how to put down jacks in the back of Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2008, 06:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
Can someone please tell me how to put the jacks down in the back of my Scamp?
I thought I had this figured out. I have done it once. You push the jack in toward the Scamp and pull the jack down. There must be more to it because I have tried and tried.
Thanks for any help on this.
Doris
Doris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
If they are swing down jacks it should be pull out away from the mount and then rotate down. then pull down the extension. reverse order to put them back up.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
Hi. Thanks for the help. I have done the first step by pushing the jack in toward the trailer but I can't pull the jack down. I must be missing somethin. This is a brand new 2008 Scamp so the jack should be working fine.
Doris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
Hi Doris,
The "Choosing a Camp Site" video on the Scamp web page show it being done.
Scamp videos
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
In a damp climate they have a tendency to rust quite rapidly and get stiff. I have to remove mine from the bumper, clean and greased them within a couple months of new. Once done they work quite well. It's been over two years and they're still very workable.

To deploy them pull towards the center of the trailer until they release. Once in the down position push down on the lever that towards the outside of the trailer. The foot should drop to the ground.

I don't like the video because I see no need to jack the trailer with them. It looks to me like a good way to tweak the frame.

I think the best way to set up and level the trailer is as follows;

First level the trailer side to side with either blocks under the wheels or using a BAL leveler, (BAL leveler my preference).
If you're not using a BAL leveler then make sure you chock the wheels, then unhitch.
Once unhitched lower the front the trailer with the tongue jack to somewhere between 1/2 bubble and 1 bubble off level with tongue low. (NOTE: Will need some kind of level for this process)
Deploy the rear stabilizers with the feet against the ground or blocks.
Raise the tongue with tongue jack to level.

All done, no fussing with jacking bar on the stabilizers, no tweaking of the frame.

Byron

Tags
scamp