How to get this thing legal again? - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #1

Name: Em
Trailer: In the market
Washington, D.C.
Exclamation How to get this thing legal again?

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/rvs/d...068642684.html

I am really interested in this set up because it's in my price range, but I'm concerned about the axel situation, and I definitely want to take off that front storage.

What is the solution for the axel and how much should I anticipate that costing? Can an average shop do that? I don't even know where to look on that one.

Also missing title, what process would I have to go through?

Sorry I'm a newb, but this looks lie a potentially good deal

wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:14 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Make it legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering View Post

I am really interested in this set up because it's in my price range, but I'm concerned about the axel situation, and I definitely want to take off that front storage.

l
I would run not walk from that price/project. But if you want it, the first step is to inspect all of the frame work and floor. If they are ok the seller needs to get a valid title to prove that it his to sell. Next, I would put a stock axle back under it. Many trailer shops can do that.

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:13 PM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering View Post

What is the solution for the axel and how much should I anticipate that costing? Can an average shop do that? I don't even know where to look on that one.

Sorry I'm a newb, but this looks lie a potentially good deal
Axle seems to be the least of the problems.
Less than $1000 will get a new one installed.
But - that paintwork looks awful.
Did it get painted from a rattle-can?

Refinishing that would be a deal-breaker for me.

Jim
Old 02-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #4

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, Lil Joe
Florida
In Va. two title options. Declare it an abandoned trailer if on your property for 3 days. Trailer needs to have a 17 digit VIN for this process. For this trailer the homemade title option is most fitting since it looks homemade. Go to DMV and ask for a homemade (HM) VIN tag. Install HM VIN tag per DMV paperwork. Have a policeman either state, local or deputy to verify HM VIN tag installation per paperwork and sign paperwork. Return signed paperwork to DMV, pay fees, and the will provide HM title and tags.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:34 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
My son built a homemade travel trailer ( It is now sitting up on blocks on my property buried in snow ) He tried to get a title and license for the trailer but the state deemed that it did not meet the standards and thusly was not road worthy
I would not assume that getting a title / license is as easy as filling out a couple of forms and handing over a check
Your state may be different but some states make a physical inspection before granting a license !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:06 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: R-Vision & In the market
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My son built a homemade travel trailer ( It is now sitting up on blocks on my property buried in snow ) He tried to get a title and license for the trailer but the state deemed that it did not meet the standards and thusly was not road worthy
I would not assume that getting a title / license is as easy as filling out a couple of forms and handing over a check
Your state may be different but some states make a physical inspection before granting a license !!
I made a trailer years age to haul my tools around and no one came to inspect it. It was a long time ago though.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:38 PM   #7

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Trailer vs RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I made a trailer years age to haul my tools around and no one came to inspect it. It was a long time ago though.
It depends on the state but in Wisconsin a trailer is under one law an a hard sided RV another. Hard sided RVs need registration small trailers do not.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:27 AM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
From the quality of the photos, I can't tell if the chassis a modified stock one or something the builder conjured up from something else. I strongly suspect the latter. That means adapting a stock axle or returning the trailer to a normal length may be problematic. That probably means a new chassis. Anything can be done however if you are paying someone else to to do it, the low initial price will be dwarfed by these expenditures.

Now if you are interested in owning a monster trailer, this might just be the one for you. The outlandish attitude doesn't necessarily make it unroadworthy if the underlying work is satisfactory. It depends on what the laws allow in the state that you are in.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:23 PM   #9

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I am currently camped at Quartzsie next to a South Carolina Casita that is titled and I'm looking at its licences plate.

Walt
Old 02-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maybe you could pick up the frame from that R-Pod that's being parted out and move the shell to a rational frame. That's what was apparently done with my Campsyer at some point. Has it's pros and cons, but it does work.

Dave Fish is online now   Reply With Quote