How to Light Trailer Stove in Damp/Cold - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
How to Light Trailer Stove in Damp/Cold

We have a frequent problem in lighting our Scamp Suburban Stovetop when damp or cold. When the trailer interior is humid/damp our matchsticks do not light well even though we keep the matchbox dry in a sealed ZipLoc bag. The matchsticks that I "waterproofed" with nail polish do not fare much better. Our butane barbecue lighter stick does not function when it is cool or cold. Our flint and steel lighter does not get close enough to the propane to light the first time and often results in a little flare-up when it does.

Does anyone else have this problem and how do you solve it?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Barbeque lighters work well for us any time any place. If the barbque lighter doesn't work well get another brand. Hold the end with the fuel in your hand to warm it up.
Turn on the furnace to warm the inside of the trailer, open the ceiling vent to let out the moist air.

Propane levels in the tank too low or too high can cause it difficult to light the stove. Again the answer here is to run the furnace a bit.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I also use BBQ lighters, but have recently bought battery operated spark lighters on eBay that work well and don't depend on having fuel (other than batteries). They spark the same way as home stove lighters and BBQ lighters. Work well on the stove, but not as well on the refrigerator I have to manually light.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:16 PM   #4

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
I use a BBQ lighter with the fuel used up! The piezo sparker still works and lights the propane stove just fine.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #5

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
I find that I need a match/lighter the first time after the gas is turned on. After that a welding sparker works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:28 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm with Bob.

Years ago I installed a battery powered igniter made for BBQ grills that I got at Walmart for just under $20 and it works every time and I can't remember when I changed the AA battery last.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:37 AM   #7

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
We have a wonderful, long handled flint lighter. Not sure they make them anymore. Works every time, unless we need new flint.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:56 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You can get these at Walmarts etc, but I use what they call a "torch flame" butane lighter. It's also refillable. The difference is, the torch flame is a little more forceful flame and will not blow out. I found this ESPECIALLY useful when lighting the water heater from the outside.

I just reread your post. REGARDLESS... which lighter you use, if you could keep it in the TV, then it will stay warm until you can set up camp. I have a small micro torch that stays in my shop and I too have trouble with it lighting when it's cold. I think it's the butane and once it's warm, it's not an issue. Just a suggestion.

My wife HATED the propane stove so I removed it and now use a single electric burner hotplate from Fred's.... $10. The condensation from the gas stove in our 13' Scamp was horrible! But no more.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #9

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I use my mapp gas soldering torch to light every thing from stoves to camp fires. There's nothing better!

Old 09-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #10

Name: Steve in NY
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
I use my mapp gas soldering torch to light every thing from stoves to camp fires. There's nothing better!

That is most manly. I like that idea a lot.

Take Care,
Steve
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light