How to glue ensolite back on - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Can any members here give me some advice on how to re-stick the ensolite in my Trillium, after we had to peel it back to find several leaks .

thanks in advance.

Barry
Barry Konkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
gorilla glue worked for me in small areas

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
We pulled a whole bunch back when we repaired our front window. I used Contact Cement, brushed it on both surfaces, then pulled it tight to the window frame where it needed to end, then slowly pressed the rest down, since it needs to stretch to fit, especially in the corners, you need a glue that will stick on contact so you don't have to hold it for hours to dry.
Attached Thumbnails
FronWindow.JPG  
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I used construction adhesive.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
You might try either the 3-M brand or Lok-Tite brand spray-on aerosol adhesive sprays. You can find them at any of the big box stores and probably at most automotive parts houses too. They work really good, have excellent holding power, and are easily applied.
Greg
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
You might try either the 3-M brand or Lok-Tite brand spray-on aerosol adhesive sprays. You can find them at any of the big box stores and probably at most automotive parts houses too. They work really good, have excellent holding power, and are easily applied.
Greg
Greg,

Which one did you have good luck with? I'm pretty sure I read in 3M's documentation for the "Spray 77" that it's not to be used for automotive headliners (presumably the heat will cause issues), but I can't bring to mind the number of the spray they did recommend. One of the higher numbered ones, IIRC, but I don't want to say unless I'm sure I've got the right one.

Rachel
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Here's my method.

Get PL polyurethane premium construction adhesive. Also get a hot-melt glue gun and sufficient stash of glue sticks.

Spread construction adhesive on either surface, ensolite or fiberglass. But leave some spots without glue. Then fire up your hot-melt glue gun and one at a time put a small dollop on a bare spot and quickly push the ensolite into position until the hot glue cools. Continue with this sequence until it is all up.

The reason for the hot melt glue is to hold the ensolite in place until the construction adhesive sets up.

Good luck.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
You have to clean all the loose stuff off first. Vacuuming helped. Super 77 works on most areas, for those that didn't PL premium with a notched trowel did.
Using the memory foam most of us have to apply pressure to the two mating surfaces over night or longer helps on some of the curved areas especially if your ensolite has been loose for some time. It seems to shrink a bit if off for extended lengths of time and has to be stretched back before regluing.

I've actually left foam and braces up for a couple of spots on the tight ceiling curves that just did not want to hold while storing for this winter in hopes they might just stay in place following extended pressure on the mating surfaces.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #9

Perhaps helpful: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=28588
Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
gorilla glue worked for me in small areas

Joe
I used Gorilla Snot as well on mine. Worked great.
Put 1x2's and clamped them at areas around the windows when replacing them overnite to make sure it setup.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #11

Thanks everyone!

I have most of a litre of lepage green contact cement from a dining table project this summer - we'll give it a try tonight.

Barry
Barry Konkin is offline   Reply With Quote