I successfully used rubber cement remover. It didn't damage the ensolite. That stuff is indestructable - if you don't poke a hole through it. The rubber cement was hard as rock so it took a few applications. I even put it on a cotton swab and soaked it for the thicker pieces. It helped first that I scraped off as much as I could - even chipped it off with a fingernail.
I also had a half-dozen layers of different types of silicone sealer (a pox and a plague on the guy that put it there in the first place). That stuff, if it doesn't just peel off, is a *^*&$%^ to remove. For the stuff that didn't peel off when water got underneath it, I ended up using silicone sealer remover. It goes on like bad jello and solftens the silicone so that you can scrape off a layer. Then you have to put more on to remove the next layer......until you finally get to the last bit. It took me WEEKS, but in the end, the ensolite looks like...ENSOLITE!
Because I had layers of granite paint
over the silicone and glue (and wallpaper, and other gunk), I had to use a variety of cleaners. I had nothing to lose. In the end I used just about every solvent known to modern man, except battery
acid and oven cleaner. Some of them softened the ensolite a little bit, so I had to be careful when scrubbing so I wouldn't stretch and tear it. The ensolite hung in there. I have a new respect for the stuff.
I found that it hekped to stretch it a bit to get some of the gunk out of the grooves. And, again, vacuuming and scraping took off a lot of stuff that would have had to be really worked at.
BEFORE AND AFTER PIX: