How to secure appliances in place for transit? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #1

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1300 Boler -The Pine Cone
Ontario
Registry
How to secure appliances in place for transit?

Does anyone have a good idea or fastening system for a microwave, small cooler, toaster oven/coffee pot? I'm racking my brain on developing a lock system for the boler counter top. FYI: there is no sink or stove (they are removed). Just a nice pine countertop. I was thinking about a wooden quick lock bracket system that divides and locks each appliance and can be easily removed after transit. Does anyone else have a similar system in place that works for you? Pics would be great!
lespnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Our microwave fits in a cupboard, we put a tension rod in front of it for travel. We don't use many other small appliances when camping. What we do bring are smaller versions so we put them in a cupboard or cabinet, however we have a small kitchen area with stove and sink and we need all the counter space we can get!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Put everything on the floor, in plastic containers. Another option, since your countertop is pine is screw the item down, not sure I'd want to do this depending on the pine condition but it is an option. Closets with latches on the door is a good place to store items. If fragile, wrap it in a towel and stow it on your bed.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Put everything on the floor, in plastic containers. Another option, since your countertop is pine is screw the item down, not sure I'd want to do this depending on the pine condition but it is an option. Closets with latches on the door is a good place to store items. If fragile, wrap it in a towel and stow it on your bed.
I agree with cpaharley2008. Find a container that will allow you to pack your appliances and put it on the floor.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The only loose items we have are the TV and the Computers. We put them on the computers on the front couch in the corner near the bathroom and cover them with the bed's pillow.

With the TV we put it on the ditte face down with a pillow on it as well. We leave it connected to the cable.

We do not carry a microwave, but if we did I would attach it to a fixed surface.

Ours came with one and until we got home we had it on the floor under the dinette and it never moved an inch. If it's a concern you could screw a block to the wood floor under the dinette so it couldn't move.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I used these to keep the microwave from moving around inside a cabinet during transit. It would work on a counter, as long as you put the microwave where you wanted it to stay. It is removable but a portion stays fixed to the counter until you remove those parts permanently: Thumb Lock White TV Grips Also come in black.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #7

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1300 Boler -The Pine Cone
Ontario
Registry
These are all excellent suggestions! Thank you so much everyone. Happy Camping.
lespnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
When I re-designed our Scamp 5er's interior layout, I built-in the microwave and added features that help us keep things stowed and secure when we're in transit.

Our coffee pot, for example, is secured by a velcro strap that is attached to the counter backsplash. Sharp knives are stored in a rack inside a cabinet door, their sharp side facing toward the hinge. Pots, pans, and the toaster have little plywood cubby holes they get tucked into at the back of the cabinet with the knives, held in by bungee cord.

The point is to think about what stuff you have and what space you have to store it.
Attached Thumbnails
Coffee Maker Strap 480x640.JPG   Coffe Maker Strapped In 480x640.JPG  

09Feb17MicrowaveInstall.jpg   08Jul05CabinetDoorsPotPanInside.JPG  

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Our microwave (small sharp cube) rides on the floor of the camper up close to the scamp bunks and near the fridge door. When we arrive, it goes up on our plywood counter extension (which is not a cabinet - it just sits in the open). I have always thought that the trailer bounce would be too much for a MW sitting that high. We looked at options to hold it down to the counter extension and didn't come up with any fabulous ideas (taking the MW feet off, using longer wing nuts to screw it down to the counter extension was one idea). It now stays in the camper on the floor until we arrive in camp & setup.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 1980-16'
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespnd View Post
Does anyone have a good idea or fastening system for a microwave, small cooler, toaster oven/coffee pot? I'm racking my brain on developing a lock system for the boler counter top. FYI: there is no sink or stove (they are removed). Just a nice pine countertop. I was thinking about a wooden quick lock bracket system that divides and locks each appliance and can be easily removed after transit. Does anyone else have a similar system in place that works for you? Pics would be great!
Wal Mart or equvalent colored bungees. Its been working since 1980 in our then new 16' Scamp.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 1980-16'
Minnesota
Rubber bungees- colored ones don't make marks.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:48 AM   #12

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
My microwave is secured to the counter with the Thumb lock TV grips that Donna D. mentioned.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #13

Name: Pauline
Trailer: Surfside TM14
Alberta
Storing loose items safely in a trailer for traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespnd View Post
I don't have any pictures to share, but we always store additional items in a container on the floor - this is where everything ends up if you stop suddenly or make a sharp turn. Makes sense for it to start out there rather than end up there broken! We also have storage room in our truck box for items that we don't want in the trailer all the time!
PaulineiHill is offline   Reply With Quote