how to remove hydro flame furnace vent cover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 07:43 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '84 Bigfoot b17
British Columbia
how to remove hydro flame furnace vent cover

Hi everyone I am making good progress looking, cleaning up and re caulking almost all the holes in our 84 Bigfoot. I think the furnace vent cover is leaking. The material being the metal to fibreglass is cracked and dry, looks like old butyl tape.

I have the screws our but the cover will not budge. I don't want to bend the metal ...is there a trick?
Tyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #2

British Columbia
Pic added

Pic added below
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #3

British Columbia
Anyone? Is there some sort of pressure fit between the exhaust tube and the sheet metal cover? The manual does not show this detail. Sorry if this is a rediculous question. Just pop it off / get tough with it. Last thing I need is to try and source parts for a mistake made.
Cheers
Old 05-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
No idea John. If you've cut through the butyl and removed the screws, you might try to twist it to break the heat rust/corrosion built up on the pipe loose. Only a guess on my part, soooo, you make the decision .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:40 AM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You might try working a thin, flexible putty knife between the vent and the fiberglass going all the way around it to try and severe the grip of the old putty. I have had to use that technique several times when changing out some of the other fittings such as the city water filler fittings. compartment door trim rings and such.

But can you also see from the inside to tell if there is still some duct work clamped to the inside of the vent unit? I remember it being a bit of a struggle to get mine out too but that was 3 years or so ago and did not make it into secure long term storage in my memory bank.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:38 AM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992 / Chevrolet S10 4.3L.
I remove the heater in my bigfoot, the exhaust pipe (in center ) enter un bigger ( telescopik ) pipe, and a lot of rust blocked to remove. Twist slowly ad a bit on w40 and twist again , repeat ,it will eventually come out
Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 17' Bigfoot
British Columbia
furnace vent '86 Bigfoot

I just took my trailer down a rough logging road at 30K and the vent popped right out. Screws and all. It was too easy.

I am glad I stopped when I did because it was sticking 2" out the side of the trailer. I have had to use long screws to get through the foam insulation and into the hardboard on the other side of the wall. I am thinking I may change the screws to 2" bolts with washers and locks on the inside.

I noticed when the I pulled the chimney all the way out, I could quite clearly see the inside of the trailer albeit on the backside of the cabinet. There must be some way to get to it from inside the trailer. Maybe you could bang on the chimney to loosen any rust. I didn't measure the chimney but it must be 10" long. There is a sheet metal chimney housing with the actual 1" chimney pipe inside. The only thing you can access is the housing until you have the vent removed, unless you can pull the furnace itself inside the unit to expose the chimney but then you're dealing with propane lines and wires.

I hope this helps
Stephe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace