How to Jack Up Campster? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2022, 02:08 PM   #1

Name: Cooper
Trailer: Trails West
Washington
How to Jack Up Campster?

Hello! I have a 1971 Trails West Campster and I was hoping some members here could give me advice on jack placement for removing tires. I have to remove a tire briefly to modify the trailer body.

I have 2 jack stands and a bottle jack. I have included an image of my specific bottle jack.

I understand I should place the jack under the frame and not axel.

Could someone clarify where on my frame I should place my jack. I have included pictures and I have circled 2 locations I was thinking may be appropriate. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
FCC90382-2BD8-46A5-BD81-144F13C630CD.jpg   5CD613C4-E6E8-4F8D-AC66-5A1A4510F145.jpg  

65EE8A3E-EAE3-4B56-BAEE-750400AE5BDB.jpeg   FF3A8BE4-1023-40EC-A6DD-26E15E9E8B62.jpg  

Cooper B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:54 PM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Cooper, the part circled in red looks heavier to me, and it looks like it is directly connected to the body of your Campster. Of the two positions, I like it better than the one you circled in green. I'm glad you have jack stands. I'm sure you plan on blocking the opposite wheel so it won't roll. Your suspension and frame is different from my Hunter. I wish I could be of more help.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:06 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
That l-shaped piece at the bottom of the red circle looks to be very solid steel attached directly to the suspension Mount or pivot bracket whatever. If it is what I think it is it's probably a good spot for the jack, but it's probably too close to the wheel for a jack stand, so you probably want to put the stands under the frame where those vertical posts are welded in. I would only ever Jack my trailer if it was hitched to a solid truck. Then the jack stand goes behind the axle and everything's very very stable
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:11 AM   #4

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I would only ever Jack my trailer if it was hitched to a solid truck.
I never thought of that. I'm going to do that from now on.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:23 PM   #5

Name: Cooper
Trailer: Trails West
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
That l-shaped piece at the bottom of the red circle looks to be very solid steel attached directly to the suspension Mount or pivot bracket whatever. If it is what I think it is it's probably a good spot for the jack, but it's probably too close to the wheel for a jack stand, so you probably want to put the stands under the frame where those vertical posts are welded in. I would only ever Jack my trailer if it was hitched to a solid truck. Then the jack stand goes behind the axle and everything's very very stable
Thank you, I’m going to go with the bottom of the red circle location. Jack stands will go under the welded posts, and wheels will be chalked while the trailer is hooked to my truck!
Cooper B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:37 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
If the trailer is hitched, chocks are unneeded.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campster