How to get in to my camper when the keys are in it - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #21

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Parkliner
Ohio
What year is your Parkliner? We have a 2016. This might work with doors on newer models too.

Try to slide open either the kitchen window or the small window in the door with the palm of your hand. If you are lucky one of them will be unlocked and you can then slide open the screen, reach in and unlock the door.

If not, then call a locksmith. Parkliner uses residential exterior door handles/locks and a locksmith should be able to open it.
DavenBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #22

Name: Patti
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner
Virginia
Red face We found the keys!

Thank you for all of the great suggestions. We found the keys where I thought they were in his jacket pocket. Why he could not find them is one of the great mysteries of the material world. I would say it's a guy thing, but know that will start a fire storm and is not PC. Ha ha!
After the key incident, husband ran over a curb and bent the jack and now we are working on that issue. Never a dull moment.
Anyway think we will get and extra set and tape them into the box where the ac/dc/propane access is. A fail safe method hopefully.
PJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:41 PM   #23

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
I always wear the 2 camper keys and the hitch lock key on a ribbon around my neck. As I am the one to unlock the hitch and get stuff out of the camper as we set up, or get to the potty or make lunch when we are on the road, they are always handy. The only time I take them off my neck is when we lock up for the night.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:47 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I make sure that i have all my keys on a carabiner on a belt loop. Another carabiner has another set of keys and I give that to my wife.
She leaves it in the trailer, along with her cell phone.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:26 PM   #25

Name: MJ
Trailer: Park Liner
GA
Although I keep my PL door unlocked when I am "at home" I must have bumped the handle just right to tip the locking mechanism on it enough that when I stepped outside and closed the door behind me I heard the dreaded CLICK. Wondering what I should do I remembered that my camper keys were in a tray by the kitchen window inside and the window happened to be open because of hot weather. I just reached in and grabbed the "house" key and opened the door. After that incident I have created back-up key resources.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ47 View Post
Thank you for all of the great suggestions. We found the keys where I thought they were in his jacket pocket. Why he could not find them is one of the great mysteries of the material world. I would say it's a guy thing, but know that will start a fire storm and is not PC. Ha ha!
After the key incident, husband ran over a curb and bent the jack and now we are working on that issue. Never a dull moment.
Anyway think we will get and extra set and tape them into the box where the ac/dc/propane access is. A fail safe method hopefully.
. "one of the great mysteries of the material world".

Finding keys in a pocket is pretty funny, and hits pretty close to home for me. But the other day, after looking all over the house, while Liye was waiting in the car, I found them in my hand! Yikes! She didn't know if that was funny, or scary.

I hate finding things in the last place I look too. So annoying! Why not the first place I look? So now, to avoid that, I keep looking for a while after I've found the item, just so it wasn't in the last place.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #27

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Haven't given this much thought in the past, but it has me wondering if the road services like GS and AAA can unlock a trailer? Or will it actually take a locksmith to open it?
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:49 PM   #28

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Someone got into my trailer the other night by bashing the door knob. I don't have one of the flat style inset trailer locks. It was not a great quality knob to begin with.

Fortunately they seem to have been on foot and could not carry much. They only took a couple of small power tools which were more than 10 years old. They forgot to get the battery chargers and the batteries on those tools don't hold a charge for long. There is a new hobo camp by the railroad tracks just a few blocks away. I guess someone needed cigarette money and took something for a quick cash sale. Or they needed to put together some pallets for their campsite. WMaybe I will find those tools tossed out near their campsite. But I will wait awhile to look. It won't be much longer before the city or the railroad makes them move out.

At least they did not do any actual damage to the trailer, no broken windows, the door itself was not damaged. My financial loss was very minimal and I was about to buy a new door knob anyway.

So bashing a door knob is one way to get inside a trailer if you lock yourself out! Just be sure you have a cheap door knob though to make the job easier so that the door and door frame does not get damaged
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:03 PM   #29

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
[QUOTE=dmad1;763038]Haven't given this much thought in the past, but it has me wondering if the road services like GS and AAA can unlock a trailer? Or will it

In the case of a lockout they don't send a tow truck, they send a mobile locksmith service.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:24 AM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How to get in to my camper when the keys are in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Haven't given this much thought in the past, but it has me wondering if the road services like GS and AAA can unlock a trailer? Or will it...
Don’t know, but if you keep a spare camper key in the tow vehicle, I know for sure emergency road service will unlock the tow vehicle.

The problem with road service is time. Campgrounds are often far from services. We were camping with friends at a lake 3 miles down a graded dirt road with no cell service. Though town was only an hour away, it took over 3 hours to get a truck to the site.

In case of a lockout, not much fun to be caught outside in dark, cold, or rain for hours waiting. Best plan is to think through how you can be ready to deal with a lockout situation on your own in the field. To cover yourself fully, assume you are locked out of both trailer and tow vehicle. Which one is easier to enter? Will you need tools or would a hide-a-key make more sense? Once you get into one, is there a key for the other? Think redundancy.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote