How to fix hole in glass? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #1

Name: Shelly
Trailer: Nineteen 70 something Scamp
Georgia
Registry
How to fix hole in glass?

Ok-we are totally new here and there are so many posts that I can't find one on fixing a hole in fiberglass. On our 3rd trip out I backed into a stationary picnic table and made it officially ours! We have a 13' Scamp that we are guessing is 70's-80's because whomever owned it before had redone the trailer and taken off or painted over the VIN???? Will post pics when can... Would appreciate any advice.
Shelly n Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Shelly n Les,

There are different methods depending on the size, shape, and location of the problem. Can you show an overall view (so we can see where it is located), and then some close ups too? If you can show inside and outside views, so much the better.

Sounds like a nice, heavy duty picnic table, but maybe a bit big to bring with you on every trip

Augh!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #3

Name: Shelly
Trailer: Nineteen 70 something Scamp
Georgia
Registry
Pics of the damage

Here's the link to see the pics of the damage and well just the fabulous lil' Scamp. WE LOVE IT!!!

13' Scamp - a set on Flickr

And yes the picnic table is ABSOLUTELY too big-BAAHHAAHAA!!!!
Shelly n Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
ow - too big to fix with chewing gum, maybe duct tape....
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Okay, that's an owie. Darnit!

So, that is fixable, of course, but it's a bit more involved than just a tiny hole or something. Probably not the best thing to tackle for your first repair, unless you are pretty gung ho. You need to first make the structural repair, and then make it look good. You would need to make sure to keep the shape (since it's not just a flat panel).

On the other hand, fiberglass isn't rocket science either, and you will easily be able to make it stronger than it ever was before.

Given that it's not that hard to remove a bench from these campers, I would want to take out that side's rear bench, for better access. You would also want to remove the clearance light, and the water inlet. Then you would need to peel back the Ensolite and get the adhesive off (I just posted about this in another thread) (if you have Ensolite and adhesive under the benches...)

Hmm, I'm thinking about how I would repair this...I'm working to a deadline right now at my desk, so these are just quick thoughts.

1) If I thought it would be possible to keep the shape this way, I would "realign" the breaks, and tape over it all on the outside to make it as sturdy as possible.

2) If that support seemed sturdy enough, I would grind/sand the inside extending out at least a few inches on all sides past the cracks, then patch from the inside with biaxmat and epoxy resin.

3) Then I would come back to the outside and grind off the damage, then build it up with cloth and/or fairing compound as necessary, then gelcoat or paint.

There are alternative ways, but that's what came to mind on first glance. That said, the taped over broken part might not be strong enough to hold up to your sanding/grinding on the inside. Then you would have to come up with something else, like making a female support/mold or something.

I'll be interested to hear what others have to say (or even what comes to my mind when I'm not trying to get something done for a deadline at work!)

Until you can get to it, I would tape over it with 3M 225 tape and plastic.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I think you'd maybe need to Drill some holes and screw in some temporary anchors to bring stuff into alignment, or maybe rivet to a thin sheet of metal to hold stuff in alignment while you glass in support from the back. Then the grinding, sanding and gel coat on the front side. Maybe get a quote for repair from a boat guy. This would be a big piece to bite off as a first repair.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Raya and Matt have provided excellent processes/suggestions on how to fix your damage. I have several years experience in a professional fiberglass manufacturing facility. Because of this experience, I strongly suggest you try to find someone to help you. Performing a repair of this magnitude without some prior experience will not be an easy task. Good luck, Ron
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Shelly,

In June our first camping trip included a blowout which tore a hole in the camper well and made a crack. I brought a $25 fiberglass kit home for hubby to do it. Ended up returning the kit and having it professionally repaired---it was about $1100
Attached Thumbnails
P1010028.jpg   P1010030.jpg  

P1010031.jpg  
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
The big hole
Attached Thumbnails
P1010030.jpg  
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote