How to get comps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #1

Name: Gerald
Trailer: Ulta 5th Wheel
AZ
How to get comps

Hey everyone in need of some urgent help please! We recently had the axle fall off of our scamp 5th Wheel while driving which is causing the insurance company to "total" our scamp. They are severely undercutting the value by calling regular RV dealerships to find out the value and coming up with approx. 1/2 of what we paid for it just recently. Does anyone know of a good way to get Real Comps that I can give to the insurance company??? Already in contact with scamp but want as many options for them to consider as possible.

P.S. you may want to invest in the U bolts for the axles on your scamps, apparently they are just welded on and can just fall off with a bump in the road.
jvhretiredatcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Jerry, from up in the White Mountains. Really sorry to hear about your mishap. Best place for comps is www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com. Go to the archives ("sold" tab). They only have asking prices, not actual transaction prices, but that's the best source I know of. They go back a number of years and many have pictures to gauge condition and equipment. As far as I know there is no source for actual transaction prices since almost all molded fiberglass trailers change hands between private parties.

Hope you'll let us know how it goes.

BTW- I'm not sure how you would use U-bolts with a rubber torsion axle. Best you can do is check welds periodically (or bolts, as newer ones are bolted on). I've never heard of one failing in this way before, so I don't think it's common. Wondering if something else was going on, like a bearing failure, to put a sudden stress on the axle...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #3

AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome, Jerry, from up in the White Mountains. Sorry to hear about your mishap. Best place for comps is Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale. Go to the archives. They only have asking prices, not actual transaction prices, but that's the best source I know of. There is no source for actual transaction prices since almost all change hands between private parties.

Hope you'll let us know how it goes.

BTW- I don't think U-bolts work with a torsion axle. Best you can do is check welds periodically (or bolts, as newer ones are bolted on). I've never heard of one failing in this way before, so I don't think it's common. Wondering if something else was going on, like a bearing failure, to put a sudden stress on the axle...
Thanks for the info, I have forwarded several of the links from there to the insurance company, hopefully it works.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Jerry, Read your private message that I just sent.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I tried to have that conversation with my insurance company, explaining the fiberglass value dilemma and and looking for suggestions on how to prove value. I might as well been talking Chinese. I pay a $120 / year so I decided if the time comes, whatever I get is better than nothing. As very few "new" Trilliums were made there's not much to use to argue the case.

A Scamp 19 should be much easier. Can it be repaired? If so, an estimate might be useful.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:58 PM   #6

AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I tried to have that conversation with my insurance company, explaining the fiberglass value dilemma and and looking for suggestions on how to prove value. I might as well been talking Chinese. I pay a $120 / year so I decided if the time comes, whatever I get is better than nothing. As very few "new" Trilliums were made there's not much to use to argue the case.

A Scamp 19 should be much easier. Can it be repaired? If so, an estimate might be useful.
I wish they were speaking Chinese, then I would know someone that could translate for them. Thus far it has not been easier, I did send them 5 comps, of which one was ours that we just recently purchased. Still waiting to hear back from them if they are reconsidering or not.

Not sure if it can be repaired or not but hopefully will find that out next week.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:01 PM   #7

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Do you realize that you're loosing money when buy any insurance? If not - think again. Insurance companies are for profit businesses.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Jerry, I think I would pull up some more sold listings. There have been a few members that have gone down this same road and made out pretty well with the "real world" values. Hopefully a couple of them will chime in with their experiences to help you. Good luck.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #9

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
age of your Scamp

Jerry, so sorry to hear about this axle failure. What year is your Scamp?
MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Jerry, don't rule out buying it back from the insurance company, as you may be able to repair it cheaper than trying to purchase a replacement.
Spec Trac in Mesa Az replace our 13' Scamp's axle, and Cliff's Welding also in Mesa does excellent work.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Jerry, I think I would pull up some more sold listings. There have been a few members that have gone down this same road and made out pretty well with the "real world" values. Hopefully a couple of them will chime in with their experiences to help you. Good luck.
There was a Bigfoot owner in Portland whose recently purchased used Bigfoot was totaled when a runaway motorhome crashed into it while it was parked in his driveway. He had to provide comps, and I believe he eventually received a settlement that got him back what he had into it. I can't recall if he was dealing with his insurer or the other party's, though, but I do know it took some patience and firm resolve.

Of course, not all insurers are created equal. If this is a company you have done business with for some time with multiple policies and a good loss record, you have more leverage than if you are a brand new customer who has only made a premium payment or two.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:36 PM   #12

AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Evenson View Post
Jerry, so sorry to hear about this axle failure. What year is your Scamp?
Thanks, it is a 2007
Old 03-09-2017, 11:40 PM   #13

AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Jerry, don't rule out buying it back from the insurance company, as you may be able to repair it cheaper than trying to purchase a replacement.
Spec Trac in Mesa Az replace our 13' Scamp's axle, and Cliff's Welding also in Mesa does excellent work.
Dave & Paula
Thanks for the input, we are considering it, but first must find out the extent of the damage. We know things got bounced around pretty good and that there is always more damage than what you can usually see. The night of the incident the tow truck operators said that the tow hitch receiver on the back of the 5th wheel probably saved the frame, but of course we don't know that for sure.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:58 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
go to scamp trailer sold and they archive the ads so you should be able to at least show them the asking price of similar trailers. Not sure if it will help but does give some ammunition to hit back with.
The listings are under "fiberglass RV's sold" and you can find the scamp listings. Start printing them out and take about 30-40 showing the asking price. Then tell them you will see them in court!
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:57 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Jerry, any possibilities of getting pictures of the damage? That may give some of the members with "wreck" rebuilding experience a chance to give you an idea of buying it back.....should that come up.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #16

Name: Donald
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Comps

Try FUNTIME CAMPERS in Indianapolis, IN, ask for Matt Braun 800-541-7908. Last summer they sold a 2015 Scamp 16 foot for much much more than the book price, much closer to the new price in 2015. Good luck.
robertsd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: Sold 2017 Casita SD
North Carolina
Cool Lawyer

Jerry IMHO, I would at least talk to a lawyer if not retain one. Sometimes it takes the word lawyer to have the insurance companies come to their senses. I have had salvage prices double when I mentioned I was turning over to my lawyer for a fair settlement.
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Try to spare yourself a trip to court.

Many judges have little expertise in Fiberglass RV's. I'd encourage you to create an appraisal spreadsheet and do your homework now. If you show your insurer you've done your homework, they are more likely to settle out of court. There are free spreadsheets on-line.

First, find an appraisal form for a template. Try this one:
https://www.fanniemae.com/content/guide_form/1004.pdf

Concentrate on page 2 where they list the subject and 3 comparables.
You can streamline the details, but I'd get 5 comparables, yes 5, all sold if possible. The one unsold comp I'd include would be a new model from the manufacturer. If you examine the appraisal form, you'll see it allows you to adjust the value of comparables to equal yours. That is, you'd subtract from the value of the brand new model for wear & tear & condition of yours. This may seem backwards, but it isn't.

Similarly, if you have an A/C but a comparable does not, you'd add the A/C's value to the comparable. Good luck.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:17 AM   #19

Pictures and a full report needs to be sent to the Highway and Trafic Safety people. This is not the firsr Scamp with axle problems on their 5th Wheel.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:28 AM   #20

Report information:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...995.1489231190