

Best of luck to you!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #14

New Jersey
Registry
They do make a 12x12 ez up....I was thinking that way and throw it over the whole ParkLiner.... or maybe set it up and pull the ParkLiner through it so it would shade the whole thing.... but then your kinda hiding it lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 06-03-2014, 06:43 AM   #15

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
They do make a 12x12 ez up....I was thinking that way and throw it over the whole ParkLiner.... or maybe set it up and pull the ParkLiner through it so it would shade the whole thing.... but then your kinda hiding it lol
An awning really needs an air space above the trailer to assist in cooling. The air between the awning and the trailer essentially acts as insulation. Just draping one over it would have no positive effect.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 06-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #16

New Jersey
Registry
Something like this Amazon.com : E-Z UP Sierra II 12 by 12 Shelter, Blue : Sun Shelters : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Old 06-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #17

New York
We have three of these ranging from 10 X 10 to 12 X 12 to 14 X 16. None of them are tall enough to set up over the ParkLiner.
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 06-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #18

Tennessee
Thanks Derek. Some kind of overhead shelter in TN summer would be great. I was thinking some kind of sail type. We have one like in your link, but not tall enough to go over it. Just use that for over the chairs. Might get an awning attached, but rather not puncture a spot up top. Yah, it would cover it up a bit, but as long as your cool. My husband knows when I get too hot, I get cranky and he says, 'you're too hot' sure enough. This Minnesota blood won't leave me!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #19

Tennessee
Frank, I bet Gail and I would be fast friends. Same thing at our house, always working on at least one quilt, one more being peiced, one more collecting fabric for. Its my addiction, so at least it makes nice things!! I do bring quilts and hand quilt starting in the middle with a large hoop and working my way out so as to not quilt in any wrinkles. Works very well!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #20

Tennessee
Thanks Leslie!