How to get comps - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #61

Name: Gerald
Trailer: Ulta 5th Wheel
AZ
Thank you for all of the input, we have decided to fix our Scamp 5th wheel and travel on. We do intend to keep it a long time and use the hell out of it, we went through several different travel trailers and a class A before finally finding something that meets all of our needs and desires. Yes we even originally had a Casita which we loved except I am too tall for it and the inconvenience of putting the bed up and down each day, thus the 5th wheel is perfect. We do know that with the salvaged title it will lose value, but once the work is complete everything will be in tip top shape and we won't have to worry about the axle coming off again.

As far as we were told Scamp did the lift kit, however in conversations with Scamp they claim that is not their work so they claim no liability in its failure. Seems odd to us that the previous two owners would have kept all of the original manuals but would have done something that major privately but no way to prove otherwise.

Ultimately our decision came weather to keep it and fix it, part it out or sell it out right to someone as is came down to these factors. First to part it out as was mentioned could take a long time and we are still left with the shell and some items may never sell. Second to sell it out right as is to someone could be the same issue and the longer it sits in our yard the more likely that rodents will get into it and do more damage since there are holes in the exterior. So the decision to fix and use, even though a salvaged title made the most sense to us. Providing that we keep it a while and use it like we plan to then we would have gotten what amounts to a new 5th wheel for far less than what we paid for a used 5th wheel. Yes we realize that the actual value may be significantly less but to us it is what we have been looking for for a long time.

Thanks again for all the advice, once the work is done I will post pics here for all to see.
jvhretiredatcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #62

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Best wishes going forward, Jerry! I'll look for that Scamp 19D on the road soon.

Whom did you find to do the repair? I'm wondering if it's feasible to upgrade to 15" wheels and tires in the rebuild.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #63

AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Best wishes going forward, Jerry! I'll look for that Scamp 19D on the road soon.

Whom did you find to do the repair? I'm wondering if it's feasible to upgrade to 15" wheels and tires in the rebuild.
We can't wait to get it back and take it out again, hopefully a little less eventful trip this time though. We are getting the work done at Carl's RV here in Tucson. We already had 15 inch tires on the 5th wheel and of course will be putting new 15 inch tires on during the repair.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:01 AM   #64

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
RV specific Insurance company?

I have been following this thread since it 1st posted. I am wondering if an RV specific insurance company like Good Sam, would have been a help in providing an estimate?

I am currently starting my search for insurance for my future, on order Scamp.

I have my auto and home thru AARP, but am considering Good Sam based on the thinking that their consumer base are RVers and perhaps the Good Sam insurers wood be more inclined to help in matters like those described in this thread.

Mark
MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #65

AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Evenson View Post
I have been following this thread since it 1st posted. I am wondering if an RV specific insurance company like Good Sam, would have been a help in providing an estimate?

I am currently starting my search for insurance for my future, on order Scamp.

I have my auto and home thru AARP, but am considering Good Sam based on the thinking that their consumer base are RVers and perhaps the Good Sam insurers wood be more inclined to help in matters like those described in this thread.

Mark
We did go through Good Sam, who in turn gave us to National General. I wasn't thrilled with how National General handled some of the claim but overall they did a good job in getting us a fair price. Most of the issues for value came down to the independent adjuster not knowing the value of fiberglass trailers vs. regular trailers. After all he/she called a local RV dealer to get comparable values. In my critique of them I did say that they should do more homework when dealing with a specialty type RV. So I can't say that I wouldn't recommend National General but I will look at other insurance companies next time to compare instead of blindly going with them.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #66

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Good Sam and AARP are simply acting as agents for the insurance companies. They don't insure themselves.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:12 PM   #67

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvhretiredatcs View Post
We can't wait to get it back and take it out again, hopefully a little less eventful trip this time though. We are getting the work done at Carl's RV here in Tucson. We already had 15 inch tires on the 5th wheel and of course will be putting new 15 inch tires on during the repair.
I had just seen this Scamp shell on ebay, it may be a good donor for body panels etc. to repair yours with. It is in CA
Scamp camper trailer | eBay

Opening bid is $100, buy it now is $500.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #68

AZ
All fixed and ready to go

We finally got our repaired Scamp 5th wheel back last week and she looks AMAZING!!! Looking forward to taking her out on our first adventure, oh and keeping the axle on this time. As promised here are the pics after the repair job.
Attached Thumbnails
repaired scamp 1.jpg   Repaired scamp2.jpg  

Repaired scamp3.jpg   Repaired scamp4.jpg  

Repaired scamp5.jpg   Repaired scamp6.jpg  

Repaired scamp8.jpg   Repaired Scamp9.jpg