How to Strip Poli-Glow? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #1

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
How to Strip Poli-Glow?

Working on the exterior of our newly aquired 2003 Casita 17SD.

The previous owner used "Poly Glow" on the fiberglass.

He gave me his remaining supply of it along with their product for preping before new applications "Poly Prep". The cleaner is supposed to remove all waxes, dirt and the old Ploy Prep.

I wanted to remove all the Poly Glow and use a good boat wax, but so far, it isn't happening. Any ideas?

Has anyone used or is now using Poly Glow?

Thanks,
Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
They make gel and aerosol strippers. Online, on the boat forums, some suggest ammonia solutions would work and others say no. One guy claimed success with poli prep, which is what I believe you had. Here are some poli strip instructions:

How to Remove Poli Glow | eHow.com

You should be able to find the poli-strip here

Welcome to Poliglow Products - The Manufacturer for Over 15 Years!

I can't suggest using floor Red Maxx floor stripper, but maybe someone's tried it?

Regards,

Matt

P.s. There are some similar threads below with the names of folks you might ping about this.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Kip, obviously you are not lazy like me. I would just wait until age and weather took it off for me. Hopefully someone here has tried removing that stuff by now and can advise you. My only advice would be, try not to work too hard at it!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
that poly prep is pretty rugged stuff....are you sure that isnt removing enough of the old poliglo?
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #5

Georgia
Thanks guys/gals. The Poly Prep just isn't getting the job done.
The links you sent will work. Going to order the striper from Poli Glow.

Problem is that when it was sealed by the previous owner(s) the gelcoat wasn't totally clean. There are stains under the Poli Glow that I need to get to and hopefully remove.

Might just strip the old off and apply new Poli Glow. As the camper is under cover most of the time, a good application of Poli Glow just might
last longer than the 12 months they speak of.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:39 AM   #6

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
You might want to try the REDMAX Stripper it's a LOT cheaper and works great also..I had put Poli-Glow on one of my campers and REDMAX floor finish on the other 2 that I have to see the difference.. Then later I bought some new TRILLIUM 4500 decals and had to strip the poli-glow before applying the decals, so I tried the REDMAX stripper and it worked better that the Poli Prep that came with the Poli-glow package...I'd go for REDMAX Floor Finish if you are going to put it back on a gal. is only $15.00 and it is just as good..I know because I've used both and the Redmax looks better than the POLIGLOW in my opion.. went yesterday to HOME DEPOT and ZEP now has a new one called WET LOOK FLOOR FINISH commercial grade. I'm in the process of redoing my 4th Trillium and I'm going to try it out on it when I start putting it back together.....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #7

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
You might want to try the REDMAX Stripper it's a LOT cheaper and works great also..I had put Poli-Glow on one of my campers and REDMAX floor finish on the other 2 that I have to see the difference.. Then later I bought some new TRILLIUM 4500 decals and had to strip the poli-glow before applying the decals, so I tried the REDMAX stripper and it worked better that the Poli Prep that came with the Poli-glow package...I'd go for REDMAX Floor Finish if you are going to put it back on a gal. is only $15.00 and it is just as good..I know because I've used both and the Redmax looks better than the POLIGLOW in my opion.. went yesterday to HOME DEPOT and ZEP now has a new one called WET LOOK FLOOR FINISH commercial grade. I'm in the process of redoing my 4th Trillium and I'm going to try it out on it when I start putting it back together.....
Thanks Randy,

Do the strippers have any negative effects on decals, like fading them or removing them?

Kip
Old 03-21-2011, 07:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wonder if good ole stinky ammonia would work? It's cheap enough if you can handle the fumes. The lemon scented is a bit more tolerable. I'd make sure there's plenty of ventilation tho...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:53 AM   #9

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Wonder if good ole stinky ammonia would work? It's cheap enough if you can handle the fumes. The lemon scented is a bit more tolerable. I'd make sure there's plenty of ventilation tho...
Hey Donna,
That's a thought!
Might try ammonia in a hidden spot like between the hot water heater and battery compartment. Concerned about applying anything that might cause a chemical reaction that would affect the surface of the gelcoat.

Kip
Old 03-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #10

Kip, I think ammonia was one of the strippers mentioned in the RedMax topic. If you do try it, wear gloves!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #11

The RedMax Stripper is only $8 a gallon i don't think ammonia can be much cheaper than that.................
Old 03-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
The RedMax Stripper is only $8 a gallon i don't think ammonia can be much cheaper than that.................
How about eight gallons for $8 total at Dollar Tree: Totally Awesome Pure Ammonia
Old 03-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
How about eight gallons for $8 total at Dollar Tree: Totally Awesome Pure Ammonia

What can I say Donna you out did me on this one
Old 03-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #14

I love the dollar stores. If I screw up at least it doesn't cost me much