How to plug a propane line? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #1

Name: Thierry
Trailer: Trillium '76
BC
How to plug a propane line?

Hey guys,

I removed the fridge in my trillium (it was broken) and I won't put another fridge in.
So I need to plug the propane line.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NLunYUufyjuhoijA7

I fear gas more than anything else in the trailer. Is there any plugs I can screw on? would that seal it?

Thanks!
thimith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Simple brass cap available at real hardware stores or big box home improvement stores. Take that picture with you on a phone and you should be all set.

Looks about like this. https://www.lowes.com/pd/BrassCraft-...tting/50380804 But some are flat topped also like this one https://www.midlandhardware.com/1662...iABEgLrIvD_BwE
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
You could take that 4 way fitting out and replace it with a "T" fitting
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #4

Michigan
When tightening the cap or other fittings make sure to use a second wrench to hold the junction being screwed onto.

To test seal after applying cap (or any propane fitting) use dish soap and water to paint the joint with the propane tank on or compressed air at low pressure hooked up. The soapy water will blow bubbles if there is a leak at that joint.

If you haven't yet tested all your fittings for leaks with soapy water then you should plan on doing so. Just work your way back from propane tank and mop some very soapy water on each joint.

If you are really uncomfortable with propane put your cap on that open line and take it into a place to have it tested. Let them tighten the cap. Will make them feel like they accomplished something for you.

Places that sell propane to houses for heating. They typically also sell propane appliances and work on the lines. Have them test it. Camper repair places will also test but I'm betting the local propane supplier will be less expensive. Any heating and cooling shop or plumbing shop that does gas lines would be another source of a professional leak testing. Watch them do it once and you will have the process down to do it yourself from then on.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #5

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
You could take that 4 way fitting out and replace it with a "T" fitting
There is some advantage to that in that it removes one possible connection (the cap) as a point to potentially leak. The branch not there can't leak right?

The downside would be if someone later wanted to add a propane fridge the attachment point is gone, remove and replace of junction is a little bit more work than capping an extra line connector.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #6

Name: Thierry
Trailer: Trillium '76
BC
Thank you all. For some reason, I can't put my hands on any threaded caps,. The T fitting sound even safer!

thanks RogerDat for the soap trick! I'll definitely check for leaks
thimith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 87 Scamp 13 ft
It looks like all that you would need is a 3/8 flair cap.
JOE DRISSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:48 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE DRISSEL View Post
It looks like all that you would need is a 3/8 flair cap.
Agreed.

I think that trying to replace a 4 way with a three way is way more difficult and likely to result in a leaking connection or damaged pipe then just adding one CAP. It can be hard to get two wrenches on the flair fittings in a small camper, and trying to do that multiple times instead of once is that much harder. YMMV and your situation might be different, but I just used a plug / cap when I removed my water heater.

Here is the same cap when it was on the end of a unused propane line (with a flair union) that was in my camper when I bought it.
Attached Thumbnails
FuranceLine-CappedOff.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:58 PM   #9

Name: Allen
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Minnesota
I would just cap it. Seems like once you start taking things apart and disturb things, that’s when leaks, etc. occur. Soap everything up when done to check for leaks. Also someone else may want to put a fridge back in the future.
Alben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane