How to determine optimum height of hitch? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #41

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Glenn, I am sure you would ask a service technician who sets up tow equipment on a daily basis and not a salesman.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I took my tow to a hitch shop. That's what they do.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:10 PM   #43

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I took my tow to a hitch shop. That's what they do.

I have done hitch shops in the past. Most of them sell hitches. They have a shop and the like, but what they really do is sell hitches and stuff. They put it on if they have to. But they generally sell stuff.

I have a good RV shop down the road. Roots RV if you need to know. Their sales staff is just that sales staff. And if I need to buy something and really just need to buy it and know what I need in general and how to install it, they are fabuilous. But if I have any kind of questions like this I ask for someone from the shop to come up front. They will get someone and they will get you totally fixed up.

But I find that to many places now really just are sales places even if they have a shop.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:45 PM   #44

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
A properly set up tow rig will utilize the following equipment.

Weight distribution hitch.

Sway control bars.

Safety chains.

Electric trailer brakes and brake controller in tow vehicle.

The weight distribution hitch can adjust the height and level the entire combination of the tow vehicle and the trailer resulting in a perfect marriage between the tow vehicle and the trailer resulting in a rewarding towing experience.
With all due respect... I call BS!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #45

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Me thinks you all may know SQUAT. !!
Right back atcha!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:05 PM   #46

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I'm just proud of the fact that I achieved "wind-bag" status! Been giggling about that for a couple of days.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:15 PM   #47

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
See a lot of discussions about fancy distribution hitches. Now if you are towing a large trailer, heck yes. OK I tow loads many times the size of my tow vehicle at the upper edge of its capacity of times. BUT that is done for a short distance and not at speed. And generally because the equipment rental company dropped stuff at the wrong place. They can drop something same day or next day, but if they drop it at the same place then think you need to wait 3-4 days for them to fix it or rent and pay for two of them. :-( But I would never ever think of towing a load like that any distance or at speed without all the fancy hitch things mentioned here.

My scamp is a little ove half the weight of my tow vehicle. I can sure as heck tell when I use the wrong receiver insert. Had to do that to get home one time when someone stole one. :-( But if you have the trailer level and hitched at the proper level it tows like a dream. Even when the road becomes a nightmare it tows like a dream. I have had to drive the high speed slalom course thing while safely stopping when someone dropped a load of barrels right ahead of me. The trailer ended up with a blown tire from the debris. But otherwise it handled perfectly.

Do the hitch level thing right and if you have a good heavy duty tow vehicle you should get the same result. As I said I had to use a wrong unit, what I could buy at walmart ready made once and ever stop and every turn you knew you had that danged trailer back there.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:28 AM   #48

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Smart man....should have brought ZachO along...he needs some guidance with his SQUAT !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #49

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Hey how'd you know??
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote