How to get comps - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #41

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I would take really good pictures of the axle assembly, top and bottom, and send them to Scamp along with a letter from an attorney. If it can be determined the factory was negligent on how the axle was attached, you just may have a better outcome.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #42
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
I would take really good pictures of the axle assembly, top and bottom, and send them to Scamp along with a letter from an attorney. If it can be determined the factory was negligent on how the axle was attached, you just may have a better outcome.
Darwin, you indicated this is not the first time this has happened. I dont recall 13' or 16' scamps having axles seperate like this. Why do you think this is occuring to the 19' ? I assume you've checked yours.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #43

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Here's an older thread on the subject.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-31032.html

Very interesting... Looks like it affects 2002-2007. Seems like it might affect 16's as well.

EDIT- Found another brief mention of the problem in 2012. This thread identifies 2001-2007 as the affected years. The link in post #2 seems to be dead. I wonder if someone still has the document... Donna?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ets-55260.html
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Here's an older thread on the subject.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-31032.html

Very interesting... If there has been any discussion of this since 2008, the date of the last post in this thread, I couldn't find it. Looks like it affects 2002-2007. Seems like it might affect 16D's as well.
Darwin Maring
One of those posts is mine.
Scamp sent me a free Dexter new axle and paid for most of the retrofit.
I paid for some because I raised the camper and had the new axle Bolted On (As it should be).

I suggested he take some really good pictures of the top and bottom of the axle so a determination could be made as to why it came off. If the axle is the original one from the factory then he may come out with a better resolution.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #45
Raz

Vermont
Thanks Jon for finding that. An interesting read for sure. Darwin, sounds like you are right on top of things. Good to hear. That's a thread that every Scamp owner with a trailer built during that time frame should read. Shame the OP of this thread didn't. As I wasn't interested in a fifth wheel I didn't do much research back then but I do remember reading a Kamper Bob page. Sounds like Scamp did the right thing. One has to wonder how many of these time bombs have not been discovered yet. Raz
Old 03-15-2017, 11:09 PM   #46

Name: Gerald
Trailer: Ulta 5th Wheel
AZ
Quote:
Darwin Maring
One of those posts is mine.
Scamp sent me a free Dexter new axle and paid for most of the retrofit.
I paid for some because I raised the camper and had the new axle Bolted On (As it should be).

I suggested he take some really good pictures of the top and bottom of the axle so a determination could be made as to why it came off. If the axle is the original one from the factory then he may come out with a better resolution.
I sent a letter to Kent at Scamp, he is the one that helped provide a better estimate of value for the insurance company. I sent him the link from the previous posts that showed that Scamp knew of this problem. We shall see what their response is and go from there.
jvhretiredatcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:40 AM   #47

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
EDIT- Found another brief mention of the problem in 2012. This thread identifies 2001-2007 as the affected years. The link in post #2 seems to be dead. I wonder if someone still has the document... Donna?
No, I don't have it. But that link is KamperBob's. He was just here about a month ago. Maybe he can supply the PDF and I can see it gets uploaded into the Document Center (if he'll let us).

Fiberglass RV - View Profile: KamperBob
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #48

Me, I would pay a Lawyer to write and send the letter. It is an eye opener and gets 100% of their attention.

If the axle had been replaced by a previous owner then Scamp has no libility.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:15 AM   #49

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Sorry to see all the damage to your dear Scamp!

On the humor side, I see that it is now a great candidate for a Minnesota ice shanty, complete with ready-made fishing hole.

Locate a good fiberglass repair shop or two (including boat body repair, since many boats are molded FG) and get some estimates. Or study up on how to do the repair yourselves, if you like projects. It looks like the trailer should be repairable, just a question of how much time and/or $$$.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #50

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
When I finally got insurance on my 2002 Scamp 19'(Now Sold) I had a real hard time explaining that it was worth more than $4000.00. After some advice I printed off about 20 different sales of Scamps that were in my year range. Finally I was cleared without an certified appraisal for insurance for $11,000.00 for only $138.00 per year. Problem is insurance company's don't understand the sale values of fiberglass campers.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #51

AZ
Quote:
Me, I would pay a Lawyer to write and send the letter. It is an eye opener and gets 100% of their attention.

If the axle had been replaced by a previous owner then Scamp has no libility.
It was the original axle with the 3 inch lift kit on it installed by Scamp. Kent from Scamp did respond to my letter and asked for pictures which I have sent to him.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:19 AM   #52

AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Sorry to see all the damage to your dear Scamp!

On the humor side, I see that it is now a great candidate for a Minnesota ice shanty, complete with ready-made fishing hole.

Locate a good fiberglass repair shop or two (including boat body repair, since many boats are molded FG) and get some estimates. Or study up on how to do the repair yourselves, if you like projects. It looks like the trailer should be repairable, just a question of how much time and/or $$$.
Thanks Mike for the tip about boat repair shops, never thought of that but it is a good idea. Our Scamp is being delivered to our house anytime now and we will get some estimates for repairs. For us to repair it is well beyond our personal capabilities, we had a Fiber Stream that we bought before with the intent of restoring it, it sat in our yard for a year and a half untouched before we sold it. As for the humorous side it probably would make a nice ice shanty but we try to stay away from ice and snow, just too darn cold for us.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #53

AZ
Ok so we just got the initial estimate from the repair shop, looking for opinions if it is worth fixing or better to part it out. First off the frame is not bent, so that means it is repairable. The initial estimate is $6,000 but we expect it to go at least another $1,000 higher as he finds more things along the way. So here is the question to you all, is it worth having a Salvaged title 5th wheel that basically cost $7,000 or is it better to part it out and find another one?

Opinions??????
Old 03-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #54

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If it's repaired, will it have a "salvage" title. Here in NY, a vehicle that the insurance company totaled gets a salvage title. Then to get it registered again it has to go through a salvage inspection that is close to $300. Your state is probably different, but something to look into. If you part it out, that could go on for a long time and some of it will never sell. You'll probably end up with the shell, and what do you do with that. I would say, my opinion only, either fix it or sell it as is. Or at least get an axle in it so it's moveable if you do sell it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #55
Raz

Vermont
If it were me, I'd take the money and run. Let the insurance company have it and buy something else. Maybe a nice Casita.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:17 PM   #56

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Plan A: Fix it.
Plan B: Part it out
Plan C: Sell it as one unit to someone else as their diy project.
If plan A doesn't appeal to you, I think I'd explore Plan C next. It might need an axle, or flatbed trailer.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #57

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I've had vehicles with salvage titles before and I can tell you, the only way it works out is if you keep it for a long, long, time. Buyers freak out whenever they see a salvage title, to the point you have to give the item away if you want to get rid of it later.

All the credible buying sites tell buyers to never touch a vehicle with a salvage title. Its as if they would prefer we as a society scrap all this stuff out. I've never understood it.

People think salvage title = junk or scam. My last salvaged title vehicle I owned was only one month old (F150 Lariat) when it was crashed. Truck had $5000 damage or less, but insurance company totaled it. I think sometimes insurance companies would rather walk away from crashed vehicles than have the headaches you get from repairs. I bought it from the guy that repaired it, he bought it at auction, had all the pictures and receipts. I had that truck for 12 years, so I got my value out of it. When I finally decided to sell it, you would think it was toxic! Sold it cheap, super cheap.

In the case of your trailer, I would work on getting a fair offer and walk away. Do you really want the hassle of parting it out? Think about it carefully. You will need the time/tools/aptitude/space to deal with it. Do you really want the headaches? Print out listings of sold trailers on fiberglass rv for sale site, or similar. There will be plenty of comparables.

http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com

The other problem with salvage titles is that even if you "plan" to keep it for a long time, life has a way of interrupting plans. And when that happens, look out. Vehicle has very little value, regardless of how well it was repaired. Really, walking away with a fair offer is the BEST route.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #58

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
I got the impression that it's too late to walk away, that the OP acquired the trailer from the insurance company. It's his problem now.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:30 PM   #59

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Do you think Scamp will offer you any repair parts or $$$ for the axle issue? If so that could help some.
Get the new axle installed & list it on ebay with what you have invested as an opening bid. It may surprise you what it might sell for.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:04 PM   #60

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, Lil Joe
Florida
Odd axle issue

Just looked at the axle pictures.
Scamp did not start using bolt on axle brackets until 2010. The bolted on metal straps on the perch looks a little odd. The failed welds on the perch looked to be ripped out in the middle. If the axle was properly upgraded there should be 1"x1" metal strip welded to the frame and outside of each perch or the metal should be ripped up on the outer edge of the perch.
The axle looks like the original Alko axle. You said the trailer was lifted. Who did the lift? (2007 trailer, Scamp should have the records if they did it) If the axle was raised by a PO that could be a source of the axle separation issue.
Take pictures of your lift blocks on the frame. (outside)
Eddie

Added: If the axle was using factory bolt on brackets it would not be welded to the center of the perch where the metal is torn out of the perch.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote