how to remove the fiberglass hinged window guard on Trillium or other eggs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
how to remove the fiberglass hinged window guard on Trillium or other eggs

If any of you have a window guard whose brackets are riveted and hinged on top, I need advice. I would like to remove it since it was reinforced on the back with a cheap piece of 1//4 in. plywood. 9 years later it has rotted out and serves no purpose. I am trying to remove it with a chisel but it's pretty tedious. Is there a way to kick that 3 ft. long pin that runs through the hinges so that I can remove the guard? If not, any suggestions on reinforcing the back of the window guard with something other than plywood.

Thanks for any help with this...

Lloyd
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:05 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Maybe ask the factory. I think they are still in operation.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #3

I will do that....looks a bit hard to get out...thank you David
Old 08-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd cicetti View Post
If any of you have a window guard whose brackets are riveted and hinged on top, I need advice. I would like to remove it since it was reinforced on the back with a cheap piece of 1//4 in. plywood. 9 years later it has rotted out and serves no purpose. I am trying to remove it with a chisel but it's pretty tedious. Is there a way to kick that 3 ft. long pin that runs through the hinges so that I can remove the guard? If not, any suggestions on reinforcing the back of the window guard with something other than plywood.

Thanks for any help with this...

Lloyd
I don't have that model to compare but I can give you an answer based on knowledge based on how such things are done. To hold in such pins there will be one of two ways it was done. There might be a very small set screw in a fixed knuckle of the hinge that is putting pressure on the pin. If so then removing the set screw(s) will let the pin be driven out of the hinge.

The other method of securing the pins is they do an upset on the end of the hinge pin, meaning they hammer on it to make the tip wider at both ends so that it won't slide out. A bit of drilling or grinding can remove that upset wide spot at one end of the pin so that you can then drive the pin out of the hinge. You only need to drive it far enough to grip onto the pin with pliers so you can pull it out. A steel nail small enough in diameter to fit into the knuckle will suffice for a drive pin if you don't own a set of drive pins.

For either situation I would suggest before you start work to put some spray lubricant on the hinge so that the pin is easier to slide out. Be sure you keep the hinge knuckles supported in alignment to each other on the ends to keep it prevent binding at the knuckle joints which would make it more difficult to remove the pin. Small steel spring clamps will work for that. Those are easy to find at hardware stores.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #5

KC, great...I will look for the set screw and if I don't find one, I will try to wear down the ends of the pin to remove it. I will reply to this thread if it works to let you know...Lloyd

Tags
trillium