How to remove my furnace? - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #1

Name: Corey
Trailer: Casita
WA
How to remove my furnace?

I'm tearing out the inside of my 92 Casita Spirit Standard and can't quite figure out how to get the furnace out.

It's located below the sink

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Furnace front.jpeg Views: 8 Size: 143.6 KB ID: 135948" style="margin: 2px" /> Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Furnace inside.jpg Views: 12 Size: 235.1 KB ID: 135955" style="margin: 2px" />

The diagram shows screws in the bottom of the front edge of the unit and at the exhaust vent

Name:	Furnace diagram.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	135950

I opened up the front and there are no screws on the bottom edge, so I went around to the vent on the outside and it isn't attached with screws.

Name:	Furnace vent.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	135951

Are these rivets that I need to drill out?

Thanks!
HeavyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #2

WA
Sorry for the messed up picture formatting...not sure what happened.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:49 PM   #3

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, Lil Joe
Florida
Disconnect your four wires and gas line. There is usually a couple of screws near the front holding the furnace in place. Check for other hidden screws. The wall exhaust piece and furnace have two tubes that slide into each other and they should slide apart and that supports the rear of the furnace. Some times the tubes get stuck, wiggle or tap them if you can. The four pop rivets hold the exhaust piece to the trailer. You may be able to wiggle the exhaust port to separate the tubes if you remove the rivets as a last resort.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:17 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita SD 17
Loon Lake Wa. and Boulder City, Nv.
Registry
You do not need to drill out the outside rivets. They hold that plate on and the furnace has tubes that insert into it. Why are you removing your furnace?
Old 07-10-2020, 08:16 PM   #5

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
This guy has a good video that shows what to do.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:39 AM   #6

WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Disconnect your four wires and gas line. There is usually a couple of screws near the front holding the furnace in place. Check for other hidden screws. The wall exhaust piece and furnace have two tubes that slide into each other and they should slide apart and that supports the rear of the furnace. Some times the tubes get stuck, wiggle or tap them if you can. The four pop rivets hold the exhaust piece to the trailer. You may be able to wiggle the exhaust port to separate the tubes if you remove the rivets as a last resort.
Eddie
Thanks Eddie,

The two screws in the front (bottom edge) aren't there. I poked around a lot with a flashlight and couldn't find any hidden screws. I'll pull the sink this afternoon and check for other screws from the top. If that doesn't work then I'll try some gentle taps on the tubes. I yanked on the furnace pretty hard though, so if the tubes are stuck together they're really stuck tight.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:41 AM   #7

WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
You do not need to drill out the outside rivets. They hold that plate on and the furnace has tubes that insert into it. Why are you removing your furnace?
Thanks Steve,

Glad to know I don't need to remove the exterior rivets. I was dreading that.

I'm in the process of doing an interior refresh/upgrade and need to pull the kitchenette in order to do the floor.

I'm planning to start a build thread soon.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:07 PM   #8

WA
After a while of poking around I figured out what was going on. Below the furnace exhaust there were two bolts under the snap caps

Name:	Exhaust bolts.jpg
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	136335

I removed these and found that they were drilled into the side of the block of wood supporting the back of the furnace

Name:	Furnace top.jpg
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	136337

Once removed I was able to slide the furnace out a bit.

Name:	Furnace side.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	136336

You can see that the block of wood is coming out as well, which explains why I was having problems. The back of the furnace was connected to the block of wood which was connected to the side of the trailer.

Name:	Furnace back screws.jpg
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	136338

On to the next issue!
Old 07-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Glad you figured it out. For archive purposes I will post what I did after removing the heater from my Scamp. As I was going back with a Propex in a different location I needed to block off the vent holes in the side of the camper. I drilled out the rivets holding the heater plate to the trailer and removed it cleaning off old caulk. Then I cut a piece of copper that just fit inside/behind the vent cover. Putting a little caulk on the top and sides I re-riveted the cover to the side of the Scamp. Since the copper was already tarnished and brown it looks just like the dark holes in the vent.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace