How to get in to my camper when the keys are in it - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #1

Name: Patti
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner
Virginia
How to get in to my camper when the keys are in it

So fellow campers, I am sure you all will have an answer for us so we may access our Parkliner tomorrow.
Husband who regularly looses keys managed to loose both sets today. Hoping they are inside the camper.
Do we pick the lock?
Try to crawl in the emergency hatch on the roof?
Any ideas and details about how to do this (can private message if you like).
Thanks,
PJ
PJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I suggest calling a locksmith. They have the skills and tools to open it without doing damage. Just make sure they are reliable.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:25 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I have always hidden a set of keys in trailer compartment, just so this does not happen to me. Using black electrical tape, you can attach keys to a propane hose, battery cable or wiring harness in a non locking compartment where they can be easily recovered. Battery box or refrigerator access hatch is my favorite.

This will not help solve your problem today but might help in the future.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:55 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Getting in

Perhaps you can remove the door by taking out the hinge pins or taking the hinge screws out of the trailer. I don’t know how the parkliners are constructed so this may or may not be possible.
Depends on you comfort level I guess. Good Luck on this.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I’d try the emergency window first then check out the door pins and lastly a locksmith..
maybe find a small flexible child to crawl in but I’m cheap lol
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
The emergency window won't open if it is still latched from the inside.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:43 PM   #7

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Sorry I can't help you with your Parkliner, but if this happens to someone with a Casita, this is what I did when I locked my keys inside. The maintenance guy at the campground and I were able to open the screen on the emergency exit window using a screwdriver (without damaging it). Then he was able to slide the window to one side (it wasn't locked) and release the latch, slide it the other way and get the other latch, and lifted it open. I was able to stand on his electric car and dive through the window onto the bed. Very grateful for his help.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:29 PM   #8

Name: Nigel
Trailer: In the market
Ontario
I’m not familiar with the locks on your trailer. On a lot of trailers there is a letter stamped on the lock. That letter corresponds to a master key that would open the door handle but not the deadbolt. Every trailer service dept will have a set of master keys, I don’t know if they would lend you the appropriate key or not.
Maybe this will help
Nigel
NigelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #9

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
you can always pull the hinge pins off & take the door off. been there, done that! lol!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
you can always pull the hinge pins off & take the door off. been there, done that! lol!
Not sure what kind of hinges they use on those Parkliners, but that technique would not work on my Casita, and probably not on most trailers. Those exposed hinge pins are a relic from the past and aren't found on most newer trailers.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #11

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
There's always the possibility he left the key in the door. I do that frequently. I unlock the trailer and leave the key in the lock. Then I walk away forgetting to lock up.

If not, I would avoid the hassle and call a locksmith.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There has to be a first time....lets hope it is the last time
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:53 AM   #13

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
I hope you are in your camper now!

I am like your husband. I misplace keys. Mainly put them in my pocket, but is it my jeans pocket or a jacket pocket or the pocket in my purse? And I might be checking a lot of pockets if its been a day or two since I had the keys.

So what we do for the camper is to have a lot of keys made by a locksmith. It's not too expensive, about $2 a key. There is a key on each set of car keys. Two sets of camper keys that go in the trailer when we are camping, so I don't lose the car keys while running around the campground. A set to stay in the car while we are camping. A set to leave in the house, and the original keys that are put away so I don't put them somewhere strange. Overkill for most, but it works for us because we have spent too many hours looking for keys.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:11 PM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Maybe if you are the type of person who looses keys you should consider installing a keypad lock that has buttons with numbers on it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:31 AM   #15

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in Michigan View Post
So what we do for the camper is to have a lot of keys made by a locksmith. It's not too expensive, about $2 a key. There is a key on each set of car keys. Two sets of camper keys that go in the trailer when we are camping, so I don't lose the car keys while running around the campground. A set to stay in the car while we are camping. A set to leave in the house, and the original keys that are put away so I don't put them somewhere strange. Overkill for most, but it works for us because we have spent too many hours looking for keys.
  • Two key sets on tethers around our neck. I can't use Terry's and Terry can't use mine.

• Two spare sets in the pickup, one well hidden

• One set on a hook in the LP gas compartment

• One set at home

We've needed the easy to get at spare set in the pickup numerous times.

The one in the LP tank compartment is used when we go to the camper with our car and need to get in, but don't want to go back home just to get a key.

A long time ago we saw a camper so frustrated that both sets were locked in the camper on a Sunday. They broke one of their windows to get at the keys. Been keeping multiple sets ever since.

Enjoy,
Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #16

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Maybe if you are the type of person who looses keys you should consider installing a keypad lock that has buttons with numbers on it.
Unfortunately, those electronic keypads have been known to fail.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:42 AM   #17

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Unfortunately, those electronic keypads have been known to fail.

Enjoy,

Perry
there are mechanical keypads as well, they may or may not last.
I would hide a key somewhere on the trailer, and have a locksmith give you the key code, any locksmith could cut a replacement with that information.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:39 AM   #18

Name: William
Trailer: Scamp
Lakeville, CT
The lock on my Scamp ('88) is about as easy to pick as a cheap file cabinet, which is to say it does not require much experience. Just a bobby pin to tickle the key pins and something to turn the cylinder.

https://www.art-of-lockpicking.com/h...-a-lock-guide/
biw314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #19

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
Very often another trailer key will fit your lock. There seem to be only about a dozen different keys for most of the less expensive locks.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #20

Name: Bush
Trailer: Vagabond
Nevada
With the right tools like a drill, grinder, pliers and a screwdriver, you can tear open the existing lock. They are cheaper and easier than replacing a window but you will not be able to lock the trailer until you replace the lock. I also suggest installing a standard house type deadbolt which is much harder to break into in the future for both a thief and yourself...
BushWacker is offline   Reply With Quote